Dog Wheelchairs/mobility Carts

Hi,

I am just starting to look into some form of mobility aid for my miniature pinscher who is having trouble with her rear legs. We have an appointment with a neurologist on Tuesday to see what she thinks can be done (and hopefully she can consult some of her colleagues in other disciplines also), but would like to know a bit more about wheelchairs/carts in the meantime.

Has anyone bought one, or had one made for a small dog? Are there any features that we should definitely have, or any we should definitely avoid?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have already spoken with one manufacturer, but would like to know some real-life experiences.

Thank you. :)

I used one for Smooch after he had a spinal stroke a few years ago. I basically used it for support, so had it adjusted so his back legs were touching the ground to get him to use his legs. the biggest drawback I had with it was I was forever putting it on and taking it off him as he couldn't lay down with it. Don't know what brand mine is as it was purchased from a friend who's dog had passed away. All I know is it was imported and quite expensive.

You are welcome to come and have a look at it.

This is Smooch, the bits at the back that are hanging down are for support of the back legs so they don't drag but I didn't need to use that part of it.

IMG_0319.jpg

Edited by smooch

Thanks Smooch. That was one thing I was a bit worried about - the fact that they can't lay down with it on. But still, if it increases mobility maybe she will then be content to lay still at other times.

This is probably not going to be overly helpful as I cannot remember their username but there is a DOLer who does this for a business. Her username has dane in it and usually posts in rescue. She'd be a good person to contact.

I don't have any personal experience with these but Jo from Aqua Paws supplies them - also runs rehab but she is in Vic so rehab out for you. They are built to fit your dog perfectly.

Link below:

http://www.aquapaws.com.au/a/About_us/Home

Thanks BD - Jo is the one person I have spoken with and she seems very nice and willing to help. It's nice to hear from someone who knows her :)

I haven't personally had experience with one but was speaking to someone with a collie with one at a dog park, they said it was the best thing they did for the dog! No problems getting used to it, asked for it to be put on/off, they imported theirs from the USA as it was much cheaper. The one they had was fully adjustable so you could alter the position of the rear legs allowing them to touch the ground or be lifted away - they had a nice pair of dog socks/boots fitted to the dog as sometimes he would attempt walking/other times he would not be able to and initially he was having issues with them rubbing on the ground. What i liked about it was how adjustable it was - also very light weight.

This is probably not going to be overly helpful as I cannot remember their username but there is a DOLer who does this for a business. Her username has dane in it and usually posts in rescue. She'd be a good person to contact.

Oops sorry I missed your post, Danois. I did see an old post from someone when I did a search - it sounded like she might even be Jo that BD mentioned? I'll have another look.

Karly - thank you. I would like one where we have the option of letting her feet touch the ground as she can still walk - at least until she falls over :)

I belong to a Yahoo group for dogs with mobility problems and a lot of the people there have carts for their dogs. It seems the most popular ones are from Eddie's Wheels in the States. I have not looked into these yet as I am in a state of denial that Casper will need one but you might want to check them out.

As an aside, when/if you purchase any cart, I would appreciate it if you could post some feedback on DOL. Thanks and good luck.

Edited by White Shepherd mom