Travelling Up North With Your Dog?

Dont forget there are also scorpions, centipedes etc. We also have some cockroaches that will squirt a foul liquid out thier behinds, if it gets in his eyes you will know it. Other than that, we are pretty safe here!!! :laugh:

Could you get him a runner or something to secure him with, like a lead on a long wire, so he gets the feeling he can leave but is still restricted. Just for your peace of mind. Keep in mind at this time of the year in Central OZ we are donw to 2 degrees overnight, so he might want a jacket to keep him warm. The temp is still dropping in Alice, we have just reached 17.7 degrees for the day!!!! Its predicted to statr hitting zero overnight in the next few days. (I really shouldnt check the weather like I do, it scares me)

Jimmy I think Pacers do doggy first aid kits - might be worth thinking about? If he is going to the vet anyway you could always ask about some antibiotics,cream etc;our vet will give us a small supply of 'essentials' to take away (and we are not camping)! We usually get some antibiotic tablets,neomycin cream or similar and metacam for our two.I take some probiotic powder for upset tums as well. So far we have only really used the cream & antibiotics once for hotspots but I feel better knowing we have emergency stuff with us and it saves having to try and find a vet in an unfamiliar place for small stuff,although I would obviously take them if it was something serious.

Just read this back and feel like a paranoid, over protective nutter now LOL. I didn't realise we took so much stuff as I have just added bits overtime. OH and I have some 2 year old bandaids and nothing else in our kit. :laugh:

A supply of make-dog-vomit might be handy for getting a bait back. Very salty water will do, but it's hard to get the dose right, same with a crystal or two of washing soda. There must be something more reliable and less risky. Vomit treatment not so good for dealing with something spikey like squid jag that will do just as much damage coming back as it did going in.

Sounds like fun. Spinifex or triodi? is no fun for dogs - the tips of the stuff breaks off and makes for little pus filled infections. And there are evil pandanas? palms in the Kimberley with fish hooks along the edges of the leaves - ground level and up. I'm sure a dog will learn to stay away from those. I wore leather gaiters (from equestrian shop - "chappettes") for our entire trip.

My mum managed to collect two ticks, one on her ear lobe - looked like a ruby stud - oops. And another one down her shirt. Made me really paranoid. But I didn't go crawling over rocks following a "paint" trail that turned out to be splashes of white bird droppings. Oops again.

Loads of people have dogs up there so it must be ok.

I don't have much advice because I'm not much of a camper but I grew up in Katherine and my advice would be to not leave him loose unsupervised. One of my friends had his dog taken by a croc right in front of him when walking his two dogs along the edge of the river IN TOWN. There are massive crocodiles out there that will happily eat people let alone dogs.

I used to walk Buster down through the bush near the river but not near the water, he went out of sight once and my heart stopped when I saw him down getting a drink.

Sure you'd probably be pretty unlikely to have something that tragic happen (I also would often see people letting up to 5 dogs splash around and swim in the river) but you'd be kicking yourself if it did.

Enjoy yourself though, its the msot beautiful place in the world up there, I miss it everyday.

Edited by B-Q

• 2 months later...

Got back yesterday after 6 weeks away. Took the dog and he was fine.

Only things to watch out for are dingo and 1080. There is bait everywhere. Even National Parks have them in SA. We saw and heard lots of dingoes. On the nights we thought dingoes were nearby we kept him inside. Otherwise he slept on his bed outside.

On 2 nights we had dingos creeping up on the dog while we were sitting around the campfire and he was chasing mice nearby. Went to the loo and shined the light out and would catch dingos up very close and very quiet, sometimes working together...50-75m from our camp.

Not sure what to expect if he met a dingo, i assume it would kill him pretty easily. Also saw a few wild dogs but not so close to camp.

Hope this is useful to some one else travelling.

Glad it all went well.

I can't help thinking about the two men who have recently gone missing from the Stuart Highway. Makes me think of Wolf Creek.

Camping out there, I've had dingos follow me to my toilet spot and watch and wait - glad they waited but it was disconcerting to have an audience. Hopefully I foiled their vitamin quest by putting a very heavy rock over the top when I was done. But not every camp site had rocks.

One camp - I heard dogs sniffing outside my swag. And I was a bit worried about dog cocking leg on my swag. I did a lot of growling and swag flapping but I wasn't coming out. Didn't hear any water noise.

Another camp - three bars of soap went missing off the back bumpers of three different 4WD. And one pair of rubber gloves. We were keeping an eye out for a dingo blowing bubbles out his back end after that. Ye old velvet yellow soap is pretty close to pure fat as far as a dingo is concerned. There was a lot of sniffing around my tent that night too.

Glad it all went well.

I can't help thinking about the two men who have recently gone missing from the Stuart Highway. Makes me think of Wolf Creek.

Camping out there, I've had dingos follow me to my toilet spot and watch and wait - glad they waited but it was disconcerting to have an audience. Hopefully I foiled their vitamin quest by putting a very heavy rock over the top when I was done. But not every camp site had rocks.

One camp - I heard dogs sniffing outside my swag. And I was a bit worried about dog cocking leg on my swag. I did a lot of growling and swag flapping but I wasn't coming out. Didn't hear any water noise.

Another camp - three bars of soap went missing off the back bumpers of three different 4WD. And one pair of rubber gloves. We were keeping an eye out for a dingo blowing bubbles out his back end after that. Ye old velvet yellow soap is pretty close to pure fat as far as a dingo is concerned. There was a lot of sniffing around my tent that night too.

I hope you dug a hole to do your business in. :bottom: