My Australian Terriers Are Plump

Hi,

My two boys - Mr Tiddles and Bobby - are a touch plump and I am looking for a good diet for them.

They are aged 6 and 4 so should be in good health (Bobby is in great health but is 14kgs while Mr T has bad legs and is 12.6kgs)

Currently I give them a handful (maybe 10) little biscuits in the morning, just kibble biscuits from Optimum. For tea, they get half a bowl of grated carrot, 50 grams of My Dog and half a cup each of the Optimum biscuits.

Is there a diet they should be on? Something that is perfect for small terriers?

Thanks,

Peter.

Hi,

My two boys - Mr Tiddles and Bobby - are a touch plump and I am looking for a good diet for them.

They are aged 6 and 4 so should be in good health (Bobby is in great health but is 14kgs while Mr T has bad legs and is 12.6kgs)

Currently I give them a handful (maybe 10) little biscuits in the morning, just kibble biscuits from Optimum. For tea, they get half a bowl of grated carrot, 50 grams of My Dog and half a cup each of the Optimum biscuits.

Is there a diet they should be on? Something that is perfect for small terriers?

Thanks,

Peter.

My Aussies are each fed 1/2 cup of Black Hawk dry food in the morning and approx an inch wide slice of Ecopet roll (approx 1 cup I guess)at night plus some treats ie dog biscuits, etc. My bitch weighs 6.5 kg and my dog is around 7 kg (as per the standard)

Mr Tiddles, why don't you come along and watch the Australian Terrier Club of Vic specialty show this Sunday (31st July) at Bulla, starts at 11.30 am.

By the way I would ditch the My Dog too as others have said. Look at foods that are more natural but filling, canned foods are high percentage of water.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

They had their last My Dog last night and I have bought some lean roo meat for them to try tonight.

Hadn't heard of the specialty show at Bulla, they are only 40 kms away from me, so I will take my boys and go on Sunday if I can. :)

I feed my aussie raw meat/bones/vegies. He is 9.7kg - but skinny as he is slightly bigger than standard. I think you can give them less dry food; however maybe better increase the activity. Do you walk them every day? How long? Is it just walk or plenty of running, playing together?

I feed my aussie raw meat/bones/vegies. He is 9.7kg - but skinny as he is slightly bigger than standard. I think you can give them less dry food; however maybe better increase the activity. Do you walk them every day? How long? Is it just walk or plenty of running, playing together?

Hi Vicky&Vigor, it's so nice to see another Aussie terrier owner on the board :thumbsup:

Please feel free to visit the Aussie terrier thread in the breed subforums, :) unfortunately there is only a couple of us in it, so it would lovely to have another Aussie owner to talk to...would love to hear all about your Aussie & see pics too. :D

I hope your dogs enjoyed the roo meat Peter. :)

I walk them every day but the 6 year old (Mr Tiddles) has had arthritis since he was a pup and on Monday, he will have his third leg operation (three different legs) so he is a little slow. Bobby at 4 years old is a bundle of energy but plump.

I take them both swimming once a week and now that I am on holidays for the next 6 weeks, Bobby will get two swims a week.

Mr T likes the roo meat, Bobby is a little more wary of it.

Mr Tiddles, why don't you come along and watch the Australian Terrier Club of Vic specialty show this Sunday (31st July) at Bulla, starts at 11.30 am.

By the way I would ditch the My Dog too as others have said. Look at foods that are more natural but filling, canned foods are high percentage of water.

Went to the show on Sunday and was in love with all the dogs on show (admittedly one couldn't love my two more). Will have to drop the weight off them though, there was a massive (literally) difference between my two and the show dogs (who mostly were blue and tan - aren't reds popular anymore?)

It was good meeting you, learned a lot just from the few minutes. :)

Went to the show on Sunday and was in love with all the dogs on show (admittedly one couldn't love my two more). Will have to drop the weight off them though, there was a massive (literally) difference between my two and the show dogs (who mostly were blue and tan - aren't reds popular anymore?)

