Too Skinny/seems To Be Losing Weight Not Putting It On

So Keira my 3 1/2 yo Ridge X (Pig dog mix) has a pretty severe case of HD in both hips, she also had a luxatting patella at 10 months which was surgically fixed and she also tends to have very very bad skin. Ie: She had demodex mites at 4 months old and has always had allergic reactions etc.

Currently she seems to be too skinny and I can't seem to get her to put weight on and she actually seems to be losing weight. Although I don't want her to be overweight at all due to her hips she definitely looks too skinny. Here are some pics taken last night (sorry phone quality):

keiraskinny.jpg

keiraskinny2.jpg

She is mostly on a raw diet although I supplement that with some dry dog food but not lots. Mostly they (her and my young dog) eat mixed mince (roo, beef, chicken), some chicken meat, chicken frames, 1 or so raw eggs a week, steak, the odd left overs ie: pasta etc, some milk, and I usually give them rice or rolled oats(cooked) with their food. My young dogs seems to be thriving (9 months old) and is putting on some bulk now as she matures but Keira just seems to be losing weight.

Keira also currently is having a terrible flea allergy reaction and the fur on her back from her tail up to about mid way is very thin, shorter than the rest and very course. I have tried de-fleaing the entire house including washing everything (my bedding, their bedding, the blankets on the couch, toys, etc etc) flea bombing the house, flea treating the dogs with capstar and shampoos and they still seem to have fleas.

I have been to several vets and at the moment Keira is on Missing Link, she was on chinese herbs but they have just run out and she is on a vitamin tablet, I also wash her in medicated shampoo. None of this seems to be working anymore (I saw an improvement when I first started using a few things but seems not to be working any longer). I might try and get her back onto Volcomin because that seemed to have the best effects on her. She has also previously been on Antibiotics and within a week of being on them she was hospitalised with Pancreatitis so I am not real keen to put her back on them. I am also giving her some AntiInflams to try and stop her skin from being so itchy and it seems to help a bit.

Can anyone suggest a good way of getting her to put some weight on? And can anyone suggest a very very good flea treatment (I would prefer something that isn't spot on because I just cannot see that being good on her very sore looking skin) something that will 99% work?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dog with weight loss, skin and coat issues would be a dog I'd be heading to the vet with.

I'd be wanting a thryoid test done. Increasing the amount of fat in her food would help a healthy dog gain weight but a dog that suffers from pancreatitis doesn't have that option and you need to eliminate any underlying health issues first.

Edited by poodlefan

A dog with weight loss, skin and coat issues would be a dog I'd be heading to the vet with.

I'd be wanting a thryoid test done. Increasing the amount of fat in her food would help a healthy dog gain weight but a dog that suffers from pancreatitis doesn't have that option and you need to eliminate any underlying health issues first.

I agree with PF. A young dog loosing weight like that needs a vet visit asap. Take it from me I have lost my old cat & dog both in the last four weeks(one to cancer the other to heart probs) and the first sign something was wrong with both was weight loss. Pity they cant tell us how they feel!

Thanks PF. I actually was suspect of Thyroid issues a while back (there is a thread in here somewhere) but I asked my vet and he was pretty convinced it wasn't a thyroid issue. I am leaning towards getting the test done but obviously want to send it to Jean Dodds in the US for testing.

As mentioned Vets (multiple different ones) have seen her and everything has been pretty much just flea allergy treat with this etc and bad hips treat with this. The best improvement she had was on Volcomin (which is why I suspected Thyroid because Volcomin is supposed to be good for it)but it ran out and the vet didn't tell me to get anymore. I might chase some more up.

She doesn't seem to be in pain but she is an extremely stoic dog (more than usual, I think because she was born with HD pain is just something she has gotten used to) and her left hip is completely out, she has arthritis in her knee and hips and yet the only reason you can tell is because she swings her butt as she walks. Could weight loss be caused by stress or pain? Even though she isn't showing any physical signs of being in pain?

I agree with PF. A young dog loosing weight like that needs a vet visit asap. Take it from me I have lost my old cat & dog both in the last four weeks(one to cancer the other to heart probs) and the first sign something was wrong with both was weight loss. Pity they cant tell us how they feel!

Oh no :( I am so sorry for your losses.

With multiple health concerns, and now weight loss- I think a vet visit would be a very wise move.

Hopefully you can get some answers....

Maybe some bloods are in order just to check for regular things to start off with.

It is literally only been 1 month since the last she was at the vet just for a regular visit and some chiro.

Thanks PF. I actually was suspect of Thyroid issues a while back (there is a thread in here somewhere) but I asked my vet and he was pretty convinced it wasn't a thyroid issue. I am leaning towards getting the test done but obviously want to send it to Jean Dodds in the US for testing.

As mentioned Vets (multiple different ones) have seen her and everything has been pretty much just flea allergy treat with this etc and bad hips treat with this. The best improvement she had was on Volcomin (which is why I suspected Thyroid because Volcomin is supposed to be good for it)but it ran out and the vet didn't tell me to get anymore. I might chase some more up.

She doesn't seem to be in pain but she is an extremely stoic dog (more than usual, I think because she was born with HD pain is just something she has gotten used to) and her left hip is completely out, she has arthritis in her knee and hips and yet the only reason you can tell is because she swings her butt as she walks. Could weight loss be caused by stress or pain? Even though she isn't showing any physical signs of being in pain?

I'd go with your gut and have it done. If its not thryroid, at least that's one issue eliminated from the possibilities.

I think one of the issues with switching vets is that they judge the dog on the day and you don't build up a history of issues that the vet has records of. I'd recommend you find a vet that WILL do the tests you want and stick to them.

Yeah I had a vet that I liked who did her Patella surgery but we moved and we were no longer able to go there. I have been having a hard time finding a vet I liked since then and at the moment our main vets and someone Keira has seen on 4 - 5 occasions over the past couple months is a Chiropractic Vet, I mainly see him to help her HD though. I think I now live close by the vet my trainers use and rave about so will ask them who they would recommend and go from there.

Thanks all will look into some general blood tests and getting the thyroid testing done.

I would start with a good quality dog probiotic,cure any gut issues and make sure she will actually absorb nutrients from the food she is getting.

I would use Dr Krugers Joint and Muscle,it will help her gut,her joints and also has a whole bunch of anti inflammatory herbs in it as well. You can order off this site and get it sent from NZ to Aust.

http://www.lapdog.co.nz/proddetail.php?prod=DKJM3&PHPSESSID=d105616091e8bcb146da646f4f3aba55

Also your diet IMO is not balanced at all.

Raw in itself is not a high fat diet,but you certainly can overdo fat by feeding say fatty lamb offcuts. I would'nt add pasta etc,carbs like that promote inflammation.

I would try something like K9 Natural ,you can buy this in Australia freeze dried,though it is'nt cheap, and you rehydrate with water. To this I would add a chicken frame as a bone to chew with excess fat removed and see what haopens in 2-4 weeks. You should see a HUGE difference by then. Also her skin should clear up markedly.

I will take a stab and guess her optimum weight is about 20-23 kgs? So I would feed 150g of freeze dried K9 a day rehydrated with 450mls of warm,not hot water. You can mix the gut supplement in this just before you give it to her. That amount is for a 30kg dog but you are trying to get weight on,so that is why I suggest a higher amount.

If she was my dog here in my house that is what I would do ,though to cover myself from attacks from everyone,all the above is my opinion. But I also feel strongly it would work.

You need to treat her from the inside out,get her on the right eating regime for a start. Feeding K9 natural they have done the work for you. The amount you spend on it you will save on all the other treatmenets you are trying. Believe me I was there with my first dog 15 years ago and you won't win till you get the food right and her immune system boosted!

One Vet I was with when I first asked for (and insisted on) bloods to be drawn so I could check thyroid (via Dr Jean Dodds) was, like yours, convinced there was no thyroid issue, either. I asked the Vet to humour me. Took the bloods and it did eventuate that my boy was hypothyroidic.

I agree with PF - and if she hadn't said it, I would have. And I think you're right about sending to Dr Jean Dodds USA for testing. It's a bit like motor mechanics when you tell them your car is running a bit rough. The first thing they often look at are the spark plugs. It's easy to do, doesn't cost a lot to fix and given that the car won't run well unless they are in good condition, it's a pretty logical first place to look at. The spark plugs for cars is as thyroid is for people and animals.

