Travelling Up North With Your Dog?

We have an awesome kelpie, rescued via the super friendly people on this forum nearly 5 years ago.

We are off to NT, Kimberley, Central Oz. Aside from trying to prevent him from being bitten by snakes and crocs, applying the anti tick stuff often...I have built a rear storage shelf in 4x4 so he has a palatial space in the back with own window and bedding. We will feed him in the arvo/evening only to avoid travelling accidents. We wont tie him up at night cos he is a afraid of the dark when we are out camping and wont go too far. Couple fo places arent dog friendly and we havent quite taught him how to hide under blanket so we will have him baby sat once or twice.

What else do people consider when taking the dog up north?

PS if he did get bit by a snake is it the same procedure for dogs as for people?

Edited by JimmyTheHuman

If it were me I would keep the dog confined at night.

I agree, I know I would sleep better at night if the my dog was confined to something like a crate, while I was asleep. :D

Sounds like an awesome trip! I def agree with the others, best to keep him contained at night, crate would be a good idea. He may stick close to you most of the time but if a roo or rabbit streaks across his path he will take off! If he ends up on a property he risks being shot by a farmer protecting their stock.

Have an awesome time!!

When are you going? Heat can be a worry. Not much of a problem this time of the year. Take the crocodile thing very serious. Crocs love dogs. I stayed in Broome for a while and went on a overnight fishing trip with some blokes. They told me don't bring your dog cause of the crocs. They were right, I shone my torch on the water at night and there were heaps of red eyes looking out of the water :eek: . I would definately contain your dog at night.

He would normally sleep in the annex at night...but not tied up and no we dont put him in a crate. Either tied up or told to stay close...he is pretty reliable. I will take the water serious, not my first time up there and i know its a real risk.

We are going into NT, Kimberly, Central Oz and SA deserts. Its all mid year, no worries with heat. I will get heart worm tablets as well.

He would normally sleep in the annex at night...but not tied up and no we dont put him in a crate. Either tied up or told to stay close...he is pretty reliable. I will take the water serious, not my first time up there and i know its a real risk.

We are going into NT, Kimberly, Central Oz and SA deserts. Its all mid year, no worries with heat. I will get heart worm tablets as well.

Could you get some sort of foldable mesh gate to put across the annex? Crocs ARE a worry. Or I have seen those 4WD with top racks that fold out a tent

If you are okay with it would you put up a few of the places you stay along the way? And where you leave the dog when you go somewhere with no dogs allowed? I would love to do the trip at some point and any tips would be great :)

I see you have mentioned that there are a few places dogs aren't allowed. I have always wanted to do the 'outback' trip but many people have advised I don't take dogs as some NP lands & Indigenous lands don't allow dogs. Would be a good idea to research this thoroughly if you haven't already.

One book that I absolutely love is called 'Outback Mongrel' & the author/photographer takes his dogs on an outback journey which is AMAZING but I do remember reading that at a few places he had special permission to allow him to take his dogs.

Have fun!! :)

How reliable would he be if a few dingos came through the camp looking for soap or scraps?

Or the dogs associated with the property that you camp on?

Or what about a few cows, donkeys or roos?

I have opened the door of the tent and looked out to find the tent surrounded by cows.

I've also had swag and tent thoroughly inspected by dingos. It's weird to wake up to a sniffing sound and pray it doesn't change to the sound of a cocked leg.

I could not sleep at night with my dog outside.

When we have taken our dogs with us they sleep inside the camper with us.

I currently have two friends traveling around Australia with two cattle dogs so it can be done. They have had to kennel them a couple of times. If they just want to go scuba diving or into a national park they have been paying back packers to mind the dogs. They put a notice up at the local back packers and have been over whelmed with the response. Back packers are always short of cash so its a win win situation.

I am not sure it is something I would do but it is working for them.

I lived in the West Kimberley for 8 years and found it very dog friendly -was about 10 years ago though.

Near the coast and when on salt water rivers keep dogs away from the water. I wouldn't sleep on the ground or in a tent near salt water and I wouldn't have a dog there either. But if you go inland a bit most of the rivers and gorges are safe and the dog will have a wonderful time. The Gibb River Rd is perfect and safe North / inland from May River.

The Kimberley doesn't have paralysis ticks but lots of cattle ticks. And heartworm is about so take precautions.

Snakes are no worse than other parts of bushland Australia.

I currently have two friends traveling around Australia with two cattle dogs so it can be done. They have had to kennel them a couple of times. If they just want to go scuba diving or into a national park they have been paying back packers to mind the dogs. They put a notice up at the local back packers and have been over whelmed with the response. Back packers are always short of cash so its a win win situation.

