Adding A New Puppy To Our Family

Jsclay

Hello,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am currently looking at add a new puppy to our small family. I would prefer a small dog as that is what I have always known (although open to suggestions) and also a dog that does not shed too much or not at all.

I have a one and a half year old daughter who is very good with my mothers chihuahua and maltese so I believe although she would always have to be supervised, she will be fine with a dog.

Our new puppy would not spend much time along as I am a stay at home mum. However if I needed to go out for a day the puppy would be dropped at my mothers house. This also means that the puppy would have to be dog friendly as she has the two dogs previously mentioned. I hope some of you have advice for me as I really would like to make a good decision.

Oh also our new puppy would have short daily walks as well as a yard to play in.

Thanks

Hello,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am currently looking at add a new puppy to our small family. I would prefer a small dog as that is what I have always known (although open to suggestions) and also a dog that does not shed too much or not at all.

I have a one and a half year old daughter who is very good with my mothers chihuahua and maltese so I believe although she would always have to be supervised, she will be fine with a dog.

Our new puppy would not spend much time along as I am a stay at home mum. However if I needed to go out for a day the puppy would be dropped at my mothers house. This also means that the puppy would have to be dog friendly as she has the two dogs previously mentioned. I hope some of you have advice for me as I really would like to make a good decision.

Oh also our new puppy would have short daily walks as well as a yard to play in.

Thanks

Miniature schnauzers fall into this catergory. They as a rule love children, do not shed and are sociable with other dogs.

Are you prepared to have the dog professionally groomed? Any non-shedding dog will require regular clipping.

How much exercise and training are you prepared to give the dog?

Personally I'd suggest you shy away from the tiny toy breeds and go for something a little bigger that will be more robust. That doesn't mean big - a dog like a Miniature Poodle is only 6-8kg fully grown but won't be as fragile as a smaller toy like a Chi.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels would also be on my "look at" list although they would shed more than you'd consider ideal.

Edited by poodlefan

Are you prepared to have the dog professionally groomed? Any non-shedding dog will require regular clipping.

Personally I'd suggest you shy away from the tiny toy breeds and go for something a little bigger that will be more robust. That doesn't mean big - a dog like a Miniature Poodle is only 6-8kg fully grown but won't be as fragile as a smaller toy like a Chi.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels would also be on my "look at" list although they would shed more than you'd consider ideal.

Hi I would give them daily exercise for approximately half an hour. I would want a dog that by nature is some what obedient, however in saying this I have always taught my dogs sit stay and come quite effectively. My husband had a beagle in his teens and I remember how he was a beautiful dog however would be off like a rocket given the chance. I would prefer a dog with a temperament like his beagle as it was very sweet however is more trustworthy off lead ect.

Thanks for all your help :)

Hi I would give them daily exercise for approximately half an hour. I would want a dog that by nature is some what obedient, however in saying this I have always taught my dogs sit stay and come quite effectively. My husband had a beagle in his teens and I remember how he was a beautiful dog however would be off like a rocket given the chance. I would prefer a dog with a temperament like his beagle as it was very sweet however is more trustworthy off lead ect.

Thanks for all your help :)

Oh also grooming is not a problem, probably 3-4 times a week and professionally every 4 months.

Hello,

Thanks

Miniature schnauzers fall into this catergory. They as a rule love children, do not shed and are sociable with other dogs.

Hi,

I hadn't even thought of a schnauzer, I also didn't know they didn't shed. I'll have a look into them.

Thanks

Oh also grooming is not a problem, probably 3-4 times a week and professionally every 4 months.

If you were prepared to look at professional grooming every two months, I think a Miniature Poodle would tick all the boxes. A bit more exercise and some games would be ideal though but they thrive on the company of their family. :)

Outside the box, but would you consider a Whippet? They are a taller dog but not heavily built and make wonderful family dogs. They like a good run off lead a few times a week but most of their time would be spent on your couch! Shedding and grooming is minimal.

If grooming is not an issue what about a Bichon Frise? A friend's sister has just bought one and he has blended beautifully with my friends 2 small rescues (one of which is not that friendly to other dogs) and her aunts older rescue. They don't have to be totally boofy, depends on grooming and I would think the exercise requirements would suit.

Outside the box, but would you consider a Whippet? They are a taller dog but not heavily built and make wonderful family dogs. They like a good run off lead a few times a week but most of their time would be spent on your couch! Shedding and grooming is minimal.

They're a sighthound yeah? So not really reliable off lead?

They're a sighthound yeah? So not really reliable off lead?

With training, pretty reliable. I'd rate one as having a better chance of recall than some other breeds. The big issues with any sighthound are their speed and their prey drive. They can cover 50m before you can yell their name. Not a dog to let off lead near roads but what dog is?

I walk my Whippet offlead several times a week - just not near roads.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for all the advice. It's really overwhelming when there is so much information and I really want to make a good decision, as it is such a big one!

My friend had a bichion and he was a lovely dog, definitely a possibility. They look very sweet :)

One of my sisters has an Italian greyhound Benny was a rescue dog and is very good with her 4yr old and 9mths old she had benny before she had her kids and he has adjusted well he cuddles with them and my nephew even pushing him around in a pram lol. and best of all he doesn't need brushing lol if you don't have the time with having a young child.

There house backs onto a park/oval and he is very good off a lead but she did spend the time with him to train him and is great with all of my families dogs whcih inculde a GSD 2 collies 2 maltese a silky and a great dane as we are all often together at my dads property,

Cardigan Corgi. Slightly bigger than the Pembroke Corgi, but with a more laid back nature. Great all-round, adaptable family dog but still compact. We had a Cardy as a family pet when we were kids. Biddy could switch readily into all the family action.

Calm little housedog with my mother, reliable & happy with children, sensible to take walking or on family outings, and even brilliant as a 'crew member' on my father's boat.