Another Convert...

westiemum

Just got back from the dog park (Conyngham Street for any Adelaideans reading this thread - its huge!) - and its a gorgeous spring day in Adelaide.

I was there an hour and couldn't believe it - it was chock a block full of purebreeds - Welsh springer spaniel, a cocker, dalmatian, old english sheepdog (what a superb boofer), an overweight french bulldog,gorgeous schnauzer puppy, bc, a couple of cavs, a couple of retrievers, a couple of labs, my three westies... and one solitary spaniel x poodle...

Anyway long story short... I started talking to the lady with the spaniel x poodle cross (never one to lose an opportunity!) When I explained my two boys were both puppy farm rescues, she rather sheepishly said her dog came from a puppy farm but she 'didn't know it at the time'. Turns out the dog came from Freedom Kennels, was incredibly ill when they first got him and cost her a fortune in vet bills. I gently said 'well you won't do that again will you' and something along the lines that her chances of winning the low shedding genetic lottery twice were not high. She said 'never again' while wistfully looking at a park full of beautiful purebreeds... I watched her for a while and she seemed to be looking at each of the other dogs in turn... I took the opportunity of suggesting if in the future she really wanted a crossbreed then to consider a rescue service or the pound - she agreed.

For me it was also another opportunity to look at one of these crosses at very close range, side by side with a number of purebreeds - it was ratty, 'brainless', poor coat, gangly looking thing :mad - although the owner said he was 'a lovely dog' - and he certainly appeared to be nice natured :) . And yes I know I'm biased but the difference was stark... and the crossbreed owner could see it... and I continue to scratch my head and wonder how people choose these dogs with all the myths that surround them...

It also got me thinking - the fight for purebreeds is not lost... if every DOLer made a point of doing one or two 'dog park conversions' a year, then I think we could turn the tide... :)

And in case anyone is wondering I was unfailing polite! (Even though I felt like asking how she could be so stupid!) :D

Edited by westiemum

Yep Kia agreed - and rehabbing Mac (a former Freedom Kennels breeding westie) has cost a fortune as well - I estimate his first foster family spent at least 1k on him in the 6 weeks they had him and I've spent between 13 - 15k over the last almost 6 years. And I'd do it all again in a heart beat. And yes Freedom Kennels is no more - thank goodness.

I wish they would shut that kennel(cough) down. So many of the pups coming from there have health or other issues. Been too many owners left with huge vet bills.

Is Freedom still operating? I know that the owner was killed in a car accident a few yrs back. I thought it had pretty much or altogether closed. I hope so?

Yes it has closed DBT - a couple of years ago - and I believe the RSPCA took the remaining breeding dogs (in late 2009?) - but there seems to be remnant of a website rising from the ashes - although it hasn't changed in the last almost 12 months so hopefully it will never see the light of day again...

Is Freedom still operating? I know that the owner was killed in a car accident a few yrs back. I thought it had pretty much or altogether closed. I hope so?

I wish they would shut that kennel(cough) down. So many of the pups coming from there have health or other issues. Been too many owners left with huge vet bills.

How and WHY do they get away with this then???!!!

Missymoo I'm not sure what you mean? Before FK shut down, they had a notorious reputation for selling puppies with problems over the net? Kia didn't know FK had closed. Can you calrify please?

How and WHY do they get away with this then???!!!

Last year I saw a very badly structured lab at the offlead park who was limping big time.

I asked the owner how old thinking 9 or 10 - turns out he was 2yo and had needed a hip replacement and had elbow problems. At the time my then spritely 13.5yo arthritic lab was moving more fluidly.

I asked about the breeder and mentioned something like 'that's pretty poor of them'. She said they got him from a petshop, an "Ahhh, that explains it" was all that was needed - they said they'd go to a reg breeder next time.

For me it was also another opportunity to look at one of these crosses at very close range, side by side with a number of purebreeds - it was ratty, 'brainless', poor coat, gangly looking thing :mad - although the owner said he was 'a lovely dog' - and he certainly appeared to be nice natured :) . And yes I know I'm biased but the difference was stark... and the crossbreed owner could see it... and I continue to scratch my head and wonder how people choose these dogs with all the myths that surround them...

Westie, you've said something very close to what a vet once remarked to me. I used to take our p/b tibbies to his vet surgery....& he really loved and admired them, for all the characteristics that had been bred into them, by registered breeders who were passionate about the breed.

He said that it frustrated him, how so many people were bringing 'designed' oodles to him & those poor little dogs often had so much against them. He could not understand why anyone would buy in that direction, when fine examples of purebreds exist (& other smalll purebreeds as well as tibbies).

Like, that very day, our tibbie girl had palled up with the loveliest little p/b poodle that was in the surgery, too. Another example, that made him shake his head....why people would go past such delightful creatures.

And it's not those dear little crossbreeds' fault. As spyke's pointed out, they are so likely to turn up in rescue, where they deserve a loving home, like any dog. But it's why people breed & sell & buy those little mites, in the first place.

Edited by mita

Hi Mita - your vet is a smart man! And yes these poor little doggies who wind up in rescue all deserve homes as much as any p/b. I'm only against the mass breeding of these genetically unsound dogs who as adults look so odd :) .

Westie, you've said something very close to what a vet once remