Pitbull Terriers Won't Be Banned From The Suburbs Of Moreton Bay R

GeckoTree

Pitbull terriers won't be banned from the suburbs of Moreton Bay Regional Council.

Moreton Bay is the only council in southeast Queensland that has not banned the notorious breed.

Since the mauling death of four-year-old Ayen Chol in Melbourne last week, Mayor Allan Sutherland said: ``If the breed proved to be problematic (in Moreton Bay Region) in the future then we would consider banning them.’’

Cr Sutherland said his council followed State Government guidelines, including having the dogs muzzled and on a leash at all times in public, desexed, and kept in a secure escape-proof enclosure with an official restricted dog warning sign at all entrances.

Cr Sutherland said council feared banning the breed would drive it ``underground’’.

``Our concern is that we have more rural and farming areas in our region where it could be harder to monitor breeding,’’ he said.

Cr Sutherland also raised the issue of legal dispute with owners of dogs that appeared to be pit bulls to the untrained eye, but could be a cross-breed or a Staffordshire terrier.

The comments contrast with those of Brisbane Mayor Graham Quirk, who said the pitbull was an extremely dangerous and aggressive breed and had no place in his city.

American pit-bull terriers and cross breeds were banned in Brisbane in 1996, with a concession that existing dogs be allowed the rest of their lives.

``The figures speak for themselves, with no pit bull attacks recorded since the ban was put in place,’’ said Cr Quirk.

According to the council, all of the seven pit bulls that were registered in 2003 are now dead.

An RSPCA spokesman said the society believed in ``punishing the deed, not the breed’’.

``Unfortunately however, we are aware that the very pet owner that shouldn’t have a breed like a pit bull are often attracted to those types of dogs.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/moreton/moreton-bay-regional-council-refuses-to-ban-extremely-dangerous-pitbull-terriers-until-they-prove-to-be-a-problem-mayor-allan-sutherland/story-fn8m0yu3-1226122534372

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitbull terriers won't be banned from the suburbs of Moreton Bay Regional Council.

Moreton Bay is the only council in southeast Queensland that has not banned the notorious breed.

Since the mauling death of four-year-old Ayen Chol in Melbourne last week, Mayor Allan Sutherland said: ``If the breed proved to be problematic (in Moreton Bay Region) in the future then we would consider banning them.’’

Cr Sutherland said his council followed State Government guidelines, including having the dogs muzzled and on a leash at all times in public, desexed, and kept in a secure escape-proof enclosure with an official restricted dog warning sign at all entrances.

Cr Sutherland said council feared banning the breed would drive it ``underground’’.

``Our concern is that we have more rural and farming areas in our region where it could be harder to monitor breeding,’’ he said.

Cr Sutherland also raised the issue of legal dispute with owners of dogs that appeared to be pit bulls to the untrained eye, but could be a cross-breed or a Staffordshire terrier.

The comments contrast with those of Brisbane Mayor Graham Quirk, who said the pitbull was an extremely dangerous and aggressive breed and had no place in his city.

American pit-bull terriers and cross breeds were banned in Brisbane in 1996, with a concession that existing dogs be allowed the rest of their lives.

``The figures speak for themselves, with no pit bull attacks recorded since the ban was put in place,’’ said Cr Quirk.

According to the council, all of the seven pit bulls that were registered in 2003 are now dead.

An RSPCA spokesman said the society believed in ``punishing the deed, not the breed’’.

``Unfortunately however, we are aware that the very pet owner that shouldn’t have a breed like a pit bull are often attracted to those types of dogs.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/moreton/moreton-bay-regional-council-refuses-to-ban-extremely-dangerous-pitbull-terriers-until-they-prove-to-be-a-problem-mayor-allan-sutherland/story-fn8m0yu3-1226122534372

Souonds like a bit of good news for a change

Just seen It now :(

Lets hope It's not being decided from a people vote and that they do seek advice from the experts

Moreton Bay Regional Council has ordered a rethink into their stance on dangerous dogs following a campaign started by the Redcliffe and Bayside Herald. Cr Sutherland called for a review into American pit bull ownership after it was revealed they were the only council in southeast Queensland that has not banned the breed.

``In accordance with Queensland Government legislation, we have some of the most stringent requirements on restricted dogs and their owners, anywhere in the country,`` Cr Sutherland said.

``While we have implemented the strict conditions outlined in the state legislation, our community needs to be satisfied we have got the balance right.

I have directed council officers to review the restriction regime in place to make sure we deliver the best outcomes for the community.''

In an online poll run by the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald over the last two weeks, the community has voted overwhelmingly in favour of banning dangerous dog breeds.

We asked, "Should fighting-dog breeds be banned?" Of more than 1500 votes, almost 75% have said "Yes".

Cr Sutherland said council officers would now be seeking advice from experts in the field including the RSPCA.

The review will look at the law in other council jurisdictions and whether council should toughen its restrictions and will be presented to council in coming weeks.

Our Biting Back campaign was launched on August 17 in response to an increasing number of dog attacks in the Moreton Bay region.

