Help Needed: Looking For Mini Dachshund Pup Breeders

dant

Hi all,

I decided to join this forum because my partner and I have been thinking about adopting a pup for a while now and I think we've narrowed down our choice of canine to the mini dachshund.

We live in a one bedroom apartment in Sydney, across the road from a very large park and surrounded by many others. Our apartment is not huge, but is spacious enough to provide a comfortable home for a small dog. I like to keep active, so I would be walking him every day.

I've been doing my research on the breed and it sounds like a mini dachs would be perfect for us.

I've had a look at the breeder listings on the site, but it doesn't look like there are too many pups around at the moment.

We are looking for a smooth haired chocolate mini dachshund or a smooth haired chocolate dapple mini dachshund, but I haven't seemed to have much luck in finding a breeder. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in Sydney/NSW?

As much research as I've done, you can never know enough, so if anyone has any information that they feel would be beneficial, please share.

Any help would be great.

Anthony

Welcome to DOL! Does the breed actually come in the color chocolate? (I seem to be only finding "red" or brown and tan Doxies when I look for "chocolate" on Google images)

There looks like there's a dapple breeder who has pups at the moment in NSW :) Although if you find the perfect pup insterstate, don't be afraid to enquire!

Dju - yes to chocolate and there used to be cream too (not sure if it was a permitted colour - this is 30+ years ago)

antlewry you could also ask Jim and Lyndall Black of Briarmist - I'm sure theirs are standards but they might be aware of a mini breeder with a litter on the way. Just because there is no current listing does not mean they are not planned.

Good luck

From what I've read/seen, they do come in a chocolate colour - it's a chocolate brown obv :)

Would you be able to steer me towards the dapple breeder in NSW? I couldn't find it on the breeders page...I'm a bit of a newb..

Anthony

Dju - yes to chocolate and there used to be cream too (not sure if it was a permitted colour - this is 30+ years ago)

antlewry you could also ask Jim and Lyndall Black of Briarmist - I'm sure theirs are standards but they might be aware of a mini breeder with a litter on the way. Just because there is no current listing does not mean they are not planned.

Good luck

Thanks for the heads up, Amanda. I'll check it out.

:)

Hey Anthony. Good luck with finding your pup!

One breeder with two dapples, and one with one, both in NSW and on this page: mini dachie pups NSW

Sorry - edit to add that these are silver dapples, but the breeders may have plans for others or know of other dapple breeders. :)

Edited by Alyosha

you do know Dachshunds are not the quietest of breeds? Do you have a body corporate or otherwise that would object to barking?

I have read that they can be quit loud, but as far as I'm aware, this can be fixed with some training. We will be putting him/her through obedience school and when we're home (I work a 9 to 5 and my partner is a student) he/she will have plenty of attention.

Is this an incorrect assumption? The more info the better :)

Hey Anthony. Good luck with finding your pup!

One breeder with two dapples, and one with one, both in NSW and on this page: mini dachie pups NSW

Sorry - edit to add that these are silver dapples, but the breeders may have plans for others or know of other dapple breeders. :)

Thanks for the info :)

you do know Dachshunds are not the quietest of breeds? Do you have a body corporate or otherwise that would object to barking?

I have read that they can be quit loud, but as far as I'm aware, this can be fixed with some training. We will be putting him/her through obedience school and when we're home (I work a 9 to 5 and my partner is a student) he/she will have plenty of attention.

I had a mini and she was not loud or barky. She would alert to strangers (before she went deaf). So they are not ALL noisy.

They are great little dogs. I lost mine a week before her 20th birthday.

I had a mini and she was not loud or barky. She would alert to strangers (before she went deaf). So they are not ALL noisy.

Thanks for the info. I've also read that the long haired minis are quieter than the smooth - do you know if that is true?

My suggestion would be to try and attend the Dachshund club champ show

There is one on

25 August at Erskine Park

and the Novocastrian Dachshund club have there's on

10 sept at Hillsborough

Thanks for that. I work full time, so wouldn't be able to make it as it's on a Thursday and Hillsborough is too far for us to get to :(

Thanks for the info. I've also read that the long haired minis are quieter than the smooth - do you know if that is true?

Mine was a smooth. My friend has LH.:)