Swollen Abdomen On Puppy - In Hospital Overnight

I had been out for 4hrs and got home to find my 5mth old with a stomach the size of a beach-ball. She was fine earlier, and still bright and happy (excited) when I returned, but I rang the vet in a panic thinking "bloat".

Needless to say I rushed her down there, and the vet was surprised at her belly. It looked as if she was ready to give birth to a large litter! Her belly was hard, and her pulse was 180, so he admitted her for X-rays and investigations.

He called me a few hours later and said her stomach was full of gases, and he wants to keep her overnight with a drip to get the swelling down. Fingers crossed by morning she should be back to normal size. Benson knows something is going on and has been looking for her. It's her first night alone, so I hope she isn't fretting.

This is what greeted me when I came home...

June2011060.jpg

Jadesmara - hopefully she is ok and not running up too huge of a bill at the vets for you! :)

Are the welts/hives? connected to the swollen abdomen or does she have allergies? The poor bub, hopes she back home soon to keep Benson company :thumbsup:

Hey Jadesamara- how is your puppy?

All back to normal, thanks. She was released the following day and back to her silly self. Vet has no explanation for the belly full of fluid (and gas).

The hives appeared at the same time, and have not returned. She doesn't suffer from allergies, and thankfully Benson's have all cleared up too, now that he's on better food.

I'm glad we have the little miss insured, that's for sure!