How Do You Stop A Dog From Pacing?

Stitch

I am trying to train for the show ring however I can't get him out of the habit of pacing.

I have tried rewarding for gaiting properly but he isn't responding as he rarely walks properly and I certainly can't get him to do so.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Try gaiting him next to a bike. Go reasonably fast so he is striding out, but not breaking into a canter (or whatever you call it in a dog!!) worked me for me in the past :)

Oh and not sure if you have done clicker trianing, but when he is trotting at the pace you want, click and throw a treat forward for him to get. you can then put it on cue - say "go" for example when he takes off in a trot, C/T then get him to trot for a little longer then C/T and longer C/T and so on.

Edited by OSoSwift

Teach a hand touch...once you have it consistent and on cue you can ask for a high hand touch just as you step off...most times this will put the dog in an animated trot. As in all trained behaviours make sure you split and not lump. In other words do a hand touch and one or two steps...big party! Randomly reward at one step, three steps, five steps, two steps etc etc.