Choosing A Dog For Dog Sports?

I would love to hear from others how you decided what dog was the right dog for you?

Did you know what breed you wanted? Or did you get what you needed?

What advice would you give someone looking for a second or third dog to compet with and hopefully learn more in their chosen sport?

How did any existing dogs accept a new dog particularly if the new dog was a totally different kettle of fish?

So many questions :D sorry

I have 2 rescue dogs already and thought I would always get a third. I did go to look at a rescue dog the other day and it was a lovely young dog (re-homed fast). However i wasn't confident it was the dog for me. It made me rethink what I wanted in my next dog. Am I expecting too much for a rescue dog to be what I want when I am not the most experienced dog person. Should I be increasing my chance of getting what I want by getting a puppy?

I am really keen on agility and wanted a dog that might enjoy agility and would be capable hopefully of running at higher levels. I enjoy agility and find myself wanting to learn more. Just want a dog that might enjoy running as much as me.

Anyway, I would like to hear any advice you have to give.

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choose a breed or dog you want to live with.

If (as has happened to me) the dog cannot do the sports you wish to do, you'll still be happy with your choice.

Given all of that, some dog will make better agility prospects than others. Any breeds interest you more than others?

I think I would pick a breed that I liked and wanted, and then just train it to do whatever sports I wanted to do. The type of sport I wanted to do would have to be pretty important to make me get a dog specifically to do that sport with.

Which is actually something I have been thinking about, because I have been getting into flyball and agility lately, and I toyed with the idea of getting a BC because of it. But after a few weeks I realised I'm not really that into BC's, and I would rather get a breed that I have always liked, rather than get one just to do sports with.

And if I pick a dog that I like, and it turns out to not be very good at the sport I like, then oh well. At least I have a pet dog I enjoy living with.

I chose the breed that I wanted- Kelpie because I had one as a kid, and wanted another. It met my needs- being a medium sized short coated dog, with enough drive to do some dog sports with although my first priority was having a pet.

Then I researched different lines, and contacted a breeder that is already involved in the sports I was interested in (agility and obedience) for a suitable pup. And it went from there.

It is important to look at lines as much as breed. There are lines of ANKC registered Kelpies that are completely unsuitable to doing agility and flyball so this is really important.

By going to a good breeder and describing what you want to do with your newest addition, as well as the personalities of your current dogs it should be possible to find a nice match.

That all being said- my friend has three rescue dogs, got them all at aprox 1yr of age and has 3 VERY successful sports dogs. They have all been through foster homes that are experienced in Dog sports, so they knew that the dog had been temperament tested, and had been in care long enough to show their true personality and drive.

It is also important to remember structure wherever you get your pup from. A good book to look at is Structure in Action by Pat Hastings, to ensure you get a dog that is physically capable of doing the tasks you want it to without putting pressure on its body. This goes for a pup or rescue dog that you get- dogs with poor structure get injured and struggle to perform at their peak so it is only fair to make sure that you get a dog that won't suffer.

I have had a mixed reaction to my latest additions- being obnoxious kelpie pups I made sure that the older dogs were not bothered by pups being in their face all the time, so I gave them all time outs behind the baby gate and ensured I was around for all the interactions, so I could teach the pup not to get in the older dogs faces. It really depends on the dogs you already have, and what type of dog you introduce. So long as you are respectful of your older dog desire for time out, and ensure they don't get forgotten adding another member to your pack should be a positive experience. One of my girls ignored them, one boy had mini freak outs so I had to be the one to keep him safe so to speak. Now that they have integrated and everyone knows the rules they are all happy to hang out all the time.

I can speak to this from the reverse perspective - I got 2 rescue kelpies, one turned out to be an great little agility dog, the other is just ok.

The characteristics that makes my girl (the good dog) so easy to train are her natural intense focus on me, disinterest in other dogs and toy obsession. The focus and toy obsession were apparent when we first saw her at the rescue.

These traits let me skip through a lot of the preliminary focus work as she didn't want to run off and play with the other dogs, and will work like crazy to get some fetch or tug at the end. Being able to play at the end keeps up the excitement and interest. My boy on the other hand will only take food rewards and just doesn't have the same intensity.

She also has a better body shape (small, skinny), whereas my boy is a classic black & tan working kelpie, very long and more suited to stalking along the ground in front of sheep than tight turns.

