K9pro Loose Leash Walking Dlp

Kitteh

JoeK - Steve is very quick to recognise the limitations of email to the extent where he wouldn't let me start the TID package with my youngster until he had come over and had a chance to assess her in person. He didn't want to provide me with something that "may" work until he had got an accurate assessment of the dog. I am sure if he feels a potential clients problem would be better dealt with by them seeing somebody else then he will refer them on. I have seen him post in various threads here recommending people see xyz trainer so don't think if somebody contacted him privately he would be any different.

Edited by ness

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the Steve having plenty of the email training clients, is nice little earning for him cutting out local trainer for the job. No trainer in the world having ability to properly work out behavior on the dog from email chatting but if it fixes the dog and Steve fall off his wallet is good.

Joe

Now where have I heard this before...

From JoeK using one of his other names ;)

Well, I have done both. I went through the vast majority of the trainers in my local area, and struggled with their methods and paid a lot of money. I started out with DLP LLW with some success, but felt a one on one with Steve would get me to the next level. AND Steve does say this, when you are first in contact with him. So I drove 2 hours to have a consult with Steve and found it to be totally worth it. If I were further away where this was not possible I probably would've persisted with more videos. I did send him one video and his feedback on that was enough for me to realise I needed the one on one. If you can do a one on one with Steve, I highly recommend it, but if you can't, his DLP and feedback to videos are also invaluable.

Geez JoeK - for someone who professes to have experience in the handling of high-drive dogs I am extremely disappointed in your reaction on this thread. As others have noted, WA is not oozing with great trainers for "problem" dogs and if you have followed my posts you will know that I am not an inexperienced handler of GSD's. My choices of personal training were either food (Skye is not food driven in a reactive state) or to shut her down completely with a choke chain which I did not want to do. I did my homework and the results I am having with Steve's DLP far outweigh any personal training I had received. Shouldn't all training be about what what works for your dog? I have an ecstatically happy dog who loves her training and I owe that to Steve Courtney so get rid of the green-eyed monster and accept that it is the success of the clients/dogs that make GREAT trainers.

Dearest Skye I have seen you postings on the dog and behavior you telling us is high drive is not. High drive is not going after other dogs is nonesense, your dog behavior for the email training is fear biter scared of other dogs is why she react. Stable dogs of high drive dont care about other dogs they not threat to them unless the other dog try to attack. Is what the Schutzhund BH test is for, if you cant tie the dog to the fence post and walk away without dog reacting on dogs walking past, the dog is faulty temperament in the mother country for the Shepherd Dog for Germany, reactive dog is struck off the stud book is useless animal, not high drive protection dog. Is only fools who cant train protection dog properly who be thinking reactive dog is good thing, stable temperament is what we needing in good dog for protection training, not a dog who want to bite everybody for no reason or chase after other dogs on aggression is wrong temperament for the good Shepherd Dog.

If you having head strong Shepherd Dog, domiminat with trait of social aggression you only get with male dog 99.9% on the time and you correct hard on a prong is good chance he come back at the handler for fight becuase he see this correction like alpha roll is very danger advice on dogs like this for email training, the Steve knowing female show dog would be one in a million to have social aggression and is safe to recommend the prong and how to use on email training, but my point as I say on other posting the concept for email training for my opinion should not be priority more than hands on trainer for real is what I say, is compromise, may work, maybe not but is needed care for this type of training becuase many things can go wrong that trainer on the job would be seeing properly and avoiding.

I hear many time a lady Kathy her name is best in WA for reactive dog, you ring her for advice first Skye, maybe she even better on the result training in person than the Steve email training is what I think of?

Joe

Joe

Dont know why you have to bring prongs and protection training into a thread started by someone who wanted to know about a distance LLW program?

I Beleive that Skye had stated that she is happy with the program and is seeing results. Why would she need to go to another trainer if this one is working for her?

