Anxiety Wraps

Leema

I have noticed my current foster (who may have separation anxiety) seems to be calmer when she is wearing her dog jacket.

Is there any home made 'recipes' for anxiety wraps that I might be able to experiment with? I would be curious to see if a proper wrap may make some changes to her behaviour.

Thank-you in advance.

Guest lavendergirl

I have tried the "Thundershirt" that seems to get rave reviews on the net but I have not found that it makes any difference. I would try the much cheaper option of a snug fitted t-shirt.

Thanks for that link, and the t-shirt idea.

Not sure if it's going to make a difference, but anything is worth a go. The problem at the moment though is she's just desexed, so I'm going to have to see if it rubs/touches her stitches.

A child's t-shirt or Lycra sun shirt can also be used as a improvised thunder shirt. Pull it tight by using a rubber band to hold the excess or tie a knot. The anxiety wrap is slightly different incorporating the back legs. I understand that some dogs prefer one over the other, just depends on the dog I guess!

I have tried the "Thundershirt" that seems to get rave reviews on the net but I have not found that it makes any difference. I would try the much cheaper option of a snug fitted t-shirt.

Thundershirt worked on both girls here. Putting the shirt on is the only way I can keep one of them still to cut her toenails.

Having said this - a snug t-shirt may work just as well.

I bought a Thundershirt which didn't appear to make any difference either. He does like his jimjams tho' so +1 for the tight t-shirt option!

If the Thundershirt didn't work it's unlikely a tight t-shirt would.

Not say you, but some people think that the Thundershirt should and will work straight away when it's actually a culmative effect.

Guest lavendergirl

I bought a Thundershirt which didn't appear to make any difference either. He does like his jimjams tho' so +1 for the tight t-shirt option!

Not say you, but some people think that the Thundershirt should and will work straight away when it's actually a culmative effect.

I tried it for separation anxiety. He has worn it several times now and still no effect. If I had thought to try a snug T-shirt first I may have saved some money. :(

I tried it for separation anxiety. He has worn it several times now and still no effect. If I had thought to try a snug T-shirt first I may have saved some money. :(

Why don't you just sell it? There are never any guarantees with this kind of thing.

Guest lavendergirl

Why don't you just sell it? There are never any guarantees with this kind of thing.

Actually I think the company does guarantee it - must look into that.

Have checked - there is a 30day guarantee period.

Edited by lavendergirl

late reply..

A behaviourist suggest cutting up a pair of panty-hose.

I've starting putting a Thundershirt on Barkly - it does seem to have an effect. It's not super dramatic - but he does seem to pace around the house less.

I use it on our elderly GSD who has quite severe issues with thunder. At the first sign of her alerting to thunder (she hears it waaaaay before I do), I put the Thundershirt on her and the difference is like night and day. Without it she's a quivering mess, with it she initiates play with our pup or sleeps or whatever she'd normally be doing at that time of day. We do put it on as tight as we can get it and she does resemble a sausage gone wrong but it most definitely works for her.

In

, it was leading up to a thunderstorm and there had already been some decent rumbles. Without the thundershirt, the black GSD would be shaking herself to pieces under our bed. With it on, she's happily trotting around the yard keeping the other three under control.