But if they never set foot in another dog sports arena, I would still love them like crazy,and as everyone said this is a vital first consideration. And if you already have a great relationship with your dog as a companion it should make communication in the agility ring so much easier.

Get a breed you can live with :) There are many breeds that can do well at agility.

I agree that picking the right breeder/lines within the breed is just as important. Especially so with the top breeds for the sport as temperament and structure varies.

I know several people who do very well with rescues and crossbreeds - some of the best in the state are working dog crosses.

Weasels

I have a typically marked black and tan and rather tall working Kelpie who is my best agility dog so far :) My smaller skinnier dog has a poor temperament.

Get a breed you can live with :) There are many breeds that can do well at agility.

I agree that picking the right breeder/lines within the breed is just as important. Especially so with the top breeds for the sport as temperament and structure varies.

I know several people who do very well with rescues and crossbreeds - some of the best in the state are working dog crosses.

Weasels

I have a typically marked black and tan and rather tall working Kelpie who is my best agility dog so far :) My smaller skinnier dog has a poor temperament.

From what I remember Kaos has quite nice structure and proportion which is probably more important than actual size. But it does show you need the whole package to really compete. (The problem with my dogs package it the handler lol)

I don't like the buying a dog for sport concept. A dog is not a piece of sporting equipment. Buy a dog that suits you and then see how you go with sports.

You could buy the most on paper perfect dog and it may still not like sports. I've had 4 border collies so far that would never be super competitive at agility!

So what sort of dog are you looking for? size? temperament? How big are your other dogs? How much walking to they get?

I think it is important to consider what you would like to do with the dog when thinking about breed selection. Most people are interested in a range of breeds, and if they are interested in competing in a particular sport, I think it is important that they consider that in their selection.

While agility is open to all breeds, and there are many that can do well, other sports are not open to all breeds, so you would have to pick from breeds eligible to compete.

What if you decide you want to do herding then and get a kelpie that will not herd at all? Are you prepared to keep rehoming dogs until you get your star?

I just don't think it is the right way to go about things for the average owner.

What if you decide you want to do herding then and get a kelpie that will not herd at all? Are you prepared to keep rehoming dogs until you get your star?

I just don't think it is the right way to go about things for the average owner.

But if you want to get into herding there is not point getting a pointer either?? You may as well maximise your chances by getting a kelpie from the right lines...

I do agility for the social aspect so will chose dogs that allow me to do agility, no point getting a dog that won't even give me a chance at doing what I want. i.e. a deer hound

The breeds appropriate for someone who says they would like to do agility (off the top of my head)

Pap

Jack russell

BC (ANKC or short hairs working- sorry don't know the appropriate registry)

Kelpie (ANKS/WKC)

Coolie

CKCS

GSP

Fox Terrier

Sheltie

Border Terrier

OES

Beagle

Poodle- all varieties

Nova Scotia

Whippet

Dally

working ESS

And the list goes on.

The OP has not said they want a gun agility dog that is going to win everything. They have decided they want to do a fun sport with a great social aspect so why not look at breeds/lines that will allow them to do this. Some of these breeds will be easier to pick the sporting lines than others but all would be physically capable. There are breeds that in my opinion should NOT be on that list so why not be upfront and say that they shouldn't take wanting to do dog sports into consideration?

As well as considering how much grooming they want to do, what personality they are looking for etc- there is a big variety in size shape and personalty right there of dogs that do dog sports so going out and trying to increase your chance of getting the right dog is something that should be commended. If it doesn't work out the perhaps look at other sports that might tickle your/their fancy.

Edited by ~Woofen~

Not only do I like a challenge but I'm a sucker for elegant and pretty dogs :o

Thus, I selected a non-traditional breed for obedience and agility (my Dally) and I'm just loving competing with him.

And in a very competitive retrieving scene that, in Victoria anyway, is dominated by working-line Labs (and I had the option for a pup) I went with a working ESS instead. I just love the ears :love::laugh:

At the end of the day, I found wonderful breeders of dogs that I thought would suit not only me but the rest of my household.

If I wanted to do herding with a Kelpie? Easy - do research into WKC Kelpie lines ;) Most have a guarantee that those placed into sheep working homes will work sheep. Of course herding has many facets and different dogs have strengths in different areas - so researching the type you wish to do and the breeds/lines that are most likely to give you a good shot would be my first advice.

I guess I'm lucky in that the type/appearance/structure/temperament I like includes several breeds that are good for various sports.