Anyway results speak for themselves, I as well as others have used these distance programs and have achieved fantastic results. Speaks for itself yes??

Oh and Joe no one has said that seeing a trainer one on one wouldn't be the preferred option. Sometimes some of us dont have access to local trainers (I for one live an hour away from the nearest accessible trainer) and sometimes Steves on line help is far superior to available trainers.

Joke: Of course the Steve having plenty of the email training clients, is nice little earning for him cutting out local trainer for the job.

K9: I guess the same can be said for the trainers that make DVDs then hey? People buy them all over the world and cut out local trainers?

I guess that you haven't noted the referrals page on my site with recommended trainers in every major city.

Joke: No trainer in the world having ability to properly work out behavior on the dog from email

K9: Except you of course who diagnoses just about every dog on here as fear aggressive and weak nerved, from as little as one post.

L: Don't know what your problem is mate!

K9: I would hazard a guess at passive aggressive tenancies with multiple personality disorder. Anyone who has this many log ins needs help.

Joke: The point I make here is said a thousand time before on this board too is true that you cant assess a dog properly on the email chat, there would not be a competence trainer in the world who say you can

K9: no where is this program designed to address behavioral problems, it is a program to train a dog to walk on a loose leash. It just so happens it and more support helped with Skyes reactivity.

Joke: If the Steve think is email training is better than trainer of his standard on the job for real hes pulling your leg, of course his email training is better than useless trainer on the job, but my point is on my opnion if asking what is best email training or training in person I say training in person is always best decisoin and email training is comnpromise.

K9: Some people send me video's taken under lights at 3aqm, not too many trainers are available at that hour of the person is a shift worker. Some people cant make the scheduled times trainers are available, some trainers are crap, some people have no trainers anywhere near them.

No where is it stated or do I feel that a trainer in person of the same ability as me is not as good as email, but then again, you know that from the emails we have exchanged when you were looking for help...

Joke: Dearest Skye I have seen you postings on the dog and behavior you telling us is high drive is not.

K9: This wouldnt be an internet diagnosis would it?

Joke: High drive is not going after other dogs is nonsense, your dog behavior for the email training is fear biter scared of other dogs is why she react.

K9: Another internet diagnosis...

Joke: Stable dogs of high drive dont care about other dogs

K9: if their drives are satisfied through other measures...

Joke: I hear many time a lady Kathy her name is best in WA for reactive dog, you ring her for advice first Skye, maybe she even better on the result training in person than the Steve email training is what I think of?

K9: lol so you know nothing of Kathy Koppelis Mcleod, but you would rather Skye go see her even though I am providing results? lol Funny. In fact the trainers that use methods you criticize all of the time would welcome Kathy. BTW I know Kathy and refer to her too.

But then again I also know you...

It is quite obvious you are on a mission here, like I told you on the other forum, everyone knows who you are and your million log ins, so drop the fake accent and either post as yourself of shut up.

If the Steve think is email training is better than trainer of his standard on the job for real hes pulling your leg

Does he say that?

No, in fact he says the opposite.

At the end of the day, our DLPs are available as one of many services that we offer, and if someone feels they would be suitable for a DLP and Steve feels it would work for them that's their choice. It is irrelevant whether or not there are trainers available in the client's area if they want to do a DLP that's their decision.

We have many clients who have successfully completed DLPs, many of them after trying other trainers and methods first and finding that, for whatever reason, using a program designed by Steve (even by distance) was the most beneficial option for them.

There is nothing stopping local trainers from providing the same service, and Steve often refers people to trainers in their area.

ETA: K9 beat me to it! SNAP :laugh:

Edited by huski

Dont know why you have to bring prongs and protection training into a thread started by someone who wanted to know about a distance LLW program?

clap.gif

Thanks laeral. i want to read responses from people who have done these programmes. The responses so far have been very encouraging.

What I don't want to see is this thread being hijacked by someone who wants to discuss the efficacy of K9Pro's programmes, without having done it him/herself.

