Banning Live Animal Exports, Dogs

shortstep

The live trade ban isnt going to happen any time soon, anyway. It was all just a smokescreen for Gillard to hide behind to disguise the fact she's now more unpopular than kRudd was when she knifed him in the back.

Dont worry, shortstep. I think you're pretty safe importing or exporting dogs for the time being, as long as they arent meant for the pot.

Even if they are meant f r the pot.

You can still eat them here - as long as you dont cut their tails off or debark them without the correct paper work and take em to a show first.

I know I know. Ludicrous, isnt it. And I can kill livestock here without a stun gun if I'm so inclined (disclaimer - I'm not inclined to kill livestock at all).

Sorry shortstep - I know you said you didnt want to talk about livestock but I do see your point. If the animal libbers manage to bring in a live trade ban they wont just stop at cows and sheep - it will also mean no exotic fish, birds and reptiles, no puppies and kittens, no live seafood

Edited by raz

Problem is what will they trade to have it all shut up and go away.

Word was when all of the rumble was going on about live sheep exports there was a deal cut - bring in tail docking and banding bans and we will shut up about the live sheep exports.Dont know if thats true or not but it did come from a pretty good source within the corridors of government.

Cant deny however, that tail docking and banding was made illegal and all of a sudden - the live export for sheep scandal stopped over night.

One minute it was everywhere next minute not a wimper. Very strange.

Edited by Steve

The little kiddy asylum seekers shoved off to a country where they'll get flogged.

Sorry that's bad taste but only half tongue in cheek. this Govt is in a right royal mess at the moment, isnt it. There's poop flying eveywhere

The little kiddy asylum seekers shoved off to a country where they'll get flogged.

Sorry that's bad taste but only half tongue in cheek. this Govt is in a right royal mess at the moment, isnt it. There's poop flying eveywhere

Just goes to show putting a woman in there and hoping that bought a bit of commonsense to the whole crap shoot just made all of us girls look bad. :rofl:

She still has idiots with their hand up her back pulling the strings. And thats only if I try to find an excuse for her - just because she IS a girl. :cry:

Just goes to show putting a woman in there and hoping that bought a bit of commonsense to the whole crap shoot just made all of us girls look bad. :rofl:

I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that not only is she more unpopular than kRudd, she's also more unpopular than little Johnny was when he brought in GST. Poor Julia Goolia. She's made one guarantee - we wont be having another female PM in a hurry. Bloody hell even the mad monk is starting to look good...almost but not quite.

I have no opposition to people exporting dogs for the right reasons.

But, I do take strong exemption for the so called "registered breeders" who are purely breeding for the export market and sending hundreds of puppies to the overseas/Asia pet shop trade every year - particularly to Mr. McDougal USA. I read the ACT Journal and was shocked by the figures.

I have no opposition to people exporting dogs for the right reasons.

But, I do take strong exemption for the so called "registered breeders" who are purely breeding for the export market and sending hundreds of puppies to the overseas/Asia pet shop trade every year - particularly to Mr. McDougal USA. I read the ACT Journal and was shocked by the figures.

However, while ever Mr McDougall comes up skeaky clean and the animals he purchases and ships are not being ill treated the chances of that happeneing are nil.

I have no doubt if we were given the option of being able to see how many registered puppies are sold to our own pet shops we would be shocked. Those in the know are saying we provide more puppies to pet shops in this country than cross bred breeders do.

I'm not mad at you, I don't know you, but you seem to have contradictory opinions. So you think the animal rights people are wrong about live animal exports now despite "concerns being voiced around the world by many people"? Sure banning all animals going overseas might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater but if it stops the horrendous things that happen to cattle and sheep surely it's worth it to ban dogs and cats as well?

Might be throwing the baby out with the bath water? Why on earth would we want to ban dogs going over seas because in one country they mis - treat cattle?

Have you got your sarcasm radar turned off? :laugh:

I'm not mad at you, I don't know you, but you seem to have contradictory opinions. So you think the animal rights people are wrong about live animal exports now despite "concerns being voiced around the world by many people"? Sure banning all animals going overseas might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater but if it stops the horrendous things that happen to cattle and sheep surely it's worth it to ban dogs and cats as well?

Might be throwing the baby out with the bath water? Why on earth would we want to ban dogs going over seas because in one country they mis - treat cattle?

Have you got your sarcasm radar turned off? :laugh:

Geez thank heavens for that you had me with sweat on my face !

Remember that a complete ban on exporting live animals would include a very large racehorse industry that relies very heavily on horses being shipped backwards and forwards.

Which is one of the reasons a complete ban won't go through. That's a very powerful and wealthy industry there that has helped stop 'meddling' in the entire horse world. And it's not the only strong industry under threat from a complete ban.

