Quirky Behaviour !

BC Crazy

Hi everyone, :)

Was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my girl's very weird behaviour which she has done since day one.

Stella is 7 months now & is just a delight to own, healthy, very alert, smart & happy little girl, she is maturing beautifully & we love her to bits.

What she does is she always carries her favourite toy around in her mouth pretty much all day ( a fluffy ball) & she also sucks on it all the time.

Till the toy is soaking wet & that still doesn't deter her. Of a night time or whenever she is tired she collects all her favourite toys

into a pile & gets her special sucking one in her mouth & lies on top of the others & sucks away like she is suckling on her mum.

This goes on for ages till she falls asleep, then she wakes, spits the toy out & nods off to sleep again.

It doesn't bother me as much as I wonder why she does it. She is in her own little world when she is doing this, like a dummy almost.

I hope she is not feeling insecure or something. :shrug: Interested in your thought's on this. Maybe other's have furry kids with similar behaviour's?

Edited by BC Crazy

Is she desexed? Sometimes bitches can have a phantom pregnancy, and some have been known to collect or "round up" their toys as substitute puppies when this happens. Don't know if it can happen as young as 7 months though.

My oldest girl now nearly 5 has a sucky toy, I don't let her have it all the time as I think it would possily damage her teeth if she did it quite often. She doesn't look to do it all the time and she mainly does it when she is tired, it seems to comfort her and she like your girl sucks until the toy is soaked. She also seems to have a huge lot of it in her mouth. She only does it with a certain couple of toys, they are really soft fluffy ones.

My girl came off her mother and was weened too early and I always wonder if that is why she does it. I have 3 others and none of them do it at all.

My 20mo BC, Kenzie, does exactly the same thing. She sucks her "monkey" every night when she goes to bed and also in the morning when she wakes up. I had to go and buy all of the monkeys at Sam's Warehouse just so I could throw them out when they became totally feral - don't know what will happen when I run out of them!!

Anyway I did find a site somewhere that discussed this. If I can find it I'll send you the link. But they talked about it potentially happening when a pup is not weaned properly. But more commonly it's actually just a soothing behaviour that they initiate because they like like it, a bit like thumb sucking. So is all this true? Who knows? But the explanation works for me!!!

It's sort of cute really!!! And I now have friends that buy Kenzie new Monkeys when they find them because she loves monkey so much!!!

This is Kenzie with Monkey!!!

post-34437-0-94194600-1308477420_thumb.jpg

My oldest girl now nearly 5 has a sucky toy, I don't let her have it all the time as I think it would possily damage her teeth if she did it quite often. She doesn't look to do it all the time and she mainly does it when she is tired, it seems to comfort her and she like your girl sucks until the toy is soaked. She also seems to have a huge lot of it in her mouth. She only does it with a certain couple of toys, they are really soft fluffy ones.

My girl came off her mother and was weened too early and I always wonder if that is why she does it. I have 3 others and none of them do it at all.

Interesting as I often wondered with behaviour like Stella's that very same thing, maybe taken off her mum too young. I have never had a pup act like this. She is my 4th BC I have owned.

Very similar traits to your girl, only certain fluffy toys, no others,does it a lot more when tired or if she gets a fright she will run & get her fluffy ball for a quick security hit. :grimace:

Very much a comfort thing with her I feel.

At first I thought she may grow out of it & although she doesn't do it quite as much as she did when she was very young, she still does it heaps.

I have thought whether I should try & stop her, hide the toy from her to break the habit. Didn't think about damage to her teeth though, will quizz my vet next time I speak to him about it I think.

What is your girls nature like? Stella is quite edgey & highly strung at times, a little trouper,she is a snuggle bunny though. Very sweet. :)

My 20mo BC, Kenzie, does exactly the same thing. She sucks her "monkey" every night when she goes to bed and also in the morning when she wakes up. I had to go and buy all of the monkeys at Sam's Warehouse just so I could throw them out when they became totally feral - don't know what will happen when I run out of them!!

Anyway I did find a site somewhere that discussed this. If I can find it I'll send you the link. But they talked about it potentially happening when a pup is not weaned properly. But more commonly it's actually just a soothing behaviour that they initiate because they like like it, a bit like thumb sucking. So is all this true? Who knows? But the explanation works for me!!!

It's sort of cute really!!! And I now have friends that buy Kenzie new Monkeys when they find them because she loves monkey so much!!!

This is Kenzie with Monkey!!!

OMG !!! That is exactly like my Miss Stella, LOL. Kenzie is sooo cute too.I am wrapped to find I am not alone with a quirky girl. I have also found an online shop that sells her fav fluffy toy cause she gets them very feral as

well. I like the thumb sucking explanation. But as you say, 'who knows'. :shrug: Thank's so much for the link regarding this & will read it with great interest. I must admit I was worried about it cause I love her too bits. :)

I Wash Lacys sucky toys when they get over sucked :laugh:

I have some pics, I'll see if I can find them tomorrow.

It's funny too, mine all love thier toys and share but they know that Lacys special toys are hers.

Edited by tlc

Hi Folks,

My young BC boy Dash used to do this when we first got him (9 weeks). His favourite sucky toy was my older BC Lucy though! She let him do it for a while, and I can't say I saw her stop him, but he stopped after a couple of months.

I put it down to a comfort thing, and the only reason I really worried about it was that he would give her bald red patches on her fur!

Christie

Lucy & Dash

So there are quite a few furry kids with this toy sucking fettish !! :laugh:

I was pretty concerned about my girl but after reading more about this problem via the link provided by Pretty miss Emma

& the other dolers with pups with similar traits to Stella I don't think I am going to worry as much. If she wants to suck

her thumb & she is content, then I am not going to stop her.

Apparently they don't grow out of it as I thought she might either & it is more common in Borders,Dobs & Springers

which I thought was interesting.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I love DOL. :D

:wave: hey BC crazy

my mums moodle does it to, he was a pet shop pup so prob was taken off his mum to early :shrug: but i do agree with others and i think its equivalent to thumbsucking, and he is 5 yrs btw so no hasnt grown out of it :laugh:

we just call it sams happy time :laugh: (thats a transformers reference for those who havent see it :rolleyes: )

Edited by dandybrush

:wave: hey BC crazy

my mums moodle does it to, he was a pet shop pup so prob was taken off his mum to early :shrug: but i do agree with others and i think its equivalent to thumbsucking, and he is 5 yrs btw so no hasnt grown out of it :laugh:

we just call it sams happy time :laugh: (thats a transformers reference for those who havent see it :rolleyes: )

:wave: G day Dandybrush, Go us Dolers & our quirky kids !!!!

Hope Willow & Raz are going well & running a muck LOL. My Stella, what can I say :crazy::o , she is just a very funny girl. She lie's like a turtle, suck's her 'sucky toy' which is now a beautiful big fluffy Pelican

Sonny has kindly donated to her. At least now I can watch her do this sucky toy thing & not worry as much about her, she is content, healthy & happy that is all that matters after all & very adorable :love: