Premium Dry Vs Supermarket Food

Thanks, I've found both sites to be very informative but perhaps a little complicated.

What I'm after is something very simple and straight to the point on how supermarket and premium foods differ. Basic info on fillers, preservatives, meat meal vs meat by-products etc.

The person who was interested would not have the time (or patience) to sift through all the other info. And I am not great at explaining.;)

ETA, I vaguely recall a website with a brief explaination on all this, may have been a BARF/raw site or a breeders site?? And now I can't find it for the life of me!

Edited by SecretKei

Guest lavendergirl

What about Hills Science - can't see that mentioned on any of those sites? Does anyone have any opinion?

What about Hills Science - can't see that mentioned on any of those sites? Does anyone have any opinion?

You'll find that most DOLer's have a poor opinion of this food (myself included). It's overpriced and over-rated for what you are actually getting.

Basically everything before the fat/oils ingredient is what the bulk of the food is made up of. The next thing to remember is that'meat being the first component isn't always 'great' as many companies list their meat while still fresh...eg 70% (or whatever it is) water...others weigh/list the meat once dried and a lot lighter!

I wouldn't call Eukanuba Super Premium. Interesting thats how they market it though...

Advance was good for my previous dog (its actually the same company as pedigree) but I think you don't really get what you pay for.

I've had my current dog on both Pedigree and Advance and she did better on Pedigree (less itchy, better poos, better coat etc).

Which goes to show exactly what SecretKei said- its about what works for the individual dog.

Edited by aussielover