If you want to troll, go do it somewhere else JoeK.

So, having said that, keep the responses coming. They've been great :)

Well, I have done both. I went through the vast majority of the trainers in my local area, and struggled with their methods and paid a lot of money. I started out with DLP LLW with some success, but felt a one on one with Steve would get me to the next level. AND Steve does say this, when you are first in contact with him. So I drove 2 hours to have a consult with Steve and found it to be totally worth it. If I were further away where this was not possible I probably would've persisted with more videos. I did send him one video and his feedback on that was enough for me to realise I needed the one on one. If you can do a one on one with Steve, I highly recommend it, but if you can't, his DLP and feedback to videos are also invaluable.

I talk on the concept for email training comparing with the hands on is my thinking doesnt matter if is the Steve, Jimmy or Mary to me is not the point of who offer this is the concept of email training compare hands on, yes? Where the Steve come in the discussion is about his offering of email training is what the post is about on the topic we talk on I give opninion and what I say if somebody needs a trainer with option to do email training with Steve or hands on with another good trainer my advice for them would be take the good trainer hands on for best results before email training becuase is not about if Steve is good enough to give right advice, is about if the handler is good enough to tell the right story and show the right video for the Steve to know the full situation on the dog is what worry me on the email only training compared with training assessing the dog for real.

Joe

Of course the Steve having plenty of the email training clients, is nice little earning for him cutting out local trainer for the job. No trainer in the world having ability to properly work out behavior on the dog from email chatting but if it fixes the dog and Steve fall off his wallet is good.

Joe

Dearest Skye I have seen you postings on the dog and behavior you telling us is high drive is not. High drive is not going after other dogs is nonesense, your dog behavior for the email training is fear biter scared of other dogs is why she react. Stable dogs of high drive dont care about other dogs they not threat to them unless the other dog try to attack. Is what the Schutzhund BH test is for, if you cant tie the dog to the fence post and walk away without dog reacting on dogs walking past, the dog is faulty temperament in the mother country for the Shepherd Dog for Germany, reactive dog is struck off the stud book is useless animal, not high drive protection dog. Is only fools who cant train protection dog properly who be thinking reactive dog is good thing, stable temperament is what we needing in good dog for protection training, not a dog who want to bite everybody for no reason or chase after other dogs on aggression is wrong temperament for the good Shepherd Dog.

If you having head strong Shepherd Dog, domiminat with trait of social aggression you only get with male dog 99.9% on the time and you correct hard on a prong is good chance he come back at the handler for fight becuase he see this correction like alpha roll is very danger advice on dogs like this for email training, the Steve knowing female show dog would be one in a million to have social aggression and is safe to recommend the prong and how to use on email training, but my point as I say on other posting the concept for email training for my opinion should not be priority more than hands on trainer for real is what I say, is compromise, may work, maybe not but is needed care for this type of training becuase many things can go wrong that trainer on the job would be seeing properly and avoiding.

I hear many time a lady Kathy her name is best in WA for reactive dog, you ring her for advice first Skye, maybe she even better on the result training in person than the Steve email training is what I think of?

Joe

Joe

Funny how you seem to have an issue with Steve making an assessment through emails and yet you are not shy in making an assessment based on what Skye decides to share on an internet forum.

Perhaps rather then using this thread as yet another way to criticize Steve, you could actually try emailing him and asking him how his methods work. I find it sad that a genuine thread by the OP wanting to seek advice/ information has become yet another place where you try and discredit Steve. Jealousy is a curse.

I think K9pro provide an excellent, affordable service.

I'd definitely recommend their services :)

I saw Steve for a behavioural issue but LLW was also somehting we addressed. The LLW program I recieved was excellent and I quickly saw results.

When we walked in for the first consult I could barely hold back my dog and I only had some sheets and a notebook in my hand :laugh:

A few months later at the K9pro workshop I walked my dog down the same path- although this time I had her crate and my backpack as well! My dog walked nicely beside me, despite there being several other dogs in the same area.

