Lab At 10months Was Desexed 5 Days Ago And Now Has Bad Cough

chellz

Considering that dogs can be infectious a few days before and for up to 2 weeks after a bout of KC, I don't think your vet would really have known whether he had had a dog in that could have passed it on... then again, no vet wants to admit that a customer's dog caught KC while at their clinic... *grin*

It happens more often than one would care to think about unfortunately...

Don't worry that the vet was a bit miffed at you asking if your baby could have caught KC at his clinic - odds are that she did and he'll never admit it... *sigh*

T.

Considering that dogs can be infectious a few days before and for up to 2 weeks after a bout of KC, I don't think your vet would really have known whether he had had a dog in that could have passed it on... then again, no vet wants to admit that a customer's dog caught KC while at their clinic... *grin*

It happens more often than one would care to think about unfortunately...

Don't worry that the vet was a bit miffed at you asking if your baby could have caught KC at his clinic - odds are that she did and he'll never admit it... *sigh*

T.

Odds are just as good that Chellz's dog was incubating KC BEFORE the clinic visit.

Edited by poodlefan

There's apparently a big outbreak of Kennel Cough in the western suburbs of Melbourne at the moment. A local doggy daycare put a notification up on facebook, and my husbands work mate has racing greyhounds, and apparently it's running rife through them :( I think my dog currently has a very mild case of it here.

Talk to you vet.

That said, my dog developed a cough about 3 days after being desexed. He had a slight wheeze and would cough if he got excited or exerted himself too much)

My vet said it would have been irritation caused by the tube they put down his throat and to just keep and eye on him. Within a couple of days it went away.

Yeh I agree he would never agree to it but out of respect and honesty I thought he would even acknowledge that it could be a possibility just as much the possibility that ella may of picked it up just before she had been desexed.. Whichever way it may of been ellas immune system would of been down so she probally would of picked it up easily either way..

But now Im thinking of it it was kind of an insult what he said "ohh no none of our dogs have or had kennel cough" I mean if it is as simple as close contact with another dog and the KC injection does not guarantee if the dog will get it or not than it could be highly likely.. Sorry for the rant needed to get it off my chest, feel better now hahaha probally thinking about this way too much :laugh:

But now Im thinking of it it was kind of an insult what he said "ohh no none of our dogs have or had kennel cough" I mean if it is as simple as close contact with another dog and the KC injection does not guarantee if the dog will get it or not than it could be highly likely.. Sorry for the rant needed to get it off my chest, feel better now hahaha probally thinking about this way too much :laugh:

Perhaps he viewed you suggesting that his practice's sterility procedures were lacking as an insult. :shrug:

Perhaps he viewed you suggesting that his practice's sterility procedures were lacking as an insult. :shrug:

Thats true maybe he did take it the wrong way.. but I thought most people still would have had an open mind and took into account other possibilities other than being close minded..

Again thanx everyone for your input :D

Edited by chellz

no clinic will ever admit that it's probably there your animal picked up an infectious disease - it's not about an open mind it's about reputation. When the average dog owner hears from one owner their dog *probably* picked it up there, it can ruin their reputation in the local community quite quickly and their income. One of your neighbours dogs could have it and thats where she got it from, more likely then the vet clinic. Unless you have direct proof she got it from there I dont know what you are trying to achieve by insisting it is.

And I agree with PF, in all probabilty your dog could have been incubating it and the anaesthetic/desexing helped it along.

no clinic will ever admit that it's probably there your animal picked up an infectious disease - it's not about an open mind it's about reputation. When the average dog owner hears from one owner their dog *probably* picked it up there, it can ruin their reputation in the local community quite quickly and their income. One of your neighbours dogs could have it and thats where she got it from, more likely then the vet clinic. Unless you have direct proof she got it from there I dont know what you are trying to achieve by insisting it is.

And I agree with PF, in all probabilty your dog could have been incubating it and the anaesthetic/desexing helped it along.

I am not insisting on this at all, just pondering... and none of our neighbours have dogs so its not like she could have caught it by interacting through a fence.. I never said it was definitely from the clinic nor did I persist with the vet about this and want to ruien their reputation.. I was simply telling the vet so If any other dog had also picked it up they can act appropriately..

