Different State Rules

Crazy Daisy

From a judges point of view - you can only choose ONE winner. So while you might think the judge did not like your dog.......that may not be true! You can only choose ONE BOB, ONE BIG, etc etc, so someone else has to be a looser. You can sometimes have to make many nice dogs loosers on the day. Does not mean you dont like them, or consider them "rubbish". That's just an old saying.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou, it's just a saying I have heard a lot, now I know not to listen to it.

The 1-4 system sounds fine to me, I just think the other dogs should get a chance to be "shown off" for as long as possible... I mean the judge considered them worthy to be BOB winners, why shouldn't they get to stay out there and be admired by onlookers? Your dog doesn't have to stand to attention for hours on end, a lot of judges ask people to 'relax' their dogs while they go along the line up 1 at a time.

At Royals, and even country shows to some extent, there are non-exhibitors who watch and to me it's just nice to know that in their minds they are looking at my dog in the group line up thinking it must be nice, even if the judge doesn't put it up that day.

I know I should be less concerned with what other people think, I'm sure that is something that will come with time. I have shown other peoples dogs for years but I have only had a dog of my own for a bit over a year now.

Always remember my favourite line "One day a rooster, next day a feather duster" which can also be applied in reverse.

Relax and have fun... we aren't playing for sheep stations :thumbsup:

I like that one! My boy got BIG 2 weeks in a row, then the folowing week couldn't crack the breed so I do know what it's like.

We used the phrase "Chocolates to boiled lollies".

Thankyou, it's just a saying I have heard a lot, now I know not to listen to it.

The 1-4 system sounds fine to me, I just think the other dogs should get a chance to be "shown off" for as long as possible... I mean the judge considered them worthy to be BOB winners, why shouldn't they get to stay out there and be admired by onlookers? Your dog doesn't have to stand to attention for hours on end, a lot of judges ask people to 'relax' their dogs while they go along the line up 1 at a time.

At Royals, and even country shows to some extent, there are non-exhibitors who watch and to me it's just nice to know that in their minds they are looking at my dog in the group line up thinking it must be nice, even if the judge doesn't put it up that day.

I know I should be less concerned with what other people think, I'm sure that is something that will come with time. I have shown other peoples dogs for years but I have only had a dog of my own for a bit over a year now.

I'm sure most exhibitors would rather their dogs got a chance to get back to their crates and relax (not to mention relaxing themselves, with a glass of something nice, at the end of a long show!) than stand out in the ring, in all weather, if the judge isn't going to look at them anyway. My boy, for example, wilts in the heat and becomes completely miserable. His comfort is more important to me than any admiring looks anyone standing outside, in the shade and in comfort, may bother to throw his way. (And most of the time, I'm sure the comments aren't so admiring anyway.)

The point of showing is about the judge's opinion, not the opinion of the onlookers (or so I've heard...:laugh:). I'd rather my dog was resting in his comfy, padded crate than standing out, needlessly, in the ring when I knew full well the judge wasn't interested. BOB is nice, but sometimes it's as far as you go, and you know as soon as breed judging is over that you're not going any further.

The only time it sucks to be dismissed from the ring is when the judge doesn't bother looking down the line but picks the winner before you barely get into the ring to set up. Again, the judge knows what they want...but that's the only time I find it rude to be on the receiving end of it - and even then, it's more about feeling like you got your money out of your entry than being upset at losing. Nothing worse than feeling like you've paid to be ignored.

Sorry for causing a stir in here, was not my intention.

Don't stress, it's no biggie.

I was more sad that you thought that the other exhibitors opinions meant so much. You can learn a lot from listening to experienced showies, but also remember that it is a competitive environment, not everyone is going to play nice or be able to see through the potential fringies in their mind to be able to give an honest opinion.

Edited by Rottshowgirl

Thanks Rottshowgirl. I have just been told that in Tassie the rules have changed and judges indeed are allowed to dismiss the rest of the group after they have made their cut. Yep, that egg doesn't taste very nice, sorry guys.