I also have questions in my mind such as what your dog is like on different foods? ETA: I agree with Tomas - it does look like something that's coming more from within than from without.

ETA: Are those hives itchy for your dog? Are they erupting, or do they go down? What does your dog's coat feel like? (ETA : I feel a "Calendula moment" coming on.)

ETA: Sorry - re-read you post. Obviously you will need to get the fleas under control, but you could try stopping with the shampoos and simply using Calendula Tea washes on her. 2-3 times a day for the first one or two days. Then, if it is improving, back it down accordingly. You should see signs of improvement inside the first 24-48 hours (that is my general experience of it) so it is not as though you'll spend weeks before you know if it is doing anything or not.

Edited by Erny

Comfortis flea chews are made by the same company that makes Capstar (I think) but it provides month long protection instead of just the day or so that capstar provides.

You are right, your dog is really underweight. I think the flea problem is also pressing, but fleas prefer animals with a low immune system, so I personally would first try to get a number of other health issues in order and then look at the flea problem. I am afraid you might have caused some allergic reactions with flea bombing the house. No offence, you tried to get rid of them and after all that rain they are everywhere!

If she was my dog, I would get her to a vet and send some blood plasma to Dr Jean Dodds. The standard T3, T4, Free T3 and Free T4 tests which are done here in Australia do not necessarily show you the results you need. Both my dogs were fine with these values, but after sending samples to Jean, we learned that one of my dogs was hypothyroid and the other one suffers from autoimmune thyroiditis. Please let me know, if you need a vet who is willing to prepare the blood samples, mine does and I had to go through 4 vets to find one!

A full blood count would also be worthwhile to check, if there is any infection or other health issue going on. I would also take an urine sample to the vet to have it checked in the lab.

Is there any chance that Keira has worms?

Are you using products for flea and tick control such as Frontline Plus or Advantix? Many allergies are being caused by those products.

The way her feet are pointing could indicate some mis-alignment in her spine, but could well also be caused by her hips. A good animal chiropractor could be beneficial.

Does she suffer from digestive problems (diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, noisy abdomen, etc.)?

Suffering from pancreatitis really makes it difficult to use fats as a pancreatitic dog should be on a low fat, low carbohydrate diet.

Therefore rice, pasta, oats, etc. should be cut out of her diet. Those carbs can also cause inflammation. I would not use milk products either. Please boil the egg as raw eggs deplete the liver of Vit B.

Please check with your vet, if she can have good oils such as Omega 3 fatty acids. I also have the impression she is lacking a few basic vitamins such as Vit C and E. Other good supplements would probably be probiotics and digestive enzymes. Again, check with the vet.

In pancreatitis Selenium is often used as an antioxidant and there are also some homeopathic remedies and Australian Bush Flower Essences which could be given.

Once you have a diagnose, acupressure could be very helpful too.

Please keep us updated!

Dagmar

Thank you all for replying. I am going to reply to everyone one at a time so if I double up on answer that is why :)

I would start with a good quality dog probiotic,cure any gut issues and make sure she will actually absorb nutrients from the food she is getting.

I would use Dr Krugers Joint and Muscle,it will help her gut,her joints and also has a whole bunch of anti inflammatory herbs in it as well. You can order off this site and get it sent from NZ to Aust.

http://www.lapdog.co.nz/proddetail.php?prod=DKJM3&PHPSESSID=d105616091e8bcb146da646f4f3aba55

Also your diet IMO is not balanced at all.

Raw in itself is not a high fat diet,but you certainly can overdo fat by feeding say fatty lamb offcuts. I would'nt add pasta etc,carbs like that promote inflammation.

I would try something like K9 Natural ,you can buy this in Australia freeze dried,though it is'nt cheap, and you rehydrate with water. To this I would add a chicken frame as a bone to chew with excess fat removed and see what haopens in 2-4 weeks. You should see a HUGE difference by then. Also her skin should clear up markedly.

I will take a stab and guess her optimum weight is about 20-23 kgs? So I would feed 150g of freeze dried K9 a day rehydrated with 450mls of warm,not hot water. You can mix the gut supplement in this just before you give it to her. That amount is for a 30kg dog but you are trying to get weight on,so that is why I suggest a higher amount.

