Mobic, Anyone Used It?

My dally was prescribed Mobic for his constant limping, we had an x -ray, nothing apart from the fine lines where he had previously broken 2 toes.

He is arthritic in his hips aswell, he is 10.

He literally could hardly put any weight on one foot after he had been laying down for any period of time. The mobic worked straight away, so i was really pleased.

The vet gave me enough for 10 days, so after that i bought a whole box of it, however after being on it for 2 weeks he has had runny diohrea for the last 2 days( woke up to it all over the dining room this morning! :eek: ).

I know the side effects could be an upset tum, but thought it would have shown earlier, now i am wondering if i will have to stop using it, or wether it will settle down.

Going to see how he is tonight( although his smelly farts so far tonight don't fill me with much hope!), have got newspaper ready.

Has anyone else used it?

:( I'd stop it immediately . Even if it is not the medication causing the diarrhoea ... and your dog has a bug.. the meds will possibly delay healing of the gut ..... If you have some good yoghurt - perhaps some of that will help with his tummy? Poor boy.

I have used it for myself with no side effects, however if the dog has started to have problems I would discontinue & see vet tomorrow

Ditto but with side effects - it was excellent for reducing pain but the longer I took it the more pronounced the side effects were for me.

X 2 for the vet

Thanks, will call the vet, sometimes he does have an upset tum if he has eaten some leftovers food where we walk, people leave all sortS by the lake, rice and meat, so i thought he must have eaten something i hadn't seen. :(

I used it on my previous dog, she had bad HD ED and Arthritis. She didnt get side effects though, sorry i am not any help. However i would discontinue using it. Could be a stomach bug but definitely speak to or see your vet about it just in case its a stomach bug and not actually the medication.

Always give this drug on a full stomach, and try dropping the dose back to once every two or three days, or wait till your dog shows signs of being sore again. I was prescribed this drug once and found it to be an excellent anti inflammatory, the pain relief lasted two to three days before I needed to take it again.He may not need the full dose either to get relief. But certainly keep an eye on the side effects.

Edited by KaseyC

He only gets half a tablet with his dinner, he is still dropping his shoulder slightly, and still sways at the back,but no where near as bad as he was without it.

I could try every other day.

He was fine last night, no poop this morning, but will see what his poo is like when we go out before calling the vet.

I have also changed their dog food 2/3 weeks ago, and have noticed the other 2 dogs poop is not as solid as before anyway, so wondering if that is a factor too.

They all go to kennels friday for a month , so will talk to the lady who is great, she also uses my vet and tell her to stop using it if he continues to get upset tum, although she uses a different dogfood to me( advance), so will see if that helps.

Mobic is the human grade tablet form of the same compound that is Metacam liquid. Maybe your dog will find the Metacam liquid more palatable.

I had one of my chihuahuas on Metacam but ran out while I was visiting my Dad who is a GP. He got into his MIMMS drug book and found it was the same as Mobic so I got some of that. Hard to cut a tablet that small for a chi though, OK for a bigger dog.

Whatever you decide, take it with food.