How To Stop An Approaching Dog In Its Tracks

corvus

I carry acsqueky ball, I sqeak it then throw it perpendicular to me. I have only used this once when a friendly dog ran over the road to say hello Timothy. Given that it wasn't trained, it just carried on playing with the NAND we got away. Lost the isqeak though

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually a firm "f**k off" works, but one time it didn't so I asked a dog trainer friend what I should do in future. He said to carry one of those pop up umbrellas and open it in the approaching dog's face.

fabulous idea! I have a long umbrella with a long pokey rod on the end for the 'just in case' moments; i'll be using it for walkies now :)

Usually a firm "f**k off" works, but one time it didn't so I asked a dog trainer friend what I should do in future. He said to carry one of those pop up umbrellas and open it in the approaching dog's face.

fabulous idea! I have a long umbrella with a long pokey rod on the end for the 'just in case' moments; i'll be using it for walkies now :)

Yeah, it's a good idea, but as long as we're picking on good ideas, I am a wee bit wary of deliberately frightening a dog I may meet again. I grew up with a dog who I imagine would have reacted to an unexpected umbrella in the face with extreme aggression. A few times strangers did things to her that frightened her and she became obsessed with taking down everything that she associated with the scare. Umbrellas, air horns, cap guns, shouting, kicking are all things that work on most dogs, but have the potential to make things worse if you're unlucky and do it to the wrong dog. I guess that's a risk you assess for yourself. I have no problem admitting I'm biased.

I have actually done it once Corvus, and while it didn't exaclty work the way tis described it did result in a better outcome.

One of the offlead dogs we came across not long after I adopted Delta, was barking at her (from a distance of about 5 metres) Delta was stressing out and I wanted to make sure he didn't come closer so I threw a few treats for him.

Well it was obviously a catalyst event in this dog's life :laugh:

He has never, ever barked at us since, he greets us tail wagging. He does come closer than he used to and he does follow us around, but that doesn't bother us as much as his loud and annoying barking.

If the approaching dog isn't aggressive, your yelling and body language could cause a fight. My girl reads my reactions to know if something is friend or foe. I often want to yl obscenities but I always smile and talk cheerfully when I tell someone to get their f()$&&, dog now. If you have a reactive dog and you react, you may well be contributing to their problem ( not said with judgement, I have been a negative influence on Lucy too)

I have actually done it once Corvus, and while it didn't exaclty work the way tis described it did result in a better outcome.

One of the offlead dogs we came across not long after I adopted Delta, was barking at her (from a distance of about 5 metres) Delta was stressing out and I wanted to make sure he didn't come closer so I threw a few treats for him.

Well it was obviously a catalyst event in this dog's life :laugh:

He has never, ever barked at us since, he greets us tail wagging. He does come closer than he used to and he does follow us around, but that doesn't bother us as much as his loud and annoying barking.

Isn't that funny? I was thinking this morning about the dog that used to live next door to us when I was a kid. A little terrier thing that barked and dived at our ankles every time we walked up or down our driveway. We were all scared of him. Eventually I announced I was going to make friends with him and then maybe he wouldn't try to bite me all the time. It actually worked like a charm. Like your experience, he changed his attitude completely and stopped threatening us. I didn't even use food, just called him in a happy voice and gushed over him. The only problem was he expected a love-in every time we went past, which got awkward if we were late for the bus and running. Still, I could live with it. :)

I always thought that must have been a bit of a fluke for it to be so effective. I'm surprised to hear someone else has had a similar experience. Food probably helps!

Thanks, megan. Not something I often think of with my cheerfully oblivious spitzes. ;)