Not many vets would like to think that a dog could pick up anything infectious from their premises... but unless they sterilise the waiting area after every other dog has been there, then there is always going to be a small possibility that it can happen. It is not an indictment on their practices - although some vets will be a lot less likely to admit it than others.

IF Ella has KC, and she hasn't had any contact with other dogs in the 2 weeks leading up to her surgery, then the chances are that she picked it up at the vet's... but it's not necessarily the fault of the clinic's sterility procedures - it's just the nature of the beast...

I wouldn't worry too much about it - or the vet's reaction to your asking - as long as Ella is otherwise happy and healthy, this will pass just like when a child catches a bad cold, OK?

T.

I am not insisting on this at all, just pondering... and none of our neighbours have dogs so its not like she could have caught it by interacting through a fence..

So your dog never left the yard in the week leading up to her surgery?

we had kc round here a while ago, the vet had had dogs come in with it that were on property and had had no contact with anything , she said the disease can be airbourne and travel quite far .

I am not insisting on this at all, just pondering... and none of our neighbours have dogs so its not like she could have caught it by interacting through a fence..

So your dog never left the yard in the week leading up to her surgery?

You are not listening to me, in my 1st post I said this:

"I thought id ask if anyone knows what it could be? She has been immunized up to date so hopefully that rules out most things she might of picked up at the vet.. she hasent been out since her op so i am really stumped and concerned"...

Then I said after a previous post stating that I was annoyed that the vet didnt take it at all into consideration:

"I thought he would even acknowledge that it could be a possibility just as much the possibility that ella may of picked it up just before she had been desexed"..

Then you said he might of took it the wrong way so I replied:

"Thats true maybe he did take it the wrong way.. but I thought most people still would have had an open mind and took into account other possibilities other than being close minded"..

Then to close all arguements and miscommunication I replied

"I never said it was definitely from the clinic nor did I persist with the vet about this and want to ruien their reputation.. I was simply telling the vet so If any other dog had also picked it up they can act appropriately"..

Edited by chellz

we had kc round here a while ago, the vet had had dogs come in with it that were on property and had had no contact with anything , she said the disease can be airbourne and travel quite far .

awww its not good is it, I hated seeing ella sick, you feel so helpless.. they cant tell you whats wrong!! :cry:

awww its not good is it, I hated seeing ella sick, you feel so helpless.. they cant tell you whats wrong!! :cry:

Our old labby Jake had KC which seemed to go on for ever. He sounded like he was choking sometimes. It was awful & as you said you feel so helpless. Our vet told us at the time, there are lot's of strains & can be difficult to treat. But he was 14 I think when he contracted it so would of been harder because of his age to fight it I'm guessing. :(

What a gorgeous photo of your Ella in your signature. Love that name !! :thumbsup:

Our old labby Jake had KC which seemed to go on for ever. He sounded like he was choking sometimes. It was awful & as you said you feel so helpless. Our vet told us at the time, there are lot's of strains & can be difficult to treat. But he was 14 I think when he contracted it so would of been harder because of his age to fight it I'm guessing. :(

What a gorgeous photo of your Ella in your signature. Love that name !! :thumbsup:

Ohh no poor thing...Im going to worry like crazy when Ella gets older(just like I do with my kids) lol

I love the name Jake.. It would definitely suit a lab.. Id love to see a pic :)

Ohh no poor thing...Im going to worry like crazy when Ella gets older(just like I do with my kids) lol

I love the name Jake.. It would definitely suit a lab.. Id love to see a pic :)

Sorry hope I didn't make you worry more :( I used to blame myself for poor Jakeys kc as I used to have him vaccinated with C4 instead of C5 as he never went to a kennel.

Stoopid me didn't realise that it was able to be picked up anywhere :( until our vet explained Our new 2 Lab boys both get C5 now :)

I would love to show you a pic of our beautiful boy so will get one from my external hard drive & upload tomorrow sometime

Ella looks similar colour to our Jangels..... Beautiful :)

Sorry for the delay chellz Finally worked out how to resize to uplaod :)

Here are my boys past :( & present :)

First photo is Jangels (J for Jake & angel = Jangels ) the cream one 17 months with Louis our new baby 15 weeks

Second photo is Jake just after he had a clip He would be 13 in this photo.

Beautiful boys :D

post-29075-0-90361700-1308449136_thumb.jpg

post-29075-0-78613600-1308449189_thumb.jpg