If she was my dog here in my house that is what I would do ,though to cover myself from attacks from everyone,all the above is my opinion. But I also feel strongly it would work.

You need to treat her from the inside out,get her on the right eating regime for a start. Feeding K9 natural they have done the work for you. The amount you spend on it you will save on all the other treatmenets you are trying. Believe me I was there with my first dog 15 years ago and you won't win till you get the food right and her immune system boosted!

Just firstly nah Keira's ideal weight would be around 32 - 35 kilos. Last time I weighed her she was around 28 and she has definitely lost weight since then. She was around 31 kilos in Nov but then had the pancreatitis went down to around high 28s and didn't put any back on since.

I don't tend to feed fatty lamb or anything along those lines (sausages etc) and pasta isn't a huge part of the diet just when I make some for myself I give them what is left over. Rice or rolled oats are a bigger part.

Just looked up that K9 Natural and your right that is really expensive eeeek :eek: Will look into it though. Thanks for the tip on Dr Kruegers I will look into getting that also.

One Vet I was with when I first asked for (and insisted on) bloods to be drawn so I could check thyroid (via Dr Jean Dodds) was, like yours, convinced there was no thyroid issue, either. I asked the Vet to humour me. Took the bloods and it did eventuate that my boy was hypothyroidic.

I agree with PF - and if she hadn't said it, I would have. And I think you're right about sending to Dr Jean Dodds USA for testing. It's a bit like motor mechanics when you tell them your car is running a bit rough. The first thing they often look at are the spark plugs. It's easy to do, doesn't cost a lot to fix and given that the car won't run well unless they are in good condition, it's a pretty logical first place to look at. The spark plugs for cars is as thyroid is for people and animals.

I also have questions in my mind such as what your dog is like on different foods? ETA: I agree with Tomas - it does look like something that's coming more from within than from without.

ETA: Are those hives itchy for your dog? Are they erupting, or do they go down? What does your dog's coat feel like? (ETA : I feel a "Calendula moment" coming on.)

ETA: Sorry - re-read you post. Obviously you will need to get the fleas under control, but you could try stopping with the shampoos and simply using Calendula Tea washes on her. 2-3 times a day for the first one or two days. Then, if it is improving, back it down accordingly. You should see signs of improvement inside the first 24-48 hours (that is my general experience of it) so it is not as though you'll spend weeks before you know if it is doing anything or not.

Her coat is very course to the touch, thinning sometimes a couple of patches will come up very very red and itchy and she will scratch incessently. Now that you mention hives she has had a couple of spots come up (one on her neck/back of head and a couple on the inside of her thighs) which were hard to the touch and then got weepy and the hair comes out, they tend to clear up though and I generally put some Savlon or Betadine on them to help.

I am desperately trying to get rid of the fleas it is just so darn hard at the moment. I feel another big house clean coming on this weekend. Mind you I only see the odd flea here and there they are not covered in them. I am thinking they may be living in the dirt as well. Does anyone know how to get rid of fleas from outside? I head mentioned of spreading limestone?

I will try the Calendula Tea thanks :)

And I will be getting the thyroid testing done, if anything just to rule it out.

Comfortis flea chews are made by the same company that makes Capstar (I think) but it provides month long protection instead of just the day or so that capstar provides.

Ahhh cheers I will pick some up :)

You are right, your dog is really underweight. I think the flea problem is also pressing, but fleas prefer animals with a low immune system, so I personally would first try to get a number of other health issues in order and then look at the flea problem. I am afraid you might have caused some allergic reactions with flea bombing the house. No offence, you tried to get rid of them and after all that rain they are everywhere!

If she was my dog, I would get her to a vet and send some blood plasma to Dr Jean Dodds. The standard T3, T4, Free T3 and Free T4 tests which are done here in Australia do not necessarily show you the results you need. Both my dogs were fine with these values, but after sending samples to Jean, we learned that one of my dogs was hypothyroid and the other one suffers from autoimmune thyroiditis. Please let me know, if you need a vet who is willing to prepare the blood samples, mine does and I had to go through 4 vets to find one!