Keep up the good work with the diet, they will feel like new pups if you can get them down to a reasonable weight, although they are very much on the larger side general build wise (probably why they were selected to go to pet homes originally)I would tend to think 8-10 kg a suitable weight to aim for, hope you now have bit more knowledge to advise your vet too.

The blue and tans are much stronger in Victoria but NSW and Qld have quite a few reds being shown (have a look at the profiles on DOL).

If you would like to learn how to groom them sometime let me know, lot of dead coat on them at moment, that would get some weight of them too ;).

Keep up the good work with the diet, they will feel like new pups if you can get them down to a reasonable weight, although they are very much on the larger side general build wise (probably why they were selected to go to pet homes originally)I would tend to think 8-10 kg a suitable weight to aim for, hope you now have bit more knowledge to advise your vet too.

The blue and tans are much stronger in Victoria but NSW and Qld have quite a few reds being shown (have a look at the profiles on DOL).

If you would like to learn how to groom them sometime let me know, lot of dead coat on them at moment, that would get some weight of them too ;).

I did notice the difference in the coats of my two (who get regular brushing) and the show dogs.

There is a new Best Friends franchise opened up near me so I am going to take Bobby there to have his first ever grooming. They are supposed to be very good.

I did notice the difference in the coats of my two (who get regular brushing) and the show dogs.

There is a new Best Friends franchise opened up near me so I am going to take Bobby there to have his first ever grooming. They are supposed to be very good.

Hi, Here is a link about grooming an Aussie http://australianterrierclubnsw.com/grooming.html

If you take them to be groomed at a salon, see if they will hand strip, clipping will soften the coat and your guys look like it will strip out very easily. What do you use to groom them now ie brush, comb, stripping knife, grooming block? Also, what shampoo do you use?

This may also help understand grooming requirements:

Hand Plucking and Stripping Basics:

Wiry-haired dogs are supposed to look rough and their hair is meant to be coarse. These top-coat hairs grow to longer length than the undercoat and then fall out from the root. The hair doesn't "blow out" or drop as normally shedding hair does: it needs help.

Wiry hair is naturally water and dirt resistant. Clipping this hair instead of plucking or stripping it causes its color to change dramatically over time and it will become soft, cottony, bumpy and too fluffy.

Clipping also leaves a wire-haired dog itchy all-over and irritated because the dead hair shafts remain behind.

Always pluck or strip before a bath. Wet hair is impossible to grasp and it's a good idea to bathe away irritation and clean any cuts or abrasions that may occur.

Perfectionists always hand pluck. This involves holding the pelt down with one hand, grasping some hairs between thumb and forefinger, and giving a firm, fast tug in the direction of hair growth.

Never twist the wrist. This cuts the hair rather than pulling it from the root. It also results in the hair being of even length which is not the aim.

Dead hair comes out easily. If needed, apply powder or chalk to the dog's fur or your own fingertips for a better grip. Some swear by a rubber glove.

Stripping is plucking with a tool. Make sure this knife is blunt. The purpose is not to cut the dog, the hair or yourself but to grip the hair.

Grasp the stripper and hold it perpendicular to the dog's hair growth. Grab some hair between the stripper's teeth and your thumb, rotating the blade away from the thumb and give a quick pull.

Hi, Here is a link about grooming an Aussie http://australianterrierclubnsw.com/grooming.html

If you take them to be groomed at a salon, see if they will hand strip, clipping will soften the coat and your guys look like it will strip out very easily. What do you use to groom them now ie brush, comb, stripping knife, grooming block? Also, what shampoo do you use?

Just got back from the grooming. Took Bobby and he is a new dog now. He was clippered at a size 3 and looks pretty good.

Normally I use a brush on them but the thing is that the boys go walking in the grass at least daily and their undercarriage gets all knotted. Bobby is totally shaved off underneath now. :)