I mentioned this when it came up but everyone was so whipped into a frenzy they didn't take the time to think about what animals go overseas for good reasons not just cattle and sheep.

Horses - currently we have Star Witness due to race OS tonight before coming back for the spring, shuttle stallions go OS and then back (and vice versa), have heard of equestrian horses being sold for squillions overseas, racehorses are sold to overseas locations such as Hong Kong (and note HK is the one place that rehomes most after racing they either join one of the riding schools or go back to the country they came from - or another if preferred). The Olympics - the equestrian team exports their horses over to the Olympics and then back and the same for any other big event like the World Equestrain games.

And then there is cattle breeding stock that are apparently sold OS - no crime there but people dont realise about that or do they think about people who move overseas and take their animals with them (how many questions get asked about how to export and import dogs on this forum). And what about military/police dogs that go overseas - they are also technically live export of animals.

Now the activists dont care about the 'good' OS transport of animals only to get everyone reacting. Blanket banning is wrong and a reaction to make the politicians look good for the masses as has been mentioned

We would still be able to import & export frozen semen for the dogs so although it may become more of a rich persons hobby if the unlikely ban did happen all is not lost.

It would be awful for pet owners moving countries though.

It won't happen. The governments (whichever it is) can't seem to organise a piss up in a brewery really. Too hard for them.

Blanket banning is wrong and a reaction to make the politicians look good for the masses as has been mentioned

My uncle was a frontbencher. When we were little kids he took us in to Parliament house to watch a rather lively debate. When we walked out I asked him what it was all about. His answer - make enough noise and the public wont see the bigger issues. Smoke and mirrors, darling. Scream loud enough and they wont see the train wreck approaching.

I've always remembered that.

Blanket banning is wrong and a reaction to make the politicians look good for the masses as has been mentioned

My uncle was a frontbencher. When we were little kids he took us in to Parliament house to watch a rather lively debate. When we walked out I asked him what it was all about. His answer - make enough noise and the public wont see the bigger issues. Smoke and mirrors, darling. Scream loud enough and they wont see the train wreck approaching.

Bingo Raz!

I work in a major corporate, and if I behaved in any way shape or form like those bozo's in parliament I would be collared and walked out the door on behavioural grounds. It disgusts me that they waste so much time and money pissing on each other rather than getting down to running the country. Yeah, they may be in different parties, but I was pretty sure we are all part of the same community and they should be doing the best for the community, not opposing each other for the sport of it.

Btw, I have kept my head down around this whole live export debate because I can see both sides of the story and don't want to get involved in heated debate about it, also I'm not qualified to really argue either side. But I've got a question...I thought the calls for the live export ban was to ban live 'meat' export, not a blanket ban for all livestock. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not talking about what the animal libbers are talking about, but the slightly more organised groups? And if it is for the 'meat' industry, doesn't this nullify any concerns people may have for the export of dogs and animals for other reason?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Like that one.

Read and interesting article in something about why it happens and points toward why it will not stop, though that was not said. A lot of countries do not have the refrigeration ability that we do and a ship load of frozen meat landing on their doorstep is useless. They need to move the animals to end point alive.

Bingo Raz!

I work in a major corporate, and if I behaved in any way shape or form like those bozo's in parliament I would be collared and walked out the door on behavioural grounds. It disgusts me that they waste so much time and money pissing on each other rather than getting down to running the country. Yeah, they may be in different parties, but I was pretty sure we are all part of the same community and they should be doing the best for the community, not opposing each other for the sport of it.

They're playing chess, smoothie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Btw, I have kept my head down around this whole live export debate because I can see both sides of the story and don't want to get involved in heated debate about it, also I'm not qualified to really argue either side. But I've got a question...I thought the calls for the live export ban was to ban live 'meat' export, not a blanket ban for all livestock. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm not talking about what the animal libbers are talking about, but the slightly more organised groups? And if it is for the 'meat' industry, doesn't this nullify any concerns people may have for the export of dogs and animals for other reason?

This is one of the areas that was alarming me. One web site says sign the petition to support all a ban on all live animal exports. Another says send an email to your rep that you support banning all live animals for slaughter, yet another says ban all livestock. Reports on the news run the same, lots of different words being used.

One report I just read says 3 different bills are going to or have been presented, anyone have any idea where we can read these 3 bills?

Anyway I am sure everyone is right and they are not going to do it, so thanks for the reassurance, but I still would lilek to read the fine print prior to it being made law.

BTW has anyone heard any further information about the quarrantine stations, all of which had not renewed their leases, and they gave no plan for what was going to happen. If I remember right the leases begin to expired soon with them all finishing over the next couple of years?