When Did You Get A New Furry Family Member?

My girl Suzi passed away 29th of august last year, it was so hard to deal with her being gone there no-one to welcome me as I'd walk through the door. My nanna gave her to me for my 6th birthday, so i had her company for as long as i could remember. After she passed i found it so hard to sleep at night, i just felt so unsafe.. even though she was only a little dog, it still made me feel safe knowing she was there. But every time i thought about getting a new pup, id break down at the thought of replacing her, so i knew i wasn't ready for another. But 7th of May, my boyfriend picked me up after work and there was a puppy sitting on the chair, and that.s how i ended up with my boy. So it was roughly 9 months before i got another pup. I guess everyone feels differently about getting another animal after losing one.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I left my dogs with my ex, it took me about 18 months before I got Charlie.

But, that was more because I didn't have time, energy or room for another dog. I felt kinda lost without a dog. Charlie came at the right time :D

Its such a varried thing... like my mum got a new addition about 6 months prior to our old family dog passing away at 16 and a half, she knew it was coming and knew her other little dog would fret so got the new dog before that happened.

I lost a pug unexpectedly (he was only 2) and went out and got a new pug baby within a week i just couldnt live life without have a pug there, I couldnt sleep because I missed his snoring so badly :o she definately helped me heal!!!

After we lost our first dog at 10years old (14 years ago) i was so down. within two weeks i broke down and told OH that i couldn't go on without another dog in our family. We immediately started looking for suitable litters. About two months later our darling Casper came home to us. We lost Casper in Late May this year and again knew right away that we weren't complete without a four legged family member and started looking for litters in mid June. Wilbur will be coming home to us in 3 1/2 weeks. For us, the introduction of a new four legged family member has helped lessen the grief of the lost four legged family member. We still grieve for Casper even though we are excited by Wilbur's imminent arrival. It was the same when Casper came; we still grieved for Keiran but were excited by Casper.

You will have to find what works for you. I don't feel guilt about getting another four legged family member; we are not replacing those that have passed. We are continuing to live our lives with the inclusion of another loved one. The pain of grief thankfully fades and it is replaced by memories of the joy that each different but equally as important four legged family member brought to us.