Had E(bloody)nough

BoStoNmAdNeSs

I can understand your pain. :( Is there perhaps a quiet place you could walk your dogs? :)

Not really the same thing, but I was walking alone one day and off in my own little world when these 2 SWF's came rushing up to the fence barking and scared me. I said f*ck really loudly and looked up and their owner was in the yard. :mad Didn't see her or the dogs when I came back.

I feel your pain - as a BT owner apparently everyone in my neighbourhood thinks it's fine to let their dogs roam around but when they charge my dogs when we're on a walk, it's my fault because I've got an aggressive dog...what the?

In these incidents if you have the address and description of the dog, phone the council and report an attack. Remember this dog at a garage had a go at YOU - what if a kid is walking their dog that same way and isn't quite so capable to fight it off? I really do feel for dogs who have irresponsible owners and I know it's not their fault, but they can't continue to be allowed to terrorise their neighbourhoods.

Report it.

Report it.

I stopped walking my little terriers :eek: as we were constantly harrassed by bigger dogs loose & without supervision. I felt terrible, but their safety was more important than their exercise - fortunately (before you go crook!!) they were by then elderly and no longer really needing/enjoying their walks. In their twilight years we live in a property that's big enough for them to trip around the yard and that's enough for them.

I do walk my bigger dogs (Salukis & Kelpie) but get sick and tired of the rushes/attacks by other dogs - off-lead and on-lead - whose owners sing out "Don't worry, s/he's friendly!". Great - but my dogs now tend to go on the offensive because they've been rushed once too often by dogs who aren't "don't worry, s/he's friendly"!!! :mad:mad

I have reported every rush/attack I have ever witnessed. My council ranger knows me well!! :thumbsup:

Sonia

Yep, all the idiot dog owners can congratulate themselves, owners with dogs on leads walking through the suburbs have been duly intimidated. Nice work, for dog ownership and breed representation - not. My territory for walking my dogs on leads is continually reduced by people that can't understand the value of keeping their dogs contained.

Nice work!

As someone who has been the owner of the dog who has rushed and bitten I would say the best thing to do is complain to the council.

Long story as short as possible our dogs were in our front yard with the gate open (SUPERVISED!!! We never have them out free if they are unsupervised). We live on acreage and people often cycle up our road for recreation. Two of the dogs went to chase a bike and were immediately called back, one stopped but the GSD didnt. By the time the OH caught up she was heading home and the bike was gone. The next day our GSD was seized by the council, and we were informed she had bitten him. This had never happened before, she was very well trained but as she aged her general disposition was going south and we had been discussing what we should do with her about it (as obedience training was no longer enough). The bite was bad but not serious. We chose to have the dog was euthanized as a result, and of course we were fined.

Honestly I am glad he reported us. Otherwise we would never had known she had digressed to biting and the next time it could have been much more severe, or a child :( I was horrified she'd bitten in the first place. We made sure he was informed the dog was PTS so he would no longer fear cycling down our road. I think by bringing the council into the equation it takes all fear and risk of personal harm to you and your dog away, it holds the owner of the dog duly responsible and allows them to make a decision on how they will handle their dog in the future. Being confronted by an authority makes them realise it is a SERIOUS issue and not some nag with a dog who needs to harden up or not walk past their garage!

We were dealt with very well by the council and were not spoken to badly because our dog had done wrong, but if we had've been arrogant I think it would have been a different story - so often the punishment will fit the crime and the attitude behind it.

I think you should still report the Rotty, if not for you but the next person who walks their dog past that shop - they might not be as lucky!

I am sorry for your loss. Dogs can develop bad habits I know. Our own family labrador chased me once when riding by on a bike, didn't realize it was me, but quickly did when I shouted his name. Easy solution, good containing fence, keep your dogs in, keep them safe. Dogs will learn bad habits, chase cars, will want to chase bikes, natural instinct. Very sad your dog was PTS, hope others can learn from our experience and provide escape-proof fences to keep their dogs safe. That is the best way, your dog was just exhibiting natural behaviour.

I did report the dog that attacked my dog. It was an 'attack to kill' episode too not just a bit of snarling. My dog had quite significant bite wounds.

The ranger said that it was up to me how he should proceed. Up to me if I wanted the owner charged and taken to court. He also informed me that the owner's husband had just died the previous week.

I felt unable to insist on charges. I had never seen the dog out before and I just hope that the whole thing gave them a big enough fright to be more careful. I did feel totally let down by the system. I didn't think I should have to decide how the council dealt with the matter.

I can't chance that dog being out again though which is why I stopped walking here. Next door keep a guard dog that has got out once and there are Maremmas down the road that guard chickens that have got out.

Agree totally with your post, people should have control of their dogs,

The only suggestion is, you may need to pay more attention to your suroundings as well to better protect your dog, just like anything there are always going to be tossers and loosers who do the wrong thing.

The responciblity falls on us to protect our dogs, I'd suggest paying a little more attention to your suroundings, If you listening to headphones while your walking turn it down so you can hear dogs approaching, that way you are better prpared to defend your dog rather then reacting to a dog alreayd latched on.

I know what you mean and frankly it is part of the reason I have Dogues as my chosen breed. When I was a teenager I had a small dog and was petrified while walking him. Glad you rang the owner and gave him what for. Sorry your girl is now traumatized. :( Pretty sure these idiots have no clue as to the repercussions of their irresponsibility! :mad