Victorian Breed Standard

Quickasyoucan

Someone called me last night and told me that the vet letter will only help if it says the dog is of pure breed.

I have been wondering about this too. I did ask a few people yesterday, and nobody seems to know at the moment. We will need to find out for sure, and soonish. It is so vague. This is doing my head in! :eek:

I'd recommend calling Peter Walsh, MLA, Minister for Agriculture and Food Security in Victoria. Might be helpful if he got heaps of calls, making it clear that the ambiguities of the legislation he has sponsored put good dog owners into a state of terror. If you put your name on legislation, you should be willing to clarify it and to hear feedback on how it affects ordinary people.

Someone called me last night and told me that the vet letter will only help if it says the dog is of pure breed.

I have been wondering about this too. I did ask a few people yesterday, and nobody seems to know at the moment. We will need to find out for sure, and soonish. It is so vague. This is doing my head in! :eek:

I'd recommend calling Peter Walsh, MLA, Minister for Agriculture and Food Security in Victoria. Might be helpful if he got heaps of calls, making it clear that the ambiguities of the legislation he has sponsored put good dog owners into a state of terror. If you put your name on legislation, you should be willing to clarify it and to hear feedback on how it affects ordinary people.

Was just going to post the same thing Sandgrubber. :)

ETA. And probably a good idea to email them as well, and get the answer in writing, just for future reference. Councils often see things the way that suits them. !

Edited by sumosmum

This thing is so poorly written. The section about having pedigree papers and the Vet Cert.

1. A dog that meets the description of a dog in this Part is an American Pit Bull Terrier; except

a dog in respect of which the owner has one of the following certificates stating that the dog

is an American Staffordshire Terrier

a. a pedigree certificate from the Australian National Kennel Council;

b. a pedigree certificate from a member body of the Australian National Kennel

Council;

c. a pedigree certificate from a national breed council registered with the Australian

National Kennel Council;

d. a certificate signed by a veterinary practitioner stating, or to the effect, that the dog is

of a particular breed.

The opening paragraph leads us to believe that a. b. c. and d. applies to Amstaffs

However, in part d., the wording " a particular breed " , this makes it seem that it is referring to any breed.

ETA, I have emailed The Minister, asking for clarification. I will let you know if/when I get a reply.

Edited by sumosmum

Is this getting any sort of media attention in Victoria? The 'breed standard' I mean.

Also I see that vets can sign off to say what breed a dog is. Are vets going to be willing to do this for people? Will they be put off by the thought of legal action down the track?

I have a mixed breed mutt and if I lived in Victoria, I would be getting a DNA test done at the vets. I know that they are questionable but would the government really challenge it for a dog where the owners obviously take their responsibilities seriously?

I did one for my dog and it came backs as one quarter mastiff but she could quite easily be mistaken for a number of breeds. Vet said she was a 'heinz' variety.

What about the council rangers? Have they expressed their views on this? Some won't want to take peoples family pets away from them.

Very sad day for Victoria.

Don't you believe it ! Too many of them love the power over other peoples lives and will now be worse bullies than they were before. They will take great pleasure in throwing their weight around and taking peoples beloved pets for destruction.

I don't like this at all. My 6yo staffy x boxer was adopted to me by the RSPCA, she has no teeth because of her last home. The Monash council has taken her and she's now a restricted breed which means she's gotta be on leash, muzzled and caged when in my yard. I've proven in court that she's done nothing wrong.

Knowing this council, they'll return her, get me to pay dangerous dog registration, then send the ranger over here to claim and destroy her.

I don't like this at all. My 6yo staffy x boxer was adopted to me by the RSPCA, she has no teeth because of her last home. The Monash council has taken her and she's now a restricted breed which means she's gotta be on leash, muzzled and caged when in my yard. I've proven in court that she's done nothing wrong.

Knowing this council, they'll return her, get me to pay dangerous dog registration, then send the ranger over here to claim and destroy her.

But was she declared a Restricted Breed or a Dangerous Dog? If she is registered as a Restricted Breed, as long as she is housed in the prescribed manner, they are not able to destroy the dog.

If she is declared a Dangerous Dog, the same thing should apply.

Being declared either of these, she gets no second chance, so you can't put a foot wrong. And if she is declared either of these, make sure that when she is in the enclosure that you have it locked well so she can't be let out.

She's a RB now. She is registered as a boxer cross staffy, which is what she is. The council ranger ID'ed her as a pit bull cross.

All of my gates are locked anyhow, and she's never in the yard without me for more then 5minutes at a time anyway.

She's a RB now. She is registered as a boxer cross staffy, which is what she is. The council ranger ID'ed her as a pit bull cross.

All of my gates are locked anyhow, and she's never in the yard without me for more then 5minutes at a time anyway.

Did you appeal through VCAT? That is the procedure, and the council should have advised you of that.

She won't be registered with council as a Boxer x Staffy any more if she has been declared a Restricted Breed. She would be registered as Pitbull x.

Did council give you an info sheet on all the regulations in regards to keeping a Restricted Breed?

The council have told me nothing...they snuck it in the court papers, I own a RST breed dog. I loathe initialisms, I thought it meant I owned a registered breeding dog, which is true, Boyd is entire and registered, but it's for showing, not breeding. He's clearly under another charge though.q