Just Found An Old Photo Of Our Gsd

Andisa

I don't mean this in a nasty way - its a beautiful old photo of what was obviously a very loved dog - but what’s to say that her 'back' is correct? I don't think one photo tells much of a story, she is pacing in the photo which means she is carrying her back differently to how she would if she was gaiting. It looks like a nice strong back but it would be interesting to have seen a stacked photo - plus we need to remember she was a pet dog and not necessarily a competitive show dog

Thanks for sharing the pic

I think she is gorgeous! I remember growing up and GSD's looking like her. I was never really a fan of the breed but they are my fiancee's dream dog and whilst I say no now I will get him one, one day but he being a cat person even looks at a lot of the Shepherds these days and wants to know whats wrong with their backs!

There are some amazing looking shepherds out there today but I personal feel the slope in their back is too extreme! That is my very untrained eye but my personal likes / dislikes.

Beautiful girl Andisa!

I don't mean this in a nasty way - its a beautiful old photo of what was obviously a very loved dog - but what’s to say that her 'back' is correct? I don't think one photo tells much of a story, she is pacing in the photo which means she is carrying her back differently to how she would if she was gaiting. It looks like a nice strong back but it would be interesting to have seen a stacked photo - plus we need to remember she was a pet dog and not necessarily a competitive show dog

Ish - not nasty at all. It is only one pic and not a great quality pic at that - but what you see is what she was. She was like that - so I would "assume" she was correct for that time. That bitch was never sick her whole life, never had any health issues and she could run all day, I don't even remember her ever being lame. She was very healthy.

Yes this was a very long time ago and from memory this bitch was to be shown, the only reason we got her was the breeders daughter had a baby and the breeder didn't think she would have the time to devote to her which was why she was 12 weeks old when we got her. They really wanted to keep her, I think they kept a sister. I remember my parents telling us to leave her ears alone and how lucky we were to get her, she had papers but no doubt they were thrown out a long time ago. Someone may know who bred GSD in Colac around 30+ yrs ago, but I have no idea on names.

I grew up with this style of GSD and until I moved to the City 15 yrs ago I thought that was the only style they came in - I got quite a shock to see the changes and must admit I still don't like the modern look.

My OH had a GSD x Collie Rough when we met and she was a stunning bitch, she was not as straight backed as Sadie but only slight bend in her back. If I could have found another GSD like Sadie I would have got one.

Just want to say thank you to all the lovely comments about Sadie, I must admit I was worried about posting it - knowing how touchy the subject of GSD's can get. Thanks for keeping this thread nice :D

Next time I am at my parents I will try to get more photos, I know they had lots. There are no stacked photos but hopefully I will find some showing different movements.

ETA: Ish, can you post some pics of dogs in similar movement, it would be easier than me finding very old photos that are at my parents place. Might give an idea on shape. Any one else got photos to add?

Edited by Andisa

To me she looks like a GSD should look like & did while growing up watching Rin Tin Tin every afternoon after school in the early 60's. In fact she reminds me of one of the dogs they used in the show.

I have no real knowledge of the breed & my opinion of why they changed the look of the dog was from my earliest recollections of going to dog shows & photos is that they were stacked in that position with their legs pulled out the back. It's a real shame that they look like that now all the time, not to mention their wobbly gait.

My son wanted to get a GSD pup in 1993 & even then when looking at litters I don't remember them with sloping backs.

Someone mentioned the changes in the pug's nose or lack there of. The same thing has been done to the persian cat. I had a pedigree persian when my boys were young & he had a regular nose. The persian cat of today hardly has a nose & always looks angry.

Ish, I have never seen in the breed standards that the GSD shall be a competitive show dog. It does say they shall be a companion animal to a protection dog and anything in between, can these competitive show dog's achieve this, if not, what are they exactly?

Just want to say thank you to all the lovely comments about Sadie, I must admit I was worried about posting it - knowing how touchy the subject of GSD's can get. Thanks for keeping this thread nice :D

I think the topic and the whole idea of someone who is not a show breeder presenting what they like to see in a breed is prefectly acceptable and in fact could help save some breeds!! I just hope that some breeders are able to take on board the idea that the people who live with their 'pet home placed product' also have to like it and want it.

Most dogs bred in the kennel clubs are sold to pet homes, yet the public, pet homes have no input into what they would like to find in a dog breed other than 'shopping with their feet', think designer dogs as an exmaple of shopping with their feet.

Yet, almost any person looking at how some dogs in some breeds are built and move can see big problems. They should not feel inhibted or afraid to say what they would like to see, espcially when what they are trying to avoid are things which they feel may well limit the dogs ability to live a normal happy life.

A GSD with a roached back and a rear end movement that looks like that of a dog with a spinal injury, rear legs wobbling around at the hips, stifles and hocks (and weak front pasterns too) and dragging their knuckles on the ground is not a pretty to most people. It is very much Ok to say that you like a more moderate and normal looking dog instead. Me too!

http://youtu.be/-_z3fgk9bQw

Edited by shortstep

Thanks shortsteps :) I have seen that clip and it is hard to watch. ... I decided to delete what I had typed because it would have taken this thread in the same direction as the others.

I thought these clips were informative.

Ish - thanks for the pics - very different from the older style.

Edited by Andisa

Thanks shortsteps :) I have seen that clip and it is hard to watch. ... I decided to delete what I had typed because it would have taken this thread in the same direction as the others.

Well some people are well invested, often a life time has been put into breeds of dogs that are now under attack, and they will try to prove their point.

It is not me that has to be convinced is it. Those who need to be convinced are well educated on the subject and have already made up their minds. That part is well past really, now we have moved on to what is going to happen next and will any of the breeders react in a way that might stop even more attacks.

Moderation and lack of extremes is what counts and no one who will be making these judegments cares what the standards say, even if it says the top line should drop away until the dogs croup is level with it's elbow. They will just say rewirte it to get rid of the extreme.

It is has already happened. They have said change it and they were changed and now they are saying well we don't see a change so it might take more to get this change to happen. Like the recent very real calls to ban a few breeds or the popular notion of having government control over breeding choices.

I just hope all breeders that do not breed for extremes, start to stand up and protect their own breeds or their own dogs within some breeds that have been taken to extremes.

As someone implied recently on DOL, it really now has to become every man and dog for himself. Least we all get taken down while Nero just fiddles away.

Edited by shortstep