Trainer/behaviorist Sydney?

Guest HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

Hi all,

Harper is wonderful, but we just want to get a little help from a good trainer/behaviorist to fine-tune a few things and make sure we are doing things right :)

Can anyone recommend someone good in Sydney who does house calls?

We have contacted Mutts with Manners. Has anyone had any experience with them?

No idea but there is no exact right way of rearing a puppy anymore than there is a right way to raise children. We all have different ideas & a trainer may not have the same idea, expectations or do things the way you would like them done. Unless you have a specific problem that you have really tried to fix & can't & it is a big problem my advice is to

Enjoy your puppy & try to stop fussing & stressing.

He is a dog, a living being & while we do expect certain things from them they are not robots & are not all the same & we would not want them to be. Examples I don't mind my dogs sleeping on the bed & lounges, some people mind a lot

You have to gain confidence so why not go to basic dog training, save yourself a lot of $'s & relax, enjoy him & meet some other people for a social outing.

It seems that either you or the pup have constant issues. Not intending to sound mean to you, although it may appear so, but the issue is that you really do need to relax about this puppy or he is going to end up stressed by you.

Steve at www.k9pro.com.au

not sure if he does house calls though.

He doesn't.

Unfortunately he is a very long way to go for just fine tuning of basic manners.

When looking for a trainer, do be very careful. There are lots of trainers out there that do more harm than good (I know this from personal experience :( ). I havent heard of Mutts with Manners, sorry.

If you dont have any major issues, I agree with Christina and suggest you join your local obedience club. :D

You will be amazed the difference it will make in your relationship with your dog.

Harper GD - Steve from k9 is brilliant and if you can travel to Kurrajong to see him his advice is invaluable.

It could make a nce weekend away mid winter :D

We took our two Labs to meet with him late last year for a few issues and not only did he help us with those but gave us a heap of advice on numerous other related problems in addition to follow up support via email. We only had the one visit with him and considered it time very well spent..

I believe he may still do remote/phone consults ? Definitly have a look at his website as that may be an option for you ?

No idea but there is no exact right way of rearing a puppy anymore than there is a right way to raise children. We all have different ideas & a trainer may not have the same idea, expectations or do things the way you would like them done. Unless you have a specific problem that you have really tried to fix & can't & it is a big problem my advice is to

Enjoy your puppy & try to stop fussing & stressing.

He is a dog, a living being & while we do expect certain things from them they are not robots & are not all the same & we would not want them to be. Examples I don't mind my dogs sleeping on the bed & lounges, some people mind a lot

You have to gain confidence so why not go to basic dog training, save yourself a lot of $'s & relax, enjoy him & meet some other people for a social outing.

It seems that either you or the pup have constant issues. Not intending to sound mean to you, although it may appear so, but the issue is that you really do need to relax about this puppy or he is going to end up stressed by you.

I would prefer people to go see a trainer to just get some one on one advice on training, so that by the time you take your dog to group training you already know how to get your dog to focus etc. Which I found makes training much more fun than trying to manage a dog and learn etc.

I guess after seeing so many people get frustrated with their dog, I would prefer people to actively try and set up good habits, rather than see trainers as a last resort.

Just come down to the local training club at Centennial Park on Sunday mornings.

I take my puppy there at 10am (half time)just to mix with the other dogs. I'm going to start her in class soon and Harper is smart enough to start training too.

He doesn't.

Unfortunately he is a very long way to go for just fine tuning of basic manners.

K9 Pro do house calls. Best to contact them and ask what options are available [email protected]

Personally I would travel for a reputable trainer anyway.

Steve at K9 Pro also has distance learning packages for basic behavioural issues.

I don't think an hour or so drive is a long way to set up good behaviours for the future? Not everything needs to be on your doorstep. And he gives heaps of follow up support.

Besides Kurrajong is very pretty and the cafe there has good sweeties and coffee :)

He doesn't.

K9 Pro do house calls. Best to contact them and ask what options are available [email protected]

Interesting, that's good to know. Must be a new development. Last time I contacted him he didnt, he was busy enough with bookings out at his property.

Not everyone is able to travel, I wasn't able to, and it can be beneficial for a trainer to observe your home environment.

He doesn't.

Travelling to k9pro is definitely worth it!

Even for seemingly minor issues.

where in sydney are you located?

Guest HarperGD

Thanks for all the replies! I think I might head out to K9, everyone seems to speak so highly of them and I don't mind the drive :)

Harper good with basic obedience, that's not the issue at all. I just want to get some guidance on helping him be more secure on his own. It's probably just him being a normal puppy, but how would I know? This is my first dog and I'm getting a lot of conflicting opinions on it.

I'm sure I probably do need to relax, but I just want to make sure he is a happy pooch cos I love him so so soooo much :D

I really don't feel like we are having constant issues and I'm kinda embarrassed I gave that impression :confused:

We had a rocky start, yes. But things have dramatically improved and now we're having so much fun.

I've just never owned a dog before so it's all new to me and I like posting questions on here because I always get such great responses :)

Edited by HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

Agreed persephone!

We came home last night after leaving him alone while we went out to dinner and he was sleeping in his crate. Awwww :)

I think I do worry for nothing. He's a good pup :)

Will have a look at Eastern Subs Dog Club too!

Agreed persephone!

We came home last night after leaving him alone while we went out to dinner and he was sleeping in his crate. Awwww :)

I think I do worry for nothing. He's a good pup :)

Will have a look at Eastern Subs Dog Club too!

The Eastern suburbs dog club on Sundays at Centennial Park is really good for basic stuff and fun to go to regular classes. I went to Steve too but had a specific problem. Otherwise I recommend Eastern Beaches Dog Training, Lorna comes to the house and I had her the first week I had my dog to help set up the routine which was great, helped me get back to work by getting my dog used to absences. I was new and knew nothing really so I found the sessions very helpful. I have had her back a year later too. I'll PM you.