Finding A House Mate That Likes Dogs - But Doesn't Own Any Themsel

Lisey

I know there are plenty of sites when you're looking for accommodation and you have a pet... What about when you have a room to rent in your house and you need to find a person that likes dogs but not have any of their own?

It may be a possibility in the near future that I have to find this type of person? Where would I start looking? I have 2 of my own dogs and adding a 3rd would be too many...

Advertise for exactly that on Gumtree as well. Specify you have a dog, what sort, whether it is inside/outside, that you will expect anyone living with you to not necessarily train your dog but to enforce your training rules with the dog. That you want someone who does not have a dog/cat/pet of their own etc.

I used to use flatmatefinders.com.au

I assume theya re still up and running ebcause it was a brilliant service. You put in the details of your household and you also put in the details of what you are looking for in a housemate and it matches you up, then you choose who to contact. Internet dating but to find a housemate!!!

I also had pets and wanted people who liked/tolerated animals (I was very honest about the fact that my animals were indoors when I was, etc). I got lucky and found some great people through this. Generally those from overseas who had moved here semi-permanently and were missing their pets from home, others who had moved from country to city, plus those who desperately wanted a pet but didn't want the full time responsibility and cost.

Worked well for me! :thumbsup:

Yes I can not agree more to uni/oversea student. I used to be the one you want (I had a cat though). I even minded my friend's two dogs for more than a year while she did her post grad at another state. I was very happy to do so.

Definitely not gumtree, have only had weird responses from there, if you do advertise on gumtree, be careful not to provide too much information (ie photos) that will reveal your address. (Actually this should apply for advertising in general). And cross advertise, do not rely on gumtree.

I have been in this situation, and found domain.com.au provided the best, quality responses from genuine intereted people. I found working professionals, not students (I specifically did not want students as flatmates who might just mope about on days off or just spend time on the couch). Alternately you might get lucky and get students that are into dogs (like vet studies or some other animal studies student?). Flatmate finder was alright too, but didn't yield enough choice for me to choose from. It's good for you to be able to have a range of choices so that it is up to you to decide who you might be comfortable sharing your home and your pets with, that you feel you can trust.

ETA: I know that gumtree is great for many things, but what I have said above is based from experience. I found that all gumtree respondants did not read the ad properly in some form or other.

Edited by Panto