Dogs In The Nsw Snowy Mountains

stormie

I'm planning a short trip to the Snowy Mountains in a couple of weeks with the hope of letting Orbit see snow. We're staying in Canberra and only driving down to the snow for a day, so won't be staying overnight.

The ski fields are all in the Nat. Park so I realise Orbit won't be allowed past that point. So can anyone recommend any places I can take him too where he might be able to have a little snow frolic? Or even somewhere we could do a bit of a scenic walk?

Thanks!!

Unfortunately NSW resorts are set up a little differently as VIC ones, as the village is down the bottom of the mountain and because of this it rarely snows that far down. It becomes even more difficult when trying to find snow outside the national parks!

We are lucky this season there has been quite a lot of snow and more is expected next week! So you should find it along the road up to Thredbo. (I only know Thredbo sorry!!)

There are some good walking tracks around lake crackenback resort, not sure about dogs there though but its the closest to the boarder of the national park. From memory you can also access walking tracks from Wild Brumby Schnapps (and taste some delish schnapps too!) but again there may not be snow that low.

A local map may help with other walking tracks, would be best to go as close as possible to the national park as the altitude gets higher as you get closer which means more snow!

Good luck and I'm very jealous you get to take Orbit to the snow, we had to leave Kobi as we we're skiing the whole time! It looks to be an awesome season so fingers crossed the snow settles very low and you get to play!

Thank you!

I also just received a response from one of the Pet Friendly Resorts down there who pretty much said the same thing, but suggested I drive through Thredbo towards Victoria and they will let us through with Orbit.

My sister is heading down the week before so she's going to give me a first hand snow report when she gets back, but otherwise I think I'll just have to cross my fingers.

I think there could be more areas available on the other side - nearer to Selwyn snowfields? Kiandra area perhaps? But it's easier to access those areas via Gundagai/Tumut than through Canberra so maybe not much help anyway.

There are several of these threads around. It really depends on where you are wanting to drive. If you are just doing a day trip you can head through Cooma to Adaminaby and up over through Kiandra and towards Tumut. You are still in National Park but there are no park gates or fees. There are several areas you can turn of the road and walk if you like, dogs are not permitted in National Parks but provided you have him on lead we have never had a problem. We have always just used the excuse that we needed to stretch legs. There are no shops or anything past Adaminaby.

If you go the other way either towards Thredbo or Perisher most of the time you are in the National Park before you even see snow, there is much more traffic and many more National Park Vehicles.

Obviously it all depends on the weather and what month you head up here :D If there is a big dump and you have a 4wd you can take the backroad from behind Canberra (Thowra) into Cooma, we took this road last week to avoid a car accident that had the road shut down and there was still patches of snow around :) This road can be done with a 2wd most of the time but it can be very muddy, icy and lots of branches down over the road - if there was a dump of snow you would definatley need a 4wd.