Weasels

I guess it's just that my boy is a little clumsy then :laugh: He's the better herding dog though. The focus and obsession I mentioned above for my girl are the same characteristics that cause her trouble in herding, as she wants to sprint everywhere and look at the handler too much.

They both do fine at each sport tho (altough i don't compete in agility, we just do it for fun). But I do both sports with both dogs because they enjoy it and it's good excercise & training. I've never met a sheep dog that wouldn't be keen for the 'job' of dog sports.

I think anyone who finds themselves in this situation, may need to face the fact that it is probably them who is the problem, not the dog/s. It would be unusual that a dog bred well to work, didn't, but highly unlikely that this would continue to occur. Same in agility/obed etc, anyone who has a series of dogs that they can't get the best out of (providing this is their aim) needs to look at their training techniques.

but we are not talking about the average owner. We are talking about someone who wants to have a go at being competitive in agility.

I have no problem choosing my dogs for their potential. That said, my measure of success is to get the best out of the dog I have. This is much more important than winning.

I have always had BC's but have shifted the type/ lines I get b/c they are better suited, both physically & mentally. I retired my boys at 8 b/c I didn't feel their bodies were suited to the motivation I was training them with. Trim will be 8 in January & is in her peak physically & mentally.

There are a number if examples in agility right now of people with non typical breeds who are getting close to the best out of the dog they have. it is amazing what research, dedication & hard work can achieve :)

Edited by Vickie

Weasels

I guess it's just that my boy is a little clumsy then :laugh: He's the better herding dog though. The focus and obsession I mentioned above for my girl are the same characteristics that cause her trouble in herding, as she wants to sprint everywhere and look at the handler too much.

They both do fine at each sport tho (altough i don't compete in agility, we just do it for fun). But I do both sports with both dogs because they enjoy it and it's good excercise & training. I've never met a sheep dog that wouldn't be keen for the 'job' of dog sports.

There are several large Kelpies doing quite well in agility atm. Go the 600 jumping Kelpies :laugh: I used to think Kaos was huge for a Kelpie, then a friend of mine got one that ended up being even taller and about 5kg heavier :laugh:

Actually Vickie unless you know Skip we have not enough info to decide on their capabilities. I would say that they aren't super knowledgeable anyhow or they wouldn't be asking this question.

Without more info it would be irresponsible to respond to the question.

And this question seems to be asked a heap lately. Which I personally find disturbing.

Get a dog that suits you and your lifestyle and then go from there. Maybe a daccy isn't a great choice for agility but anything from a Pap to a Rottie may suit.

I know Skip quite well. She is a good trainer & handler who is doing well in agility in spite of some baggage that her dogs carry from a previous life. She hasn't given up on her current dogs or called them unsuitable. She is doing a great job training, with improvement every time I see them.

She will do well with whatever she gets.

Edited by Vickie

I am really keen on agility and wanted a dog that might enjoy agility and would be capable hopefully of running at higher levels. I enjoy agility and find myself wanting to learn more. Just want a dog that might enjoy running as much as me.

There are many, many breeds capable of the above. Running at higher levels is different to what might be termed 'competitive in agility'. If you want a dog that is capable of winning consistently at the highest levels against all comers then your breeds and breeders are much reduced IMO, and your training and handling skills must be far better than average :)

As others have said I would look for breeds I'd like to live with first and then I'd determine the most physical and mentally suitable of the breeds. I have a love of the gundog breeds, espcially the Utility gundogs, most of which are very capable of agility at higher levels. I've also developed a love of Gundog competitions, so for the foreseaable future I'll be sticking with the Gundog breeds, however as much as I like a couple of the heavier built dogs, I am hesitant to get one while I want to do agility. So, although I go with the breeds I like first, I do put consideration into the physical ability.

I really enjoy agility but also wanted a dog that I could show, do gundog work with and had a sound mind and body. I also wanted a medium sized dog. I ended up with a Brittany after listening to advice from people here and in life. My girl is 15 or 16 weeks (bad owner not knowing!) and I couldn't be happier, she is social, confidant, loves to tug and very food focused.

Will she ever be a top tier agility or obedience dog? Maybe not... will I have lots of fun and enjoy her... definitely, I already am!

ETA - I am sure she will be limited by my skill, not her potential... just wanted to make that clear :thumbsup:

Here is a beatiful MACH2 Brittany video, it's in spoilers so not to clog up the thread!

Edited by RallyValley