New Puppy

PickledRoo

A few things you can do in preparation for thier first clip if you don't want to take your pup to the groomers so early, regular brushing so pup gets used to the brush starting immediatley. Take pup in the bathroom with you while you are using the hairdryer. If you have an electric shaver or hair clippers turn them on around pup without making a fuss and/or feeding some treats. I know a few people who have similar cross and did no prep and took pup to groomers at around 7 months for clip and the dogs just didn't cope. It is something that your pup will require frequently so the more pleasant the experience the better, for the pup and the groomer. Nothing worse than grooming an uncooperative dog! if you are confident you could do around eyes, ears backside yourself, or take pup to groomer and get them to show you how to do it yourself.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snap poodle fan!

I never took mine that early but did lots of preparation for when they needed to go and did a lot myself. I didn't stick with pro groomer long I decided I would give it a go myself and we haven't looked back.

Edited by tlc

Snap poodle fan!

I know a few pro-groomers who dread these sorts of jobs but do it for the welfare of the dog. It would be rare to see an ungroomed 6 month old dog with poodle coat (or even worse double coat that includes a non-shedding layer) that does not require some scissoring to remove mats.

Few sellers of these sorts of pups provide any decent advice on how to keep them well brushed and combed. A cheap slicker brush is NOT going to do the job on its own but that's what I've seen people walk out of pet shops with.

You and I both know that these sorts of coats require effort to keep in good shape.

I also groom my own dogs.. as the numbers climb it's too cost prohibitive to do anything else. They get done on average once a month.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't think its too necessary to see the groomers that early.

Ask groomers what they think of that.. the idea of seeing a pup aged 6-7 months (which is, coincidentally about the time of their second fear period) that's got a lot of hair on its face, feet and tail and will likely not be a straight forward bath, blow wave and groom would not be high on their list of favourite jobs.

A poodle pup bred by a responsible groomer would have its first bath and very minor face feet and tail clip aged 6 weeks. It's so much kinder to accustom them to the process of grooming little and often than to face a major grooming session for the first time in an adolescent pup.

It's traumatic for the dog and for the groomer. :(

Yup, hence my comment about agreeing them to see the groomers early on. But what I am trying to say and I will say it more clearly- it probably isn't necessary to get the full on short clip! Especially coming into winter.

I totally agree with you! I do my lot on average around every 8 - 10 weeks and the longer they get the more brushing dematting they need. With all of mine around the 7 - 12 month stage was when they lost thier puppy coat and thier adult coat started to come through, it is a nightmare time for these sorts of crosses with matts occuring over night but with proper grooming this can be avoided. I know a few owners of these dogs that were told never to clip before the adult coat come through, they say it will damage the coat, I think thats a load of rubbish as the coat is going to get clipped off anyway?? Not sure about purebreds that have coats that need to be clipped regularly.

I totally agree with you! I do my lot on average around every 8 - 10 weeks and the longer they get the more brushing dematting they need. With all of mine around the 7 - 12 month stage was when they lost thier puppy coat and thier adult coat started to come through, it is a nightmare time for these sorts of crosses with matts occuring over night but with proper grooming this can be avoided. I know a few owners of these dogs that were told never to clip before the adult coat come through, they say it will damage the coat, I think thats a load of rubbish as the coat is going to get clipped off anyway?? Not sure about purebreds that have coats that need to be clipped regularly.

Coat change tends to occur a bit later in poodles and is a nightmare stage. I swear it mats as you watch it. :eek:

KatieP:

Yup, hence my comment about agreeing them to see the groomers early on. But what I am trying to say and I will say it more clearly- it probably isn't necessary to get the full on short clip! Especially coming into winter.

Agree but if this pup has poodle type coat (which it appears to), it will have its feet face and tail clipped and be body clipped every time it goes to the groomers, not just to shorten its coat for summer. All that changes in the procedure is the length of the blade used. I've yet to meet a pet poodle owner who kept their dogs in anything but a lamb style clip without a hell of a lot of effort being put in to maintain it. :(

Edited by poodlefan

Yeah that is the clip I was thinking of.......terribly common!

Out of interest Poodle Fan, was is the name of the proper clip poodles should be clipped in? Probably something that breeders need to specify to pet owners.....

Yeah that is the clip I was thinking of.......terribly common!

Out of interest Poodle Fan, was is the name of the proper clip poodles should be clipped in? Probably something that breeders need to specify to pet owners.....

There are lots of clipping possiblities from the full "show" clips of Scandinavian, Lion and Continental (not for the faint hearted to maintain) to the popular "Lamb" (long ears, clipped body, scissored legs, head and tail poms), "Teddy Bear" (longer hair on muzzle and body somewhat like TLC's dogs) or my favourite for my boys "Sporting" (short ears, no tail pom, clipped body and shorter legs).

