I Washed A Chow Chow

there is an old woman in the area where my work is ... she apparently has 70 chows on her farm. Reg breeder AFAIK ...

and it is true ... more people are attacked by ferrets then grizzly bears

Edited by Nekhbet

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is an old woman in the area where my work is ... she apparently has 70 chows on her farm. Reg breeder AFAIK ...

I told you so! Evil creatures they are...

:eek: 70 chows? surely they all cant be looked after properly :(

Tha lady Nekhbet referred to does chow rescue. I have never been there myself but do know the lady quite well and she is a passionate chow devotee. I think she looks older than she really is because she's not much older than myself and I don't consider myself as 'old', well not yet anyway. :laugh: I understand there are two other famillies who help care for the dogs and members of the Chow Club also assist when required but you are right, having that many chows to care for is a huge task.

Tha lady Nekhbet referred to does chow rescue. I have never been there myself but do know the lady quite well and she is a passionate chow devotee. I think she looks older than she really is because she's not much older than myself and I don't consider myself as 'old', well not yet anyway. :laugh: I understand there are two other famillies who help care for the dogs and members of the Chow Club also assist when required but you are right, having that many chows to care for is a huge task.

Just washing one was hard enough for me :laugh: couldnt imagine 70 of them

Chows are lovely I am glad you enjoyed it. I used to groom 4 chows regularly (a couple of different clients). Lovely dogs. Friendly but standoffish. I always felt like I should bow to them to show proper respect :laugh: .

But of course you should espinay2, the whole approach to a chow is different to other dogs and if done correctly a well socialized chow is a joy to deal with. So glad you have had good experiences with the breed, its always a worry when others comment on nasty or ill tempered chows. :eek:

TBH and not meaning to be rude, I would say it's more that a lot of people don't know how to handle Chows and so the dogs their heels in. I've never had a problem with them provided I make it very clear what I want from them and treat them respectfully. I was told from a breeder (but don't know how much truth is in it) that Chows have limited vision peripheral vision so make sure you always approach them from the front. I have only ever come across one very difficult (and dangerous) Chow. There's plenty of other breeds, much more popular, that I would rate more difficult. I won't dare mention them though :laugh:

have only ever come across one very difficult (and dangerous) Chow. There's plenty of other breeds, much more popular, that I would rate more difficult. I won't dare mention them though :laugh:

Go on, Clyde, live dangerously. But make your Will first. :)

Clyde you are quite correct as was the breeder you spoke to. Its even a hard slog at times trying to get dog show judges to know & accept that this breed does not have peripherial vision and must always be approached from the front or side where they can see you coming so it's understandable for the general public who don't know the breed to know how to approach a chow correctly.

The first thing people want to do is put their hand on the chows head and nine times out of ten the dog will back off (because he can't see the hand and needs the opportunity to assess who's touching him)which those not knowing or understanding the breed will see as a negative. Approached from the front, spoken to nicely then a hand under the chin is usually all it takes to make friends with a well socialized chow, who will always remain aloof and allow himself to be handled, sometimes alibet grudgingly. I,m sure some of them do expect you to bow to them as espinay2 says :laugh:

We can't impress on chow puppy buyers enough how very important continuous postive socialization is, and even though the chows are a beautiful breed looking alot like teddy bears, they deserve the same respect as one would a doberman, rottie or GSD and wariness of strangers is a part of the breed.