My Dogs First Tick :(

meluchja

My 15 month old, came home tonight after spending the last 12 days with my parents as we went on holidays.

I found a tick on the lower part of his neck, and after googling we are pretty sure it's a paralysis tick.

I rang the emergency vet, who said to just monitor him throughout the night, as he is showing no signs yet of poisioning. We removed the tick, and used Fidos tick rinse. So no futher posioning should occur.

We had a vet appointment for him in the morning anyway for his annual vacc. So she said just to check on him throughout the night and take the tick with us to his appointment tomorrow.

I have since read that this tick in winter can engorge itself for up to 21 days on it hosts before dropping off and laying eggs.

We are pretty sure he would have picked it up when they went to visit my sister in Esk, which is a small country town. They came home 6 days ago after being there for 4 days. Which means the tick could have been on him for 6-10days. It is approx. 7-8mm in diameter. Creamy body with the little brown crown on it's head end, all legs up the front end, with a darkish rim around its body.

I'm really worried for what the future may bring for him. I guess I will know more tomorrow once we are at the vets.

Has anyone been in a similar situation??? How long did it take for your dog to show symptoms? How long did the symptoms last? Did you dog need to be hospitalised?

My poor boy :(

Edited by meluchja

If it was on him 6-10 days it would not a paralysis tick. The only time I have seen a paralysis tick on a dog , a shepherd she was wobbling by the end of our walk.

When I lived in New Guinea dogs had ticks all the time.

I thought the same thing. I'm not 100% sure he picked it up at my sisters, just thought more likely. But I did read in winter it can feed on it's host for up to 21 days and up to 6 in summer, but I could have read a dodgy site, don't know.

If it was on him 6-10 days it would not a paralysis tick. The only time I have seen a paralysis tick on a dog , a shepherd she was wobbling by the end of our walk.

When I lived in New Guinea dogs had ticks all the time.

Not true for all dogs. Some have a greater tolerance for them, and some paralysis ticks have different strength of toxin.

We had a paralysis tick on our GSD ... we believe it would have been on him for 4/5 days before he became wobbly in the back legs and another 2 days before it started to affect his breathing.

I had taken him to the vet on the Friday for an ear infection and about 10 to 15 minutes later he collapsed like he had tripped over. I called him to me and he came over and was a little wobbly on his feet. I rang the vet and them came out and diagnosed an inner ear infection which affected his balance. He continued to go down hill and on the Sunday I took him to another vet to have his bladder drained (he hadn't toileted since the Friday). It was only then that we found the tick and he received treatment - by this time he was struggling to breath.

I have attached some pics of a paralysis tick ...

post-1668-0-25735100-1308482848_thumb.jpg

post-1668-0-86480000-1308482858_thumb.jpg

Thats it for sure. It's possible he could have picked it up at my parents but thought it would be more likely my sisters. Can anyone guess how long it's been on him if it's approx. 7mm.?

Thank you for helping. I hope your dog was ok in the end

I hope your dog was ok in the end

He made a full recovery - it took him about 2 weeks before he was up and about and another month before he returned to complete normal. The weekend cost me just under $1,000 but it was well worth it.

Once a tick is removed there's a chance the tick could have left a residue of poison under the skin which will then be slowly absorbed. You should keep an eye on them for the next two to four days - avoiding excitement and exercise.

Early signs:

•A change in voice; the bark becomes softer and/or changes pitch.

•Weakness in the back legs; walking along then sitting down suddenly is a common early sign.

•Vomiting, especially if it happens several times in a day and you see froth.

Later signs:

•Wobbliness in the back legs.

•Excessive salivation and vomiting is not uncommon.

•Panting, progressing to loud breathing, even grunting noises.

•Many dogs will exhibit a moist cough and breathing problems before other signs. (Particularly common in King Charles spaniels, schnauzers and other short-nosed dogs, this is a dangerous sign because it may lead to pneumonia.)

Worsening signs:

•As signs of poisoning progress, the animals become unable to stand.

•Breathing becomes exaggerated and difficult.

•As breathing becomes more difficult, the gums become cold and blue-tinged. Death follows quite quickly.

Keep checking him for more ticks as well. There is often more than one.

Most dogs I know of that have had tick poisoning have had syptoms from 3-5 days after picking up the tick. It is also possible that the tick was in his coat or on something else he came in contact with for a few days before it actually attached. I brought one back from a trip to Qld once either on dogs or my gear. I found the tick 4 days after returning home on a dog that had not come with me. It had only just attached and not engorged being about 3mm in size.

I'm really worried for what the future may bring for him. I guess I will know more tomorrow once we are at the vets.

Has anyone been in a similar situation??? How long did it take for your dog to show symptoms? How long did the symptoms last? Did you dog need to be hospitalised?

Try not to worry too much!! You have done all the important things i.e. tick is off and monitoring for any symptoms. Handy to be going to the vet tomorrow, even if it just helps put your mind at ease!

I have removed dozens of paralysis ticks off my dogs over the years, for many years we lived in a VERY bushy area backing onto a national park. Despite using fortnightly tick treatments the buggers still seemed to fine their way onto the dogs. There was only once where I missed one (on my border), she developed voice change and hind quarters weakness and she was rushed straight to the vet. We caught it early and she was home two days later. I do remember it being rather costly though... $500-800 by memory??

