Diet For Bullmastiff Puppy

*bianca*

Hi guys

I have a 4 month old bullmastiff who we are currently feeding Advance puppy large breed. He was fed this by his breeder and we have continued feeding it however his poo seems very sloppy. He was being fed the advance along with chicken, lamb or beef mince and the vet recommended feed him only the biscuits to see if anything changed but it seems to be the same maybe even a little sloppier. So the next thing we are thinking is a change of dry food? Perhaps the advance just doesnt agree with his stomach.. so the question is what is another good kibble for a giant breed? I dont want to keep changing his diet I know that its not good for him. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks :D

Try Proplan large breed. Feeding instructions according to size.

Its not cheap but one of the best foods available.

Then when you have changed puppy over(do this slowly) I would introduce a part raw/cooked diet as well.

My Bullmastiffs get raw chicken mince, cooked lambs offal and rice, yoghurt, cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, sardines or any left overs we have(within reason).

I DO NOT and never will feed bones to my dogs. I will also never feed pigs ears or the like either.

My Bullmastiffs get Nylabone chewbies to help with tartar build up on their teeth, with which we have never had a problem.

As my Bullmastiffs are now mature adults I feed a lower cost dog kibble(two brands actually) but do not compromise on a growing puppy which needs a good quality protein meal.

My lab had sloppy poos on advance.

I would recommend trying another brand.

Bones such as lamb flaps are good for hardening up the poo as well, although I wouldn't overdo it with a large/giant breed pup.

I really like Royal Canin, my dog is currently on the allergy diet and doing really well.

Thanks for the help

They recommend Eagle Pack on the S.A Bullmastiff Club site. Think I will need to look around and see whats available to us and go from there.

Im pretty sure most of the vets here sell Royal Canin along with Advance and Hills.

He is itchy on his belly area and scratches like mad when you touch it, hes spends a bit of time on the grass so im thinking it might just be that

We have an oatmeal shampoo that we got when finishing puppy pre school has anyone found that it helps? It looks a little red so I will keep an eye on it and ask the vet. Could the food be causing that?

Edited by *bianca*

I personally won't feed Advance to any of my bullmastiffs. Try the Pro Plan large breed puppy keep you protein levels low ie no higher than 28%.

Also when feeding raw meats pick one and stick with it for a couple weeks sudden changes in mince can cause issues as well.

We did that with the mince and stuck to the chicken with the advance dry food, but there was no difference.I cut the mince out completely to see if it would make a difference and it hasnt. So Im putting it down to the dry food. I dont want to keep changing what im feeding him because I know that can upset his stomach, it will be good to get on top of it and find a dry food that suits him. I'll do some looking around tomorrow Im sure we will be able to get Pro Plan here somewhere.

I've sent you a PM.

oooh secret squiral dog food recomendation....

Just FYI, no need to post that you sent them a a PM they get an email notification or if they have turned that off it notifys them when they login to the forum.

I feed my Cane Corso (4 months also) Purina pro plan 2 a day just biscuits and for dinner he gets it with some mince and he is fine...

Pro Plan seems to be popular I was reading the feeding guide and it said for dogs up to 59kg so that confused me a bit seeing as will probably be 60kg plus. Everyone has such different opinions its good to see what other people think though. Thanks for the input

Hi Bianca

We also have a 4 month old Bullmastiff. When we got him he was being fed on Black hawk Holistic (I think that is what it is called) but we live up here in Darwin and although we have vets and pet shops none of them stock it :mad So we decided to put him on something that we know we could get all the time and something that was not too expensive as well. We feed him on Supercoat for Large breed (also our breeder's recommendation!!) We give him minced chicken carcus from Leonards chicken and we also give him Frozen Turkey necks which you can get from Woolworths where they keep the chicken necks. He loves them and will sit for ages just knawing on it which is good for his teeth and gums as well. :thumbsup: His poos are very healthy. We have done alot of research on different kibbles and you must check the ingredients. If the first ingredient is a meat or meat by-product then it is a good one if it is a wheat or some sort of rice or sorghum don't bother. This could also be where his itchy belly is coming from. Our boy who is definately healthy looking is doing just fine and is not costing us a fortune to feed. I also have Cavaliers and used to feed them on Royal Canin and to be honest I don't think it is just that great. I have changed their diet to Optimum kibble and chicken necks and their coats don't look any different to being fed on a "Premium" kibble. In my opinion you are only paying for the name!!! The odd tin of sardines in oil (just the homebrand ones from Woolies is good) is also good for their coat it keeps them nice and glossy. Hope this helps. By the way if you don't mind me asking where did your Bullmastiff come from?

Cheers

We have done alot of research on different kibbles and you must check the ingredients. If the first ingredient is a meat or meat by-product then it is a good one if it is a wheat or some sort of rice or sorghum don't bother.

While this is true to some extent. There is a lot of manipulation that goes on to get the product labels to read just like that. For example I think it was a Canidae product that lots of people swear by because the first thing that appears is a protein, but if you read along there are two or three different types of potato in there, as well as rice etc. In effect, this food could be mainly potato and rice based with a smaller amount of meat, but for labelling purposes they have split the potato ingredients up so that the protein appears first. It happens a lot and is an easy way to make their product appear better than another product that doesn't manipulate their ingredient list as much.

meat byproducts are not meat - they are the heads, feet, feathers, intestines including the contents. It's an extremely cheap way to increase the overall protein content but it's not actually quality digestible protein that contributes to your dogs overall health.

meat byproducts are not meat - they are the heads, feet, feathers, intestines including the contents. It's an extremely cheap way to increase the overall protein content but it's not actually quality digestible protein that contributes to your dogs overall health.

I would still rather feed my dogs all of that than wheat or rice or sorghum which is a cause for itchy skin!!! JMO!!!

I'm going to correct something mentioned earlier, it's best to have names protiens in the ingredients list.

Instead of meat or meat by products which could be almost anything look for Beef or Lamb.

Instead of poultry meal go for the named protien chicken meal.

If you're in metro Adelaide area Pro Plan is readily stocked at Pet Stock, you'll find the Eagle Pack range there too, including the hollistic select, but sometimes they don't have very much in stock.

I'm going to try Eagle Pack Holistic Select for large/giant breed puppies and see how he goes on that

I have got my six month old Newfoundland on this and he is doing well, I do also add something different each day. Like an egg yolk, sardines, tuna, mince, natural yoghurt it's just for a bit of taste really.He also gets a few added vitamins and I don't have any trouble with runny poo's, I hope you find what works for you

Edited by mish13

I'm going to correct something mentioned earlier, it's best to have names protiens in the ingredients list.

Instead of meat or meat by products which could be almost anything look for Beef or Lamb.

Instead of poultry meal go for the named protien chicken meal.

Ewww really? Chicken meal normally contains rendered necks mainly, containing both the meat and bone and ground to a pulp, whereas chicken by-product meal normally (in PREMIUM FOODS) contains viscera, liver and some heart tissue, white meat, dark meat - bones removed - and ground and cooked. Check the ash content of your chosen food to see how much bone meal is in it. Especially important in large breed dogs! Whilst 'by-product' probably doesn't sound appealing to humans, what is wrong with it in a dog food? Note the number of people around feeding chicken carcasses anyway...