Barf Vegies

Hi all,

After some years i have decided to go back to feeding my dogs BARF and I was wondering what people use these days to prep the vegies? Previously i have used a juicer and used the pulp but that was very time consuming and i no longer have the juicer :)

what do you use to prep the vegies i.e food processor, blender etc and what type of consistency do you end up with?

thanks for your help.

Hi all,

After some years i have decided to go back to feeding my dogs BARF and I was wondering what people use these days to prep the vegies? Previously i have used a juicer and used the pulp but that was very time consuming and i no longer have the juicer :)

what do you use to prep the vegies i.e food processor, blender etc and what type of consistency do you end up with?

thanks for your help.

i have an auger juicer that separates the juice from the pulp so that the pulp is totally dry. I mix them both together with mince that i have either bought or minced myself from chicken frames etc it's a wettish mix but not dripping with juice. I weight out the mix and put it in freezer bags that i flatten then freeze. hope this helps.

Hello wherezaball

I make up a HEAP of vegie slops and freeze it in those little round (Made in Australia) tubs that are in a plastic onion-bag-net-thingie at Crazy Clarks (cheap and last and last).

I cut up a pumpkin, a cabbage (get the one with the most green leaves), 2 or 3 carrots, 2 or 3 apples (no pips) couple eggs with shells, 3 or 4 ladyfinger bananas, some sweet potatoes, about 1/2 cup non-pasteurised apple cider vinegar, 1tsp mustard, couple tsp ginger, parsley, thyme, rosemary, basil (whatever herbs you have) + chia& mustard greens if they are growing in the garden, and 1/2 cup or so of Aldi brand extra virgin olive oil made in Oz ($19.95 4L)

All the vegies are raw.

Chuck handfuls into the food processor, you will need to add water to help it slop up, empty each load into a bucket...you will find it takes a couple of hours...many loads of slops in this batch!

Put in into the little tubs and freeze.

Each meal I mix a dollop of slops with their portion of minced turkey necks or,minced chicken frames/wings. I only mix the slops with the meat at meal times rather than make it all up including the meat.

One of those little tubs last the 3 dogs (fed twice daily) for around 4 days.

I add any extras (like the Prodent stuff and Herb Robert tea) to their meals separately.

Hope this helps :-)

Edited by Boronia

I steam pumpkin and sweet potato , chop up everthing else and throw it all in the food processor, blender works too, mix it all together,it is usually quite sloppy. I freeze in about 100g blocks in small plastic containers, when frozen turn them out into plastic bags. I usually make around enought for a month at a time, take a block out when I get her bones out and defrost in a small container.

bunch of silverbeet

bunch of spinach

bunch of cellery

tub of green alfalfa (if it's cheap)

bag of carrots

a small butternut

4-6 oranges

4-6 apples

bunch of parsley

a few cloves of garlic

tablespoon or two of kelp

around 8 - 10 raw eggs (sometimes more sometimes less)

+ any other vegies / fruit are in the fridge needing to be used up (bananas, sweet pototoes, zucchini, peaches, etc)

Everything in the juicer (juice gets mixed back into pulp) or blender in batches until it's mush, then into a bucket. Stir it all up then freeze in plastic takeaway containers. Takes me about an hour or so to make and lasts months.

I read your ingredients SecretKei and realised I had forgotten to put in my list the spinach, garlic and oranges.

I usually don't put in silver beet as it has oxalates, but on reading a little more about it... http://www.veryediblegardens.com/iveg/vegetable-lore/6-rainbow-chard I think that I had best throw some in as well.

I usually put a sprinkle of kelp on the individual meals like a doggie-yummy-garnish :-D

Edited by Boronia