Consumer Watchdog: Vet Those Pet Fix Prices

Staranais

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10738935

When tomcats from far and wide began to descend on Corrina Dixon's Westmere property, she realised it was time to take young Meow Meow to get "fixed".

But the 24-year-old student teacher was shocked to discover desexing her female kitten would cost $200 at her local vet. Other Central Auckland vets confirmed the bill would be at least $150.

"Everywhere was so steep," Dixon said. "I couldn't believe it."

Just as she was about to dip into her savings, she discovered Great South Vets in Otahuhu charges just $89 to have a female cat desexed, less than half the cost in the city.

I wonder if she realises that rather than the first clinic being money grubbing and "steep", the second clinic has probably made a loss doing her cat's surgery, counting on her continued loyalty to make it worth their while? There's simply no way you can do good quality, safe abdominal surgery for $89, let alone make a profit on it.

It astounds me that when an OVE in a cat costs less than 2% of the cost that it would cost to do a similar surgery in a human, vets are still the baddies for charging too much for surgery.

Sorry, just got my goat a little.

The cost of desexing a female cat at most of the vets in a 70 kilometre radius here is from $75 to $95. Male cats are cheaper by about $20.

I have always been very happy & trusted that they were safe for all the kittens I have bred & desexed before they leave me & for non breeding adults that have been done.

Knowing many other breeders & some rescue we do discuss this & various vets & I seldom hear of any complaints after desexing surgery.

Some vets do give a registered breeders discount but others just charge the low price regardless.

People may prefer to pay more because they are comfortable & familiar & trust their usual vet but that doesn't always mean cheaper elsewhere is always inferior.

Yes. I've talked to several practice principles & know for a fact many clinics will underprice spays, and few if any will turn a profit on them. Desexings aren't your bread and butter way to make profit - they're your way of attracting loyal clients that will come back to you for vaccinations, operations & consultations in the future.

Think of the costs involved in a "routine" spay that must be covered before the clinic owner actually starts making any profit on that procedure, off the top of my head I can think of:

* Pre-med drugs

* Induction drugs

* Maintenance gas

* Oxygen

* Surgical disposables:

Syringes and needles

Scalpel blade

Sterile swabs

Sterile surgical gloves

Surgical scrub solution

* Suture material

* Cleaning and sterilising surgical drapes, clothing & equipment between uses

* Repaying, replacing and maintaining equipment:

Anaethetic machine including bags and breathing circuits

Endotracheal tubes

Surgical instruments

Autoclave

Clippers

Clipper blades

plus possibly a heat pad, pulse ox or blood pressure monitor

* Surgeon time during procedure (1/2 to 1 hr @$25 - $35 per hour)

* Vet nurse time during procedure (1 hr @$16 - $18 per hour)

* Indirect costs of operating a vet clinic that must be recouped from clients (rent, power, phone, internet, receptionist wages)

If you price all those things out, I think you'd be surprised how much it adds up to - much closer to the $200 mark than the $90 mark, even if you are in a low rent district and use the cheapest drugs and surgical materials.

Yes. I've talked to several practice principles & know for a fact many clinics will underprice spays, and few if any will turn a profit on them. Desexings aren't your bread and butter way to make profit - they're your way of attracting loyal clients that will come back to you for vaccinations, operations & consultations in the future.

We have been told the same thing by several practice owners/managers.