So it definitely works!!!

I talk on the concept for email training comparing with the hands on is my thinking doesnt matter if is the Steve, Jimmy or Mary to me is not the point of who offer this is the concept of email training compare hands on, yes? Where the Steve come in the discussion is about his offering of email training is what the post is about on the topic we talk on I give opninion and what I say if somebody needs a trainer with option to do email training with Steve or hands on with another good trainer my advice for them would be take the good trainer hands on for best results before email training becuase is not about if Steve is good enough to give right advice, is about if the handler is good enough to tell the right story and show the right video for the Steve to know the full situation on the dog is what worry me on the email only training compared with training assessing the dog for real.

Joe

We are tallking about a loose leash walking program for goodness sake!!!

The k9pro website clearly says any behavoiural issue needs to be assessed in person.

Many, many people have been happy with the results they have seen doing a DLP, and many people have previously seen other trainers in person who couldn't (or wouldn't) help them.

In some cases I actually think the email is better than hiring a private trainer because often you only get one lesson, you are not required to follow up- and if you have a problem you often have to pay a $$$ phone call fee or pay for another visit.

At least with email and the way k9 pro packages are designed you actually HAVE to keep the trainer informed of your progress (often with video evidence).

And there is no extra charge whether you send 1 or 1000 emails.

JoeK - thank you for your personal assessment of my dog (via this forum of course) but you are way off mark! I would also like to thank you for your personal referral to Kathy - unfortunately I cannot take up this recommendation as I already have a GREAT trainer whose EMAIL advice I value greatly and the results speak for themselves. Have a great day!!!!

Not wanting to de-rail the topic but... I do take offence to the often stated comment that WA doesn't have great trainers for problem dogs and the way 'positive training' is used as a put down. I would hazard a guess that people are asking clubs for advise and not forking out for some very excellent trainers we have here.

I am sure that Steve's program is excellent also and this comment is not a reflection of his training or methods.

Not wanting to de-rail the topic but... I do take offence to the often stated comment that WA doesn't have great trainers for problem dogs and the way 'positive training' is used as a put down. I would hazard a guess that people are asking clubs for advise and not forking out for some very excellent trainers we have here.

I am sure that Steve's program is excellent also and this comment is not a reflection of his training or methods.

WA would be the first place I would be heading if I jumped on a plane with my dog ;)

I think it's reasonable for people to say they'd rather see a particular "genre" of trainer. I don't know if that's necessarily the same as putting down the other styles (although that does occur sometimes, I agree).

I think this often results from people who have seen a bad trainer that trained with a particular style, got disillusioned at getting no results, and want to now try something completely different. I think people sometimes don't realise that the lack of results are often due to deficiencies of the trainer, rather than necessarily resulting from the methods those trainers used.

I've personally wasted money on both bad positive, and bad traditional type, trainers in the past. And from my experiences, if I ever employ a professional trainer again, I would personally rather pay to see a trainer that is educated in the use of a wide range of methods and tools, not just one style. But I'd also rather be referred to a really good trainer, of any lineage, than an average trainer in my preferred style - really good trainers are in too short supply to be too fussy! :laugh: And results are results.

Edited by Staranais

No where in my postings have I ever stated that WA does not have great trainers. Del at Alert Dog Training was great and we had several one-on-one training sessions but was too far away to make it a regular thing. I just happened to contact Steve out of frustration and due to referrals from other DOL members and find that his program is working fantastically for Skye (and me) so have no need to widen my search in WA. I have even flown to Sydney for one of Steve's workshops and intend taking Skye early in the new year unless we can organise a workshop in WA. :thumbsup: So, as you can see, I am totally committed to Steve's program and if I wasn't getting results I would not be prepared to outlay my time, money and effort for no return. I am doing positive training as in "positive" for our situation and have stated many times that we should use whatever method works on your dog - there is no one size fits all.