Advice Please! Can't See Vet Until Monday!

Terujo

I hope someone can give me some advice. I can't get into the vet until Monday after work.

Over a year ago my 8 year old Boxer had a small pimple size lump ( looked much bigger until they shaved it). I had it biopsied and the results came back clear as a bell. It was just a tisuue lump- nothing in it.

Anyway I am assuming that the two are connected because now the biggest sore is where the lump was.

Over the past week it has become open and weeping, lumpy and bulging. Over the past few days it has triped in size. I did notice that his kennel mate was licking it so we separated them. He has also been licking it but will stop when we tell him to. I am thinking that it is possible the licking has aggravated it to cause the spreading. This would also be explained by a fungal infection. I have been putting betadine solution on it.

None of our other dogs have anything like it, not even the one he usually sleeps with. He doesn't mix with any other dogs apart from ours even on walks, so it doesn't appear to be anything contagious.

I have never seen anything like this before and was hoping someone here might have some ideas especially what to do or not do.

It has entered my head that it could be REALLY bad ( not saying the C-word out loud yet though), but don't know what that looks like to start with either.

I'm really worried about my boy, if you have any suggestions please send them my way.

post-22411-0-23778200-1316246706_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terujo

My older GSD had something similar just above his tail on his rump ... it started out with a little bite from an insect but then he started chewing on it. Because the hair was thick in that area it became moist and the irritation increased - like a hot spot.

I shave the area and then bathed it in warm salty water, patted dry and then sprayed with cetrigen (to keep the flys away because he was outside).

This helped a bit until I could get him in to the vets where he was given some cream. By the time the hair started growing back the wounds were all cleared up.

Edited by Tilly

It looks nasty. poor old fella . Pity you have to wait until Monday to get it checked ...

do you have an elizabethan collar or large bucket you can put over his head to stop him licking?I think it needs to be kept dry & very clean ...

I was going to recommend betadine as a stop-gap ..but you are using it .. how many times a day?

Hope all goes well on Monday ....

It looks nasty. poor old fella . Pity you have to wait until Monday to get it checked ...

do you have an elizabethan collar or large bucket you can put over his head to stop him licking?I think it needs to be kept dry & very clean ...

I was going to recommend betadine as a stop-gap ..but you are using it .. how many times a day?

Hope all goes well on Monday ....

Thanks Persephone, yeah it does doesn't it. It actually looks worse in person :-(...more inflamed and weepy. There's a smaller one just at the side too, not sure if the photos show it.

I'm usuing the betadine about 3 times a day.....maybe I should do so more often? We do have an Elizabethan collar but he is actually being very good now. We have inside and if he goes to look at it we tell him and he stops. I prefer to have him comfortable- but could use the collar at night I guess!

Any Bactoban in the house? For hotspots i wash with cholrohex and then apply Bactoban or Advantan fatty ointment

No none of those either- but will definetly be getting these after this. Never having anything happen like this before I am very unprepared. I will be stocked up for if this happens again, but mainly for the coming weeks as well. Thanks Guys I knew i'd get help here.

Any Bactoban in the house? For hotspots i wash with cholrohex and then apply Bactoban or Advantan fatty ointment

I found some bactroban! It was prescribed for my daughter 12 months ago. Is there an animal alternative, or is this what you use?

I have now washed and applied betadine this morning , applied a gauaze and wrapped him up in rip rap. He seems happier now that the collar is off for the moment :-)

Ok so we have just got home from the vet. It seems that it is some kind of infected tissue ( probably a cyst). It's not a hot spot as we thought as it was a number of wounds that were all connected under the skin. It was like a huge tissue lump that had erupted in areas. He is on a strong course of antibiotics and cortisone for two weeks. After that, if it has not subsided significantly then he will need surgery to take off the layer of lumopy tissue which is a section of about 15cm by 15cm. She hasn't ruled out cancer, but think it is more likely to be infected cysts.

Thanks for your help. It was helpful to put my mind as ease just to be able to try a couple of things. Made me feel useful to the poor boy.

eta- Oh and he doesn't need the cone of shame collar anymore either, so he's happy about that!!!

Edited by Terujo