Follow Up From My Last Post : "needing Help And Guidance."

Guest HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

Hi all,

A few of you might remember I posted this topic a week or so ago:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/221840-i-need-help-and-guidance/

At the time my OH and I were going through turmoil wondering what to do about our poodle puppy Harper and we ended up deciding to give him up to a family who had more time to spend with him.

One week on and I thought I would post an update for those who are interested, especially those who responded to my last post - your advice all meant a lot to me.

So I'm very pleased to say that we actually ended up keeping Harper :) :)

In fact, I cut down my work hours and deferred my university course till next semester so that I could concentrate on him and helping him settle into our home. I know he deserves this and I am so glad about this decision.

Our biggest problem - our fear of getting evicted due to his barking when left alone was fixed by actually giving the poor pup time to settle into the apartment and now there is no more barking when we leave. We have recorded him and he cries/yowls for a while but then gets on with more important things like eating and sleeping.

We only leave him alone for about 4 hours in the morning while we're at work, and yesterday when I got home I found him happily on the couch, watching TV :eek:

Haha.

Yes, this means we're not confining him when we go out but we figure he is happier being able to run around as he did not like his play pen at all (part of the barking problem we now realise.)

We turn off all electicals and have all cords out of the way and our furniture is all pretty crap so we're not too concerned by his chewing it. Although he doesn't seem that interested in chewing the furniture - his kongs and toys are waaaay more interesting to his little mouth :)

At night he sleeps in his crate by our bed and has only been getting us up once or twice a night to take him to his doggy toilet (which he uses all day without promoting now - such a good boy! :) )

He still whines a little when he goes back into the crate, but a finger through the door settles him quickly and then he's back into the land of doggy-dreams.

We also went to puppy school last night and we were so proud of him. He was nervous but his beautiful temperament also shone through. He is honestly a little prince and is so fun to train!

I'm so glad that this worked out and I have definitely learn the lesson that one should never give a puppy up in the first week. The first week IS hard but whoa - it DOES get better! And now, Harper is my baby. I love him so much. He gets so many kisses - something that would have made me (a previous cat lover who wasn't that crazy about dogs) gag had I seen myself do that a year ago!

He is also bestest mates with my OH - his wrestle buddy. And watching them play and cuddle together warms my heart so much. He has also - amazingly - made my friends who used to think "ewww poodles are stupid dogs" into poodle-lovers (or at least, Harper-lovers ;) ) :)

As you would know from my past post, my partner is in the army and is being deployed in 6 weeks time and I am SO glad I'm going to have my ball of fluff to cuddle up to while he is gone. And I can't wait to have him as a part of our lives for the rest of his doggy days :)

So there is my story, just had to share and thank everyone again for all their kind words and support. This forum really is such an amazing resource :) :)

:grouphug:

Edited by HarperGD

Oh thank God! I was horrified so many people were telling you to rehome Harper! I knew he'd settle down when he was ready :thumbsup: A lot of puppies go through a crying stage but it doesn't mean it will last their whole lives, so I'm so glad you get to keep your best friend :D

Yay HarperGD :thumbsup:

I'm so glad things worked out for you and Harper.

I needed a month to get my dog to settle and night so well done! I've only just started leaving my dog for more than 4 hours (and she still gets a dog walker), so you have really achieved alot in such as short time.

The first week is terribly hard for both pup and new owner!

So glad you decided to keep him Harper :)

I read the last thread, & felt really saddened when you decided to give him up,so I'm very happy to read this, & glad it has all worked out for you. :)

I agree with the poster that said that sometimes it does take a week or so for a baby puppy to settle into a new home, & also for a new owner to get into a routine (& I warn all my puppy people about this too, & remind them I'm only phone call away when they are feeling overwhelmed & need support) So I'm glad you persisted & gave him another chance. :)

I hope he brings you many years of joy, love & companionship.

I hope the other family weren't too dissapointed in your descision & they get there own puppy in the near future.

Guest HarperGD

The other family will get one of the next puppies, born to the breeder's other bitch in September.

They were definitely disappointed and I felt awful about putting them through that, but I know we made the right choice.

I'm definitely going to keep up the training and I can't wait till get can go for walks. I'm going to join a local dog club so that I can maximise his brains. He's definitely smart - caught him using his stuffed dog toy as a spring-board to get up onto the couch :eek: Cheeky!!!!

I've attached a photo of him.... on the couch.... :laugh:

post-39793-0-36809600-1308200130_thumb.jpg

That is the BEST news!! I'm so happy things are working out for you all. Puppies can be a bit of a challenge for a while, until you figure them out, then there's no looking back :thumbsup:

Actually there's usually bumps along the way.. adolescence being a big one!! :laugh:

Guest HarperGD

Haha yes I'm already looking forward to his teenage time ;)

But we'll be fine!

Actually, I have to confess, there is another reason I decided I had to keep him.........

When he's asleep he's a really good foot-warmer.... :p

post-39793-0-89534100-1308205226_thumb.jpg

post-39793-0-35956700-1308205234_thumb.jpg

I read the first post and was saddened that you were having it so tough with Harper. I am glad you chose to keep him, and glad it is working out. Yes there will be steps backwards, and yes times you ever wanted a dog, but these moments pass. Its funny but I also have these moments with my children and my cats. Good luck in the future, and good wishes and prayers for your OH's deployment.