Dogs On The Loose...

Alouk

Arrgghhh!! I have to say something to someone!

I was walking around my neighbourhood with my 5 month old Border C this evening and she was walking so well! But then this awful racket started up and this tiny tiny little Chihuahua (I think, from what I saw) came charging out from the darkness and went straight for her feet- out of instinct I picked up Stella and this dog jumped up on me to try and get to her! It kept jumping and even bit me- I have a purple raised bruise on my leg!

Then it charged after us up the road. I felt so harassed and annoyed with the whole situation...but what do I do?

I'm not sure which house it came from which is a shame...

Needed to tell someone as I am home alone!

Alouk how awful :eek:

I would contact the local council & let them know what time, street name & roughly what house no, if you can remember, show them the marks you have

by most councils this is classified as an attack with giving them as much details as possible they may be able to locate the dog (if it registed) & the ownes & take actions :)

I hope this is some comfort for you :hug:

Its a shame, but I walk my pup with a stick, I use it to fend off strays as required... in honesty I wouldnt hesitate to clobber a stray if meant protecting myself and my pup...

After all if you are pack leader its your responcibility to protect your pack :)

Funny- I don't know why I didn't think of the council! I will talk to them today. I tell you what- I nearly kicked it! I yelled 'Go away' and felt really pathetic :o

I'll tell them because I want to walk that way more often but don't want to deal with it again.

Thanks a lot- for the moral support! :)

I had some yappy thing rush out from some units last week - I just roared at it to 'git outta it' and it backed off really quickly (it always takes a second follow up though as they stop but dont back off til you growl at them a second time). If you grab your dog and get scared any dog no matter how small will keep going at you and your dog. If you get between your dog and it (and teach your dog to do this) you can yell/growl at them , stomp your foot and kick if you have to. Most back off well before the kick stage if you become the aggressor in your personal space. You have to teach your dog that it must stay behind you and let you deal with it though.

The other day I had some moron walking their black fluffy thing on oe of those retractor lead and she was trying to haul it away as it charged us - my dog though kept me between it and her and shot forward to stay clear when it and owner got around behind us. Owner just yanked on it no discipline and thats common they do nothing or 'comfort' the little yappy charging thing instead of putting it in its place.

Edited by rubiton

I'd have to admit that I have and will kick at a dog that is attacking my dogs or me - regardless of it's size...

... obviously the strength of the kick is adjusted for size though...

In your case, the attacking dog actually bit you and has left a mark - report it to council as not being contained, and that it is highly aggressive. Take photos of your wound for proof...

T.

Hi again!

I agree that I shouldn't have picked up my pup but it was my first reaction! I immediately wondered what message I was putting across- to her and the other dog, not one of strong leadership but we all make mistakes- I'll act differently next time I hope!

I have been in to the council and put in the complaint, they were really helpful which was nice, I hope it gets followed up on :)

Thanks!