One of the joys of the fleece coat is you can have it styled in lots of different ways. For this pup, I'd go with the usual shorter face and feet and probably leave the tail the same length as the body. The area under the tail would need to be kept clipped very short for hygiene reasons.

Edited by poodlefan

As an owner of a standard poodle, I just want to agree with PF, on the early clipping. We had our baby clipped for the first time within a week of her coming home. It was moreso to get he used to the scissors and clippers, than she needed it. She has been groomed regularly since, apparently she jumps up on the table and stays there politley till she is finished. She bounces out of the groomers with an extra perk in her tail, and a look at me mum I'm beautiful stance. She is in a lamb clip, bit longer in winter than summer. 6-8 weekly we get her clipped. When my hair needs to be dyed, my dog needs to be clipped. The groomer tells me she is good to clip in that she is polite and stays still. She just happily sits there and takes the attention being dolled out. I know so many dogs that hate being clipped. Some are even sedated. Getting them used to clipping makes life much easier. As puppies they may fuss a little, but they soon learn its ok. My girl originally did not like her face and feet being done, now she is fine even with them.

Wow,Geez thank you all so very much.

(Had to go and do some work for the day) :scared:

I understand the whole grooming thing. Getting her used to it.

What about brushes etc for simple coat maintenance, I will be going past a store this evening

and want to have an idea before walking in.

I will be printing all this out for the other half to read as well.

Cheers :)

Wow,Geez thank you all so very much.

(Had to go and do some work for the day) :scared:

I understand the whole grooming thing. Getting her used to it.

What about brushes etc for simple coat maintenance, I will be going past a store this evening

and want to have an idea before walking in.

I will be printing all this out for the other half to read as well.

Cheers :)

I would ask the groomer to have a good look at her coat type and recommend them. From what I can see from the pic you will need a decent quality slicker brush and a fine/medium metal comb for her. You are unlikely to get anything of decent quality from your average pet store. :(

You will also need decent quality nail clippers. Ditto to finding them in a pet store either.

Slightly OT, but PF, do you have pic of one of your dogs with a sporting clip? I think that's the clip I would have on my 'someday' Std Poodle, but I rarely see photos of it.

Here's two of Mr Darcy. I think it looks really smart on the Standard Poods. :)

Darcy.jpg

DarcyGoulburn-1.jpg

Edited to add Lily in lamb clip because she's sooo gorgeous.

LilytheDiva-1.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks PF. I love the ears and his clipped out face, think I'll want the top of mine's head a little shorter, but otherwise VERY nice.

Some ideas for you there PickledRoo.

Yeah, the top of his pom is a bit high in those shots. It's shorter now.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Man, PF, if I could 'like' your posts, I would do so a million times over. The thing that owners don't realise about growing their dogs coats out and then insisting that they stay long is the PAIN that the dogs are in while the hapless groomer attempts to brush them out. Grooming is such a traumatic experience for a first time six month old, and I can say that with a lot of experience.

My pup is 4 months old and stands on a grooming table to be brushed, and is more than happy to be bathed in the sink. People assume it's because I'm a groomer (and wave my magical grooming wand I guess?) but it's actually because I had Luke stand in front of him and feed him treat after treat as I touched him with the brush and have already bathed him 3 times since I had him. He freaked out in the hydro at work like any normal puppy, but he's so good now. He's a Pap, and gets pretty dirty. I can't imagine how dirty and crusty a Poodle or poo x pup would get!

To the OP - something REALLY important that you need to remember is to brush your dog before and after you bath it at home, because most hybrid coats matt like CRAZY if you don't. Also, please buy a comb and make sure you brush all the way down to the skin. It's always pretty awful showing the owners the matts on the skin of their dog when they have never been shown how to brush properly and only do the top of the coat. Ask your groomer to show you how to brush properly :) I used to work at a Best Friends and made it a priority to show every puppy owner how to do it. Not that a lot of them listened, but what can you do!

Good luck with your new baby :)

E x

:thumbsup: to everyone's replies, and to PickledRoo for doing the research!! Your puppy is adorable!

It has already been said but just wanted to re-emphasise how important it is to do all the things you'll need to do for grooming later, even if the puppy doesn't actually need it now.

I made the mistake (not consciously, just didn't think about it or know better) of not trimming the bottom of Saxon's feet regularly when he was a baby because they didn't actually need it. I did regularly brushing and clipping/scissoring of everywhere else but didn't do his feet until he was nearly 1 I think when I noticed the hair growing over the foot pads. Because he wasn't used to it he hated it and it's now taken almost another year to build up to him letting me do a whole foot in one go, we had to build up basically from one clip with the scissors, treat, let him go, a bit later two clips etc etc. Big fat pain!!

Oh BTW - Saxon is a poodle x maltese, he has a curly but fine coat that matts all over the place if I don't brush and trim out knots every couple of days!

Edited by Saxonpup