I am not sure it is something I would do but it is working for them.

I would never have thought of doing that, but in the right circumstances, what a good idea. :thumbsup:

Have you thought about a leptospirosis vaccination depending on where you are going along the way? Worth checking if he will be around billabongs etc (or anywhere there might be rats) in areas it is present. The vaccination isn't 100% (like most) but if you are going into a risk area I would consider getting him done.

I did the Kimberleys and down the wa coast for 6 months in 2006 with Carlin (Black Labbie) and Clancy who was a young Whippet then, in fact he had his 1st birthday in the camp at Kununurra showgrounds!

I had no problems, but remember the crocs, the dingoes (got stalked by a male at Finke just last year), wild camels can spook a dog who is not used to them, and some of the Indiginous camps have some pretty rough and ready dogs so remember that too, especially if you are going through the Central Desert and the desert communities in top end of SA too, you may get a few camp dogs around some of the outback fuel stops too, there's always a few hanging around places like Ti Tree out of Alice and the roadhouses up here in the top end.

Oh, watch out for those signs that tell you areas have been baited, they had just baited large tracts of land through the Kimberleys in 06 and I was very careful.

The thing is though to get up there and enjoy that wonderful country NOW, the Kimberleys is being sold off to mining and gas people and pretty soon the whole nature of the area will be changed and a very special place will be lost - it is a crime against Australia as a whole.

Annie

Thanks for all of the replies...i appreciate the caution. We are a very experienced camping family and i know my dog doesnt leave the annex at night at all..it has sides and a roof...we have had others campers dogs come in and he barks and growls and stuff but stays close to us...i honestly think he is scared of the dark :) He is booked into the vet for annual vacs and the wife will make sure they give us everything we need for heartworm and kennel cough. Never heard of leptosprirosis so will ask about that too thank you.

I will be cautious about him getting belted by local dogs.

Gas and Mining aren't the big concerns, its the WA gov kicking people off their long leases and giving these small outback business to thier rich mates to build 'eco' resorts and other crap...google Mt Hart for a horrifying example.

Happy to post up some details, but only after we get back :)

As others have said, Crocs and Dingos are a couple of things to be wary of. Another thing is to check the properties you will be driving through, as sometimes they have spread 1080 bait around to kill the dingoes. Should he pick one of those up, its just a lump of meat soaked in the poison, he wont have much of a chance unless you get him to a vet in a hurry. I have seen dogs go absolutely mad on those before they die. They usually sign the area before htey spread the bait, but dont rely on that.

Is he entire? Dingoes will use a bitch in heat to lure dogs away from campsites, so while you may trust him to stay, he is a dog and will go and check the smell.

Watch out around some of the towns, as the camp dogs roam loose and can be in big packs around the rest stops. They are usually wary of humans but another dog would be a different story. They also carry fleas, ticks and mange, so make sure you have treatments for that.

How big is he? If he is a big dog, no worries, but smaller dogs can get taken by wedge tail eagles if you are not watching. Just something to watch out for.

Other than that, just the normal stuff like burrs, grass seeds etc, and remember to have some fun and we want photos. if you come through Alice let me know.

As others have said, Crocs and Dingos are a couple of things to be wary of. Another thing is to check the properties you will be driving through, as sometimes they have spread 1080 bait around to kill the dingoes. Should he pick one of those up, its just a lump of meat soaked in the poison, he wont have much of a chance unless you get him to a vet in a hurry. I have seen dogs go absolutely mad on those before they die. They usually sign the area before htey spread the bait, but dont rely on that.

Is he entire? Dingoes will use a bitch in heat to lure dogs away from campsites, so while you may trust him to stay, he is a dog and will go and check the smell.

Watch out around some of the towns, as the camp dogs roam loose and can be in big packs around the rest stops. They are usually wary of humans but another dog would be a different story. They also carry fleas, ticks and mange, so make sure you have treatments for that.

How big is he? If he is a big dog, no worries, but smaller dogs can get taken by wedge tail eagles if you are not watching. Just something to watch out for.

Other than that, just the normal stuff like burrs, grass seeds etc, and remember to have some fun and we want photos. if you come through Alice let me know.

Nah he been fixed...he is a transexual now? We spend so much time in the high country i am always cautious of the bait signs. I have heard some horrible stories...i thought there was nothing you could do for 1080, slow horrible death?

Not a big dog, just kelpie. He is 5 but only pic online i have is at 6months IMG_1758.jpg