Cr Sutherland had previously refused to ban the breed until they "proved to be problematic", and said the council feared banning the breed would drive it 'underground'.

This report is part of the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald's Biting Back campaign, which launched on August 17 in response to an increasing number of dog attacks in the Moreton Bay region. Nobody should feel unsafe on the streets because of irresponsible pet owners . We highlight the issue, provide advice on handling unrestrained animals, and remind pet owners of their responsibilities. For more reports from the Biting Back campaign, follow the Related Coverage

Guest donatella

I took my dogs for a walk today around the Redland Bay area along the shoreline there. On the way back we passed a house with men all standing round the back and a pit bull looking dog in the background in a caged/fenced area of the yard mauling a toy or bone of something. The men looked like total dero's and the sign on the gate said "beware of dangerous dog". It was clear they had raised this dog to be aggressive, i've never run so fast as it would have eaten my littlies up in one bite. I'm tempted to report this residence as they way the dog was set up and standing around it cheering it on looked sinister but not sure what my rights are as they had a "dangerous dog" sign on the fence. Still, makes me nervous what they use the dog for and how they have been training it. :confused:

I took my dogs for a walk today around the Redland Bay area along the shoreline there. On the way back we passed a house with men all standing round the back and a pit bull looking dog in the background in a caged/fenced area of the yard mauling a toy or bone of something. The men looked like total dero's and the sign on the gate said "beware of dangerous dog". It was clear they had raised this dog to be aggressive, i've never run so fast as it would have eaten my littlies up in one bite. I'm tempted to report this residence as they way the dog was set up and standing around it cheering it on looked sinister but not sure what my rights are as they had a "dangerous dog" sign on the fence. Still, makes me nervous what they use the dog for and how they have been training it. :confused:

1. the dog was in it's own yard

2. it wasn't out mauling a child or dog but rather playing in it's yard

3. you don't know they've raised it to be aggressive

4. lots of people have beware of the dog or dangerous dog signs on their house

How bloody judgemental and at least when you passed, the owners WERE being responsible.

Guest donatella

How bloody judgemental and at least when you passed, the owners WERE being responsible.

the owners were standing around cheering it on as it was mauling something in its fenced off area (they had fenced off a section of the backyard). it looked utterly suspicious, the men looked suspicious and i might just report it to have it checked up on. I'm allowed to feel safe in my neighbourhood.

Wonderful so you're going to report a dog, which Is probably any breed as anything and everything Is looking like a Pit Bull today! for no other reason other than It was playing oh sorry mauling were your words! and Contained In It's OWN back yard!

You have no idea how this dog was raised and yet you're making some pretty serious accusations :mad

the owners were standing around cheering it on as it was mauling something in its fenced off area (they had fenced off a section of the backyard). it looked utterly suspicious, the men looked suspicious and i might just report it to have it checked up on. I'm allowed to feel safe in my neighbourhood.

How judgemental you are Donatella, and you're not going to be attacked by a dog in a cage! it's because of people like you that we're now dealing with a situation where peoples pets are going to be taken away from them!! Reporting this will not make you or anyone else any safer, don't you get it?!

Oh and another thing, since when does a dog maul a bone?? you've been reading too many headlines!! god forbid you should walk past my back yard and watch my dogs "maul" there toys! Does your dog "maul" its bone?

What will you say when you report them? "I'd like to report a dog, contained in its back yard, caged, signed fence, playing with a toy..."

When we are having a game and my dog is playing with a toy I cheer and praise and whoop up the game (and sometimes the men of the household will do this too). My dogs are in my own yard when we do this (and sometimes in their big mesh dog runs). I have large dogs designed to protect against predators like wolves and bears. Are my dogs next on the hit list? According to the above, just by playing in my yard, with my dogs, and having a secure area for them makes it is 'sinister act' :eek:

Edited by espinay2

Guest donatella

If the owners are teaching the dog to be aggressive then it needs to be investigated. I don't see how a group of bogan looking men in hoodies standing around a caged pit bull cheering it on as it was jumping and mauling something tied to the roof is normal. if this already aggressive dog (as indicated on the sign) gets out it HAS potential to hurt or kill others (adults, kids, pets etc). Dogs should be socialized and safe to society. It might be aggressive and caged in it's backyard now, but if it gets out it could be a repeat of the Melbourne toddler killing. Im not saying all put bulls are monsters but when I see a group of sinister looking men possibly training this dog bad habits something needs to be done.

Guest donatella

i dont know about you lot, but when i play with my girl in my own home its not when she's behind a fence or cage, its generally interaction between us both so i can pat her and throw her toys and balls.

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

i dont know about you lot, but when i play with my girl in my own home its not when she's behind a fence or cage, its generally interaction between us both so i can pat her and throw her toys and balls.

That was kind of my point. Restricted breeds are not allowed to be in an open area off leash and uncaged, including their own yard. If the dog was a pitbull it they would have no choice but to have it caged while it plays, not unless they broke the law anyway.

ok, my apologies then, i thought would at least be allowed to roam in their own backyards.