Hand Raising A Pup And Need Ideas For More Weight Gain?

Wilderblu

Hi all,

I just popped in here to see if anyone had any ideas to get weight on a pup I'm raising. She was born in a litter of 8 and was full of fluid when born which took me along time to clear and she continually rolled away from the litter and mum didn't care too much for her. I kept putting her on mum so she got a fair bit of milk the first 2 days but the rest of the litter was also struggling to put weight on and she only stayed active when I put her on heat in a basket. Anyway I'm now raising her and I sup feed the rest of the litter until they went forward and they are all thriving now.

She was 188gms at birth which is very small for a Border Collie and is still going at 11 days old. Although she drinks well and is strong she's not gaining weight like she should be. Around 4-5gms a day which isn't good enough in my eyes as she's having 3 hourly feeds around the clock. The first week she had 2 hourly feeds around the clock. She is on wombaroo with a smidge of nutrigel in each bottle and drinks a touch more then advised volume for her weight. She had nice bowel and bladder movements too.

I'm a wildlife carer so have raised many tiny animals but this little girl has got me confused! lol

Thanks for any ideas. ;)

I have had pups from time to time like this and I am sorry to say that none have made it past 5 weeks old.

No matter what I have done they just don't grow like they should and die suddenly when you least expect it. Have even had them running, playing and eating solids but half the size of the rest of the litter. I did have one autopsied and it had internal organ problems.

I wish you all the best.

Leanne

I used fresh goats milk on my 202gm male rottweiler puppy. He's now 11 months old. He was 1 of 14 puppies ranging from 202 - 378 grams. I sup feeded the little ones with goats milk which they LOVED. They didn't take to the biolac so they got fresh goats milk with calcium.

I split the puppies into groups so that the little ones could feed first, then the larger ones came in and I sup fed the littlies. Mum didn't have a huge supply of milk either.

my current litter i had a small girl that wasnt gaining weight like the others, I thought she would really pick up once on solids however she didnt 7 was going backwards she was such a little fighter, I had to get her PTS at 5 1/2 weeks...... hope your little one pulls through