Unsupervised Outdoor Living

RiverStar-Aura

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old beagle X JRT (15ish kilos) and a now 14 week old Aussie Terrier puppy (3.5ish kilos). At the moment because of the size difference they have supervised play and if no one is outside, puppy is put in the garage in a play pen and a baby gate is across the door to keep Zeus out (so they can both see each other).

I'm just wondering how I go about introducing supervise-free play because eventually they'll both be outside and won't have access to the garage at all. Obviously I can just dump the 2 of them outside then bugger off to work for the day so would I just start by leaving them outside alone but keep the back door open and stay close by just in case? I've never had the problem of size difference before because when Zeus was little he was already the size of Poochie. Now the sizes are reversed and I'm not sure how it works.

And I'm also thinking of waiting until she's about 6 months minimum before I actually start leaving them both 100% alone just so she's grown a bit more.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Hi all,

I have a 2 year old beagle X JRT (15ish kilos) and a now 14 week old Aussie Terrier puppy (3.5ish kilos). At the moment because of the size difference they have supervised play and if no one is outside, puppy is put in the garage in a play pen and a baby gate is across the door to keep Zeus out (so they can both see each other).

I'm just wondering how I go about introducing supervise-free play because eventually they'll both be outside and won't have access to the garage at all. Obviously I can just dump the 2 of them outside then bugger off to work for the day so would I just start by leaving them outside alone but keep the back door open and stay close by just in case? I've never had the problem of size difference before because when Zeus was little he was already the size of Poochie. Now the sizes are reversed and I'm not sure how it works.

And I'm also thinking of waiting until she's about 6 months minimum before I actually start leaving them both 100% alone just so she's grown a bit more.

Depends on temperament of the older dog, my aussies have half of the yard and the kelpie has the other half, they are fine together and have been from the start but the aussies are a bit too playful for the kelpie now at 13 yr old, she enjoys being left alone on her bed.

I agree, it all depends how gentle Zeus is with Kirah R-A. I would do what you said & watch from a distance to see how they interact with each other. if all seems ok, then start giving short periods of time together unsupervised, until you feel you can trust them alone together all the time.

I just got sent some photos of Jedi playing with his best friend Rusty who is a 6 month old Hungarian Vizla pup...the size difference is so funny, but from what jedi's owner has told me Rusty is so gentle with jedi & they have had no problems. :)

I also received some pics of Bridget (purple collar puppy ) with her best friend Bonnie the Pembroke corgi...once again there is a size difference, but Bridget's owner has had no problems of them being together at all times from day one. :)

How is little Kirah going?....would really love to see some new pics of her. :

A lot depends on how quickly they get used to being with each other. A playful aussie puppy has no "off" button and can irritate an older dog. They also come with fantastic little teeth :eek: that can get them into trouble.

My usual rule of thumb is when they can be in the same area without annoying the crap out of each other and treat the other as an everyday part of the furniture. I've never had problems once they settle together, aussies aren't a stupid dog and soon learn how they fit into the family. Usually at the top of the heap. Six months is a reasonable age to expect calm behaviour from your littlie. Good luck and enjoy as they grow up so quickly.

Hi all,

post-30656-0-77729400-1312954413_thumb.jpg

post-30656-0-20014800-1312954490_thumb.jpg

I think the problem I'm having is that they both want to annoy the s*** out of each other. They both love to wrestle and Zeus is mostly on his back with Kirah jumping all over him with both of them mouthing each other (Kirah delights in putting her mouth down Zeus's throat :eek:). It tends to be rough play and Kirah's a typical Aussie and won't back down (and neither will Zeus!) so I'm just worried that if they're left unsupervised, Zeus might run at her and knock her off the retaining wall (about 1.5 to 2 metres high) in all the excitement.

I was outside lying on a picnic blanket in the sun with them both for 3 hours before her lunch and I was just watching them rough-house and wrestle over sticks of all things. I've given them a stick each but they only want the stick the other one has -- I honestly think it's an excuse to cause trouble! :laugh: And it's funny because it's never really Zeus I have to separate; Kirah's a firecracker and won't quit! And yes, boy are her teeth sharp!!

I'll get some video of them playing tomorrow and see if I can upload it and get some opinions. I'm pretty sure they are both just rough playing because Zeus makes the funniest little puppy play noises of encouragement! :)

I have a lab and a friend has a chi x, they have known each other since the chi was a pup, the little dog often stays with us while its owners are away and i leave them alone together no hassles. My dog is 2,5 and the chi is 10 months. They do play alot but also rest together once they are tired and if my dog doesnt want to play anymore the little 1 gets the message.

A lot depends on how quickly they get used to being with each other. A playful aussie puppy has no "off" button and can irritate an older dog. They also come with fantastic little teeth :eek: that can get them into trouble.

My usual rule of thumb is when they can be in the same area without annoying the crap out of each other and treat the other as an everyday part of the furniture. I've never had problems once they settle together, aussies aren't a stupid dog and soon learn how they fit into the family. Usually at the top of the heap. Six months is a reasonable age to expect calm behaviour from your littlie. Good luck and enjoy as they grow up so quickly.

Hi all,

OT - But OMG that photo of Tigger and Oliver is gorgeous Kinsella!!! Do you think Oliver? could be related to my foster dog Gracie? I have no idea what she is.

post-33610-0-47038200-1313078290_thumb.jpg post-33610-0-91979400-1313078304_thumb.jpg

One thing I should have mentioned is that we work from home so our dogs are never unsupervised. I would probably seperate them if I had to go out. Sorry, not much help re the original post.

I think Gracie is so sweet looking, Burkes. She's a bit long in the leg for an aussie but an absolute treasure just the same.