Catching Kennel Cough From A Vaccinated Puppy?

anna

Hope this isn't a totally stupid question!

We have two dogs - Joss is 13 months old and Rupert is 4 months old. 10-12 days ago Rupert had his final puppy vaccination (C5).

Now Joss has a persistent cough, and has had for about a week. Rupert doesn't have it, nor does my XH's pup who also had his C5 vaccination a couple of weeks ago.

Is it possible that this is kennel cough as a result of the other dogs' vaccinations?

Hope this isn't a totally stupid question!

We have two dogs - Joss is 13 months old and Rupert is 4 months old. 10-12 days ago Rupert had his final puppy vaccination (C5).

Now Joss has a persistent cough, and has had for about a week. Rupert doesn't have it, nor does my XH's pup who also had his C5 vaccination a couple of weeks ago.

Is it possible that this is kennel cough as a result of the other dogs' vaccinations?

It is thought that a vaccinated dog may shed the virus.

I have always been told not to vaccinate when you have young puppies around.

I don't remember when or where I was told but it has always stuck in my mind.

That's what I thought :\ Joss isn't a puppy and has had her own C5 vaccination - she's just about due for her yearly vaccs.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her much, but should I take her to the vet just to be safe?

Yes puppies can shed the virus post vaccination. If the cough hangs around much longer it might be worth a trip to the vet to make sure it is kennel cough and not something else.

Just make sure you quarantine both your dogs so that they can't pass it on.

Dose your dog up with Active Manuka Honey (20+ or higher is preferable). It is not cheap, but I have found it to be very helpful. It has antibacterial qualities - good for the immune system and soothes and helps heal the throat. Avoid going out and about with your dogs for the reason Woofen has mentioned, but also to keep stress levels to a minimum (excitement is a form of stress, as is learning). My boy had Canine Cough recently. I watched his demeanour, his eyes, his energy levels and listened to the cough. It wasn't a bad dose of CC - the cough lasted for about 3-4 days maximum and wasn't terribly frequent. He recovered quickly and well without the necessity for a Vet visit, the AMH soothing the throat very efficiently. His period of convalescence and 'quarantine' coincided with my convalescence when I came out of hospital, so that worked out conveniently, but I would have kept him in and taken it gently and easily for a period beyond symptoms disappearing.

I'm not a Vet.