I Need A Bowl For A Messy Eater....

Bluefairy

Hi,

I have a 14mth old male Pug. I have had him since last Friday. He is a special needs boy, and has problems with co-ordination and balance.

My OH made him a raised platform for his food and water, but its too high and because Archie gets most of the food outside the bowl it goes round the back of the platform and is hard for Archie to retrieve it. So the bowls are back on the floor....

But what I need to know, is there any type of food bowl I can buy that will help him eat the food without making it go everywhere?

Archie seems to try and slide the food up the back of the bowl to get it in his mouth, making of course the food fall on the floor that misses the mouth. He isn't a pig with his food and it eats it nicely he's just a messy eater.

I have heard of a slanted bowl that helps in this situation, but I can't find one anywhere.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to the type of bowl that might help Archie?

Thanks

Lynn

No advice sorry, but i have a very similar dilemma. My girl has a large under bite and as she is eating, she tends to flick all the food up the side of the bowl with her nose. I tend to just leave her be but she often looses a lot of her meal because the other dog finishes first and has time to shovel up all her spillage.

This might be suitable for you...Neater Feeders

Try a "puppy flying saucer dish "

The food will push up into the middle and back into his mouth. You'd need the large

http://www.thevetshed.com.au/buy/puppy-saucer-pan-stainless-steel-28cm-11-inch/PUPPYSP28?

EA Pets Providore have a better photo

http://www.petsprovidore.com.au/Puppy-Dish-Flying-Saucer-Stainless-Steel.html

Edited by Pav Lova

Some of those designs, the deep dish ones, I think would present problems for any flat face dog.

I quite like Pav Lova's doughnut puppy feeder suggestion. To see if it will work, try feeding him in a large ring cake pan, if that lessens the mess then the puppy feeder (which has a sloping center) would be even better and worth the investment.

If your hubby is handy, he could make a homemade trial version of that neater feeder by taking pvc pipe the same diameter as Archie's bowl and cutting a U-shape access wide enough for his head - you would then slip the shaped pipe into his bowl so that he has a rear surface to pin the food against.

Good luck!

This message is for Archie.

:wave: Hi little mate. So glad you've found a lovely home. :thumbsup:

(His breeder used to bring him to the vet clinic I nurse at). Gorgeous little fella.

Sounds like he has a very caring new family. :thumbsup:

Archie says hi back :thumbsup:

Yes Archie is very special, we love him to bits here. He is as spoilt as our two cats are. He has his own crate for bedtime, where he hides his treats and saves them up for his treat feast (my daughter found them in the bed), but once they had been discovered he decided it was time to eat them all :rofl: He has his own blue polar fleece bed in the lounge for when he wants to curl up. The girls have tried him on the lounge, but he won't stop licking their faces :rofl: He also feels that he has the right to play with the cats toys as well as his own, his favourite is a toy when he bites on it, it squeaks....so we get a lot of squeaking here :laugh:

He is lord of the manor here :heart:

Lynn