Barking Complaints

Hey gang, I haven't been on for a while but I would love some advice.

It's been brought to my attention from one of my neigbours that apparently my puppy Ike has been barking non stop in the afternoon/ night. What can I do about it... Obvously I can't e home 24 hours a day but I think that thy might be over doing it a bit, we have been warned befor about his barking and have taken the correct measures of minimizing it, how ever one neigbour has brought it up again!

We live in a small complex of about 8 units.

Ike is kept inside during the night while we sleep, and on the rare occasion that we go out at night he is kept in his crate that's also inside. The neigbour in question is threatening to have us reportedand or have Ike taken from us... Is there anything we can do to either protect Ike from being taken or is being removed from out house???

We run and train him every day. My partner is home during the day, but the complaint came about yesterday afternoon saying that Ike had been apparently barking for 2 hours between 5-7 pm

If you want to avoid having the council involved, you'll have to deal with the barking quickly.

There are quite a few threads on here about resolving barking issues but a start point is probably to buy and fit an aversive "anti-bark" collar.

There are several kinds with the jet spray type and the electronic collar type. I'd be starting there.

We actually have bought one and the batteries had run out on Saturday afternoon, otherwise it's kept on him at all times when he is out side

We actually have bought one and the batteries had run out on Saturday afternoon, otherwise it's kept on him at all times when he is out side

So he wasnt' inside at the time? I think that might be the first step to take. Crate him when you're out.

Well thys what usually happens it was just yesterday afternoon we were late coming home, that's when we got the complaint... Over facebook.. And I thought we were all adults lol

Over facebook..

you have neighbours as FB'friends' ???

What sort of bark is it? if it is a lonely /agitated bark ..I would be a bit concerned that a no bark collar may make him more anxious, that's all ...

Does he bark at the movement /sound of people? or is he playing with moving toys,and yipping? maybe get a recording of it - so you know exactly what it is you are dealing with ,first.

Well the neigbour is a person that I went to school with ages ago and we just recently or back in contact

As or the barking it's more of a grouwl then bark which to me is as if he is warning something off.. It's not that his barking at nothing, it's generally a possum or cat

I don't approve of the way your neighbour is threatening you -firstly check with your council - I don't think there is anyway your dog can be "removed" from your house.

If your neighbour does lodge a complaint then you will have a chance to reply and the complainant will have to keep a diary of the noise - it is a long process to go through.

firstly I would be trying to figure out why Ike is barking....you can adopt many different approaches to stop the barking but unitl you know why he is barking you won't be able to "fix" the problem permanantly.

Edited by missmoo

Personally I think she is over reacting, I mean if it's been a real issue why is she the only one that is and has ever complained, to me it sounds like she is just trying to be painful, I've written a letter to all the people in my complex saying that I have tecieved a complaint about ike's barking if this is true please come speak to me... Obvously not in those words but something of that nature. Do you think that's a good idea?

dont write it just go and knock on the door say hey im such and such i was wondering if my dog has been barking at all. play it nice just say you got told that he maybe and you where concerned. give them ur number and say please call if he is barking annoyingly. is she a direct neighbour or a near by one? could be another dog also?

i agree with videoing seeing whats going on also.

Our neighbors had someone complain about their dog and they went around the block door knocking to appologise for their dog barking and asking if anyone had a problem with it. People need to understand that dogs do bark, especially young ones.

Well unfortunatly I'm dealing with an idiot that tells me that ike's breed of dog isn't ment to bark! Pfft yeah good one mate sorry to say but dogs bark.. It's there way of communicating,

I don't approve of the way your neighbour is threatening you -firstly check with your council - I don't think there is anyway your dog can be "removed" from your house.

Dont worry someone from DAS isnt going to come knocking on your door and take your dog away from you. It is quite an involved process and you will be given every chance to rectify the behaviour. At most you may recieve a fine initially. The ACT government seem to be in favour of the dog owner at the moment. My friend has just been the complainant as the 2 dogs next door to her bark constantly (having witnessed it they do), the owners were good about it, got a trainer in and made good inroads then slackend off, the dogs are barking again and she cant be bothered jumping through the hoops again and are just hoping the move soon