Sure your boy will be fine, just keep an eye on him and if you are at all worried best to take him straight to the vet.

Edited by cmkelpie

Thank you everyone. He has been ok during the night, haven't checked on him since 3, so will wake him up shortly and will take him outside soon to do a wee to see if he can.

I normally feel so guilty, when we go on holidays and leave him behind, now I feel terrible.

Thank you for the reassurance, glad to hear that your dog made it, I'll be so paranoid now.

I'm really worried for what the future may bring for him. I guess I will know moreThank you for th tomorrow once we are at the vets.

Try not to worry too much!! You have done all the important things i.e. tick is off and monitoring for any symptoms. Handy to be going to the vet tomorrow, even if it just helps put your mind at ease!

I have removed dozens of paralysis ticks off my dogs over the years, for many years we lived in a VERY bushy area backing onto a national park. Despite using fortnightly tick treatments the buggers still seemed to fine their way onto the dogs. There was only once where I missed one (on my border), she developed voice change and hind quarters weakness and she was rushed straight to the vet. We caught it early and she was home two days later. I do remember it being rather costly though... $500-800 by memory??

Sure your boy will be fine, just keep an eye on him and if you are at all worried best to take him straight to the vet.

Thank you everyone. He has been ok during the night, haven't checked on him since 3, so will wake him up shortly and will take him outside soon to do a wee to see if he can.

I normally feel so guilty, when we go on holidays and leave him behind, now I feel terrible.

Don't walk him for a few days, keep him quiet.

Don't walk him for a few days, keep him quiet.

Thanks will do, will also keep him with me as much as possible. Have vet appoint. in an hour so will know more then, but all is looking great atm. Thanks again.

My Kelpie got a tick, we lived in a bad tick area. She was on Frontline fortnightly. The first symptom was wobbly in hind legs. I found the tick and removed it then took her to the vet. The vet treated her with antiserum and proban, said she wasnt too bad and to take her home. They said she would get worse before she got better, she got worse and she never got better. She died at the vets after we had taken her back in. :cry::cry::cry: i hate bloody ticks and am so pleased when we move to NZ there are no ticks, snakes etc etc.

Keep a close eye on your dog and if in doupt get into the vet ASAP.

My Kelpie got a tick, we lived in a bad tick area. She was on Frontline fortnightly. The first symptom was wobbly in hind legs. I found the tick and removed it then took her to the vet. The vet treated her with antiserum and proban, said she wasnt too bad and to take her home. They said she would get worse before she got better, she got worse and she never got better. She died at the vets after we had taken her back in. :cry::cry::cry: i hate bloody ticks and am so pleased when we move to NZ there are no ticks, snakes etc etc.

Keep a close eye on your dog and if in doupt get into the vet ASAP.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We just got home from the vet, they didn't have a vet in, they mixed up the roster. So going back at 1pm. The vet nurse, did confirm it's a paralysis tick though. And she couldn't believe he picked one up this time of year. She was also stunned that he is showing no symptoms, when it has obviously been on him for several days. Fingers crossed he is just one very lucky boy, and he doesn't go downhill fast.

Interesting that they can be on them for a few days before signs.

As I have only had the one experience. The dog did not have any on her before the walk as my friend had gone over her.

We removed the tick and about 15 mins later she had stopped wobbling. Maybe it affected her quickly.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We just got home from the vet, they didn't have a vet in, they mixed up the roster. So going back at 1pm. The vet nurse, did confirm it's a paralysis tick though. And she couldn't believe he picked one up this time of year. She was also stunned that he is showing no symptoms, when it has obviously been on him for several days. Fingers crossed he is just one very lucky boy, and he doesn't go downhill fast.

Thanks.

Ticks can be around anytime of the year and their toxidity can vary too, in our case the vet said that the ticks were very toxic and they had had quite a few bad cases. I reckon your boy will be good. Good luck

Edited by kelpiekaye

The vet nurse, did confirm it's a paralysis tick though. And she couldn't believe he picked one up this time of year. She was also stunned that he is showing no symptoms, when it has obviously been on him for several days. Fingers crossed he is just one very lucky boy, and he doesn't go downhill fast.

Ticks can be active all year...and are usually worse if there has been a lot of rain around.

I have picked a fair sized tick off our Kelpie and he had no symptoms whatsoever. I, however, just have to get a tiny one, at the larvae stage, and I get an allergic reaction, with a hot itchy lump that lasts a week or more and can spread cm across whichever part of my anatomy it was on. I am just recovering from yet another tick.

Ticks have a 3 stage life cycle...with a tick at the adult stage being the most toxic. What you found on your dog was probably a tick at the middle or nymph stage perhaps?

In Qld....

•Larvae appear late Feb to April/May

(not causing disease)

•Nymphs March to September/October

(occasional mild disease, opportunity to gain resistance in tick infested areas)

•The adult population emerges in August to February, peaking around December

(disease - tick search daily!)

post-2567-0-07430600-1308536509_thumb.jpg