A full blood count would also be worthwhile to check, if there is any infection or other health issue going on. I would also take an urine sample to the vet to have it checked in the lab.

Is there any chance that Keira has worms?

Are you using products for flea and tick control such as Frontline Plus or Advantix? Many allergies are being caused by those products.

The way her feet are pointing could indicate some mis-alignment in her spine, but could well also be caused by her hips. A good animal chiropractor could be beneficial.

Does she suffer from digestive problems (diarrhea, constipation, vomiting, noisy abdomen, etc.)?

Suffering from pancreatitis really makes it difficult to use fats as a pancreatitic dog should be on a low fat, low carbohydrate diet.

Therefore rice, pasta, oats, etc. should be cut out of her diet. Those carbs can also cause inflammation. I would not use milk products either. Please boil the egg as raw eggs deplete the liver of Vit B.

Please check with your vet, if she can have good oils such as Omega 3 fatty acids. I also have the impression she is lacking a few basic vitamins such as Vit C and E. Other good supplements would probably be probiotics and digestive enzymes. Again, check with the vet.

In pancreatitis Selenium is often used as an antioxidant and there are also some homeopathic remedies and Australian Bush Flower Essences which could be given.

Once you have a diagnose, acupressure could be very helpful too.

Please keep us updated!

Dagmar

Hi Dagmar

Her reaction hasn't seemed to get worse after the flea bombing (just not better), I made sure to vacuum before the dogs were allowed in the house as well and I aired it out.

Will definitely be getting the testing done for thyroid issues if even just to rule it out. Can you PM me your vets please? Just in case I do need it :)

And yeah will just get regular bloods done to see if there is anything that shows up there.

Both dogs were wormed in the last 4 weeks so she shouldn't have worms.

Nope don't use spot ons. I try to control in other ways and up until we moved house they were both flea free.

Her feet point out due to the HD, she has been standing like this since she was a very young dog and walks with what is best describe as a swagger (her butt wiggles, think how a woman swing her butt). She has been seeing Dr Jenny and Dr Rowan at Animal Options and has been 4 or 5 times for chiro and acupuncture work. I will continue to see them on a semi regular basis.

Her poos seem pretty consistent, not to runny not to hard, no constipation that I have seen, no vomiting (last time I remember her vomiting was the pancreatitis)she will let off gas occasionally but not what I would consider anything more than normal. I never hear her stomach making noises.

She has a Centrum Vitamin once a day (as recommended by our Chiro vet) and has been for around 4 weeks now. I forgot to mention they get a can of tuna at least once a week.

TO be honest it is hard to say what caused the pancreatitis nothing had changed in her diet that week, we didn't have a bbq and give her leftovers nothing along those lines it was the exact same as every week the only change was the antibiotics which is why I am trying to avoid them and she went straight back onto the same diet (with the vets approval) and hasn't had a drama since and is still on the same diet.

I think it is worthwhile to note she doesn't seem to be lethargic or anything along those lines. She still plays with my younger dog, is very alert and active.

Ok I think that is everything :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

K&P - If it were me, I'd cease all chemical applications where absolutely possible.

There's something in your previous post I'm not sure about. Are you saying you're not seeing that many fleas but that because of her skin irritations you are assuming there are many fleas around?

HERE's a link for info and forms regarding taking bloods and sending them to Dr Dodds. (Not sure if you have these.) You'll need to print the instruction form for the Vet as well. You should do the Profile 5 Plus (formerly 7200) test for this first one.

HERE's a link to Dr Dodd's on-line application.

Edited by Erny

K&P - If it were me, I'd cease all chemical applications where absolutely possible.

There's something in your previous post I'm not sure about. Are you saying you're not seeing that many fleas but that because of her skin irritations you are assuming there are many fleas around?

HERE's a link for info and forms regarding taking bloods and sending them to Dr Dodds. (Not sure if you have these.) You'll need to print the instruction form for the Vet as well. You should do the Profile 5 Plus (formerly 7200) test for this first one.

HERE's a link to Dr Dodd's on-line application.

I don't really put anything chemical on them... the only thing I use that might be counted chemical is the Malesab shampoo i use??

No sorry, I don't see many fleas since I did the big clean a couple weeks ago (prior to that there were quite a few) but I have been advised by vets that only takes one bite to cause inflammation. I am assuming because I can't get rid of them they must be around (living in the dirt etc).

Sorry does that make sense now?

Thanks for the links.

No sorry, I don't see many fleas since I did the big clean a couple weeks ago (prior to that there were quite a few) but I have been advised by vets that only takes one bite to cause inflammation. I am assuming because I can't get rid of them they must be around (living in the dirt etc).

Thanks. Yes. You (and your Vet) are working on the assumption that fleas continue to cause the skin irritation. This might not necessarily be the case. Use the Calendula Tea - it won't cure, but it does have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities. This can assist in soothing the skin and settling down potential secondary skin infection. Unlike most if not all shampoo, the Calendula Tea doesn't upset the dog's skin's natural pH balance. The fleas might have started the skin irritation but just scratching can keep the cycle going.

Edited by Erny

Thanks. Yes. You (and your Vet) are working on the assumption that fleas continue to cause the skin irritation. This might not necessarily be the case. Use the Calendula Tea - it won't cure, but it does have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities. This can assist in soothing the skin and settling down potential secondary skin infection. Unlike most if not all shampoo, the Calendula Tea doesn't upset the dog's skin's natural pH balance. The fleas might have started the skin irritation but just scratching can keep the cycle going.

Ahh ok yep I see what you are saying. Do you get that from Health food stores? or Chemists?

Just for comparison I have found some pics of Keira earlier on the one on the agility equip is before pancreatitis last year the one in the water is from Jan/Feb, the one on the grass is from March/April. They are not the best angles but you can see she definitely looks a better weight.

IMG_0574.jpg

424.jpg

keirafordol.jpg

Ahh ok yep I see what you are saying. Do you get that from Health food stores? or Chemists?

Health Food Stores. It'll set you back approximately $8 for a 50g packet. To brew, put a couple of tablespoons full into a coffee plunger. Pour over boiling water. Allow it to steep until tepid or cooled to room temperature. Plunge the plunger and you're good to go. I tend to saturate a flannel with the tea and give my boy a good wetting with it.

In your instance, you might want to make the first application a real thorough one. For this, I tend to use a good fist full of the Calendula Tea and put it in the toe of a cut-off stocking. Tie off the open end and let it bob around in a bath-tub of very hot water - about 2 inches deep. When the water is cooled to tepid, pop dog in (rubber mats for grip and to protect bath) and use the Calendula stocking as you might a sponge. The bath helps to get into all the nooks and crannies (eg toes) where you might not if you were only doing a 'body hand-wash'.

You can use a towel to dap excess off (I tend to especially do this between toes so they dry more quickly than otherwise) but don't rub it all off. Allow the Calendula to air-dry on.

Health Food Stores. It'll set you back approximately $8 for a 50g packet. To brew, put a couple of tablespoons full into a coffee plunger. Pour over boiling water. Allow it to steep until tepid or cooled to room temperature. Plunge the plunger and you're good to go. I tend to saturate a flannel with the tea and give my boy a good wetting with it.

In your instance, you might want to make the first application a real thorough one. For this, I tend to use a good fist full of the Calendula Tea and put it in the toe of a cut-off stocking. Tie off the open end and let it bob around in a bath-tub of very hot water - about 2 inches deep. When the water is cooled to tepid, pop dog in (rubber mats for grip and to protect bath) and use the Calendula stocking as you might a sponge. The bath helps to get into all the nooks and crannies (eg toes) where you might not if you were only doing a 'body hand-wash'.

You can use a towel to dap excess off (I tend to especially do this between toes so they dry more quickly than otherwise) but don't rub it all off. Allow the Calendula to air-dry on.

Ok great. Thank you so much for the instructions. I will get it and do that as soon as possible!

I just grabbed the number of a Vet who comes highly recommended by a lot of doggie people I know she only works 4 hrs a week in a vet clinic at Manly but is booked out 6 months in advanced but she also runs from home it just means a trip to Melany (Sunny Coast about 1 - 2 hrs from me) but everyone who has seen her raves about her, so I am going to see her as soon as possible as well.

I will still go and get bloods done to send to the US as well.