Hunter Groups Call For End To Puppy Farming

DMA

i get what you were saying before about care now.

because its the care that is important and if there is a lack of care then these sorts of poeple need to be fully accountable to the law. i encompass also breeding blindly as the care issue too.

not knowing whether the dogs in your care have any hidden recessive genes and just putting any dog to any dog. i know of some reg ANKC breeders who don't test, refuse to but then charge heaps for stud fees and when you ask has this dog been tested for x disease the answer is always no i don't need to test! so why are you charging a lot of money, because of the bloodlines that happens to have x amount of champions in it. so what. not intersted in how many champions the bloodlines has or whether they are BIS winners or not. some breeders can't see past this what im intersted in is the health of that bloodline.

i've always said these kinds of breeders that refuse to be responsible by not testing but still charging a bunch of money are no better than a backyard breeder and they have no right to think they are better in my eyes. until they prove it by taking the appropriate steps to ensure the puppies they produce are the healthiest they can produce.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

because its the care that is important and if there is a lack of care then these sorts of poeple need to be fully accountable to the law. i encompass also breeding blindly as the care issue too.

not knowing whether the dogs in your care have any hidden recessive genes and just putting any dog to any dog. i know of some reg ANKC breeders who don't test, refuse to but then charge heaps for stud fees and when you ask has this dog been tested for x disease the answer is always no i don't need to test! so why are you charging a lot of money, because of the bloodlines that happens to have x amount of champions in it. so what. not intersted in how many champions the bloodlines has or whether they are BIS winners or not. some breeders can't see past this what im intersted in is the health of that bloodline.

i've always said these kinds of breeders that refuse to be responsible by not testing but still charging a bunch of money are no better than a backyard breeder and they have no right to think they are better in my eyes. until they prove it by taking the appropriate steps to ensure the puppies they produce are the healthiest they can produce.

These people are fully accountable to the law but take a look at what it is they are using to determine a puppy farmer - its not just whether you care for your dogs or whether you follow the law.

its about not keeping them inside on satin pillows and only breeding according to what they have decided is best for the species. Its about how many you own with some magical number being too many. Its about where you advertise them or who you sell them to - its even about what info you give your puppy buyers on diet.

It's actually easier to have a large farm set up and breed according to the law, then it is to be a small time ANKC registered breeder.

The farm ticks all the boxes in terms of kennels, size, drainage etc, they will mass vaccinate once a year, provide and individual feed bowl etc

Those that "really " care and do what they think is best for their animals, might want to raise the pups in the house, choose a different vaccination schedule or not vaccinate at all after a certain age and make choices that aren't strictly in keeping with the madnatory codes.

These people are fully accountable to the law but take a look at what it is they are using to determine a puppy farmer - its not just whether you care for your dogs or whether you follow the law.

its about not keeping them inside on satin pillows and only breeding according to what they have decided is best for the species. Its about how many you own with some magical number being too many. Its about where you advertise them or who you sell them to - its even about what info you give your puppy buyers on diet.

i guess us cooking for our dogs every evening is somehow not within legislation. i once had a discussion with a very good friend in WA who is also a breeder and she asked me what do i feed my dogs, i told her and according to some people it is not acceptable to feed dogs anything other than commercial pet food and dry food. her dogs are on dry food their whole lives becasue she told me dry food and commercial food already has all the vitamins in it that dogs need. what is wrong with adding your own multivitamins and knowing whats in the food, commercial food you don't know if you are feeding road kill to your dogs, i've grown up in a farming community and they know what they put in petfood and its not pretty, oaffle and all the bits that humans can't eat. yuck, i'd rather feed my dogs chicken breast, steak and chicken mince mixed with all different kinds of food the same as we eat then i know what we are all eating at least. :eek:

like someone said the animal people are going on about dogs being fed scraps. our old aussie terrier cross got fed scraps and cuppa tea her whole life. in those days it was unheard of to get dogs vaccinated particularly in the country and farm dogs it was never done down where we lived anyway. that dog lived to 17 and was never sick a day in her whole life. :( and the dogs of today get raised the same way on the same food.

It's actually easier to have a large farm set up and breed according to the law, then it is to be a small time ANKC registered breeder.

The farm ticks all the boxes in terms of kennels, size, drainage etc, they will mass vaccinate once a year, provide and individual feed bowl etc

Those that "really " care and do what they think is best for their animals, might want to raise the pups in the house, choose a different vaccination schedule or not vaccinate at all after a certain age and make choices that aren't strictly in keeping with the madnatory codes.

got a friend that went to the council to get a permit for 6 dogs and i think 2 temporary dogs just incase she has 2 puppies from litters she wants to run on. by law she and her hubbby had to construct an elaborate kennel structure to house all the dogs, but they never go in there they are all in the house, they have a room dedicated entirely to the dogs it is tiled and beautiful. those dogs get treated like human babies they get everything and if i died i'd want to come back as one of my friends dogs!

Pav Lova" Quote: It's actually easier to have a large farm set up and breed according to the law, then it is to be a small time ANKC registered breeder.

And boy oh boy isn't that exactly right