Clicker For Puppy

Guest HarperGD

Guest HarperGD

I bought a clicker yesterday for training with my poodle pup Harper and all I can say is... how the heck did it take me 8 weeks to buy this thing!?!?

It's amazing!!!

I've taught him to play fetch with it (never fetched before), we had a lovely brushing session using it, his recall is a million times better with it and he sits now without me having to use the hand action. All this in 24 hours!

Is anyone else a complete clicker convert??

Edited by HarperGD

Yup, I love our clicker! It's so useful for when you really need to be super accurate with your timing. Even trying to say such a simple word as "yes" can sometimes be hard to say at the exact moment it's needed. (And I feel much less silly clicking rather than saying "yes" constantly :laugh: )

Guest HarperGD

Haha I like the sound! It reminds me of something I would annoy my parents with when I was a child ;)

Total convert here too!

Discovered it a few years ago at a seminar by Sue Hogben. Best seminar I've ever attended. Training just got soooooo much easier from that point forward.

Will never be without one again.

I bought a clicker yesterday for training with my poodle pup Harper and all I can say is... how the heck did it take me 8 weeks to buy this thing!?!?

It's amazing!!!

I've taught him to play fetch with it (never fetched before), we had a lovely brushing session using it, his recall is a million times better with it and he sits now without me having to use the hand action. All this in 24 hours!

Is anyone else a complete clicker convert??

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ABSOLUTELY it is the single BEST thing I have EVER bought (aside from my pup ;) )

Both our dogs responded really well to training with the clicked but it made me feel really uncoordinated trying to get used to holding clicker, lead, reaching for treats etc

I do a lot of the training off lead, but if you are in a class situation or your dog hasn't yet got a good recall you can either get a lead that opens to double length and use the loop around your clicker arm (so it is out of the way) or just stand on the lead. I do find that the dog gets so focused though, that a lead isn't needed.

I either have a few treats in my clicker hand (so easy to get hold of fast) as I use the none clicker hand for things like hand touching or getting the dog to follow for twists etc etc so want a treat free hand so the dog isn't just following food. Treats can also be in a treat bad at your belt. The beauty of the clicker though is that you don't need to shove treat in the dog the second you have clicked, they know click means food is coming soon, so you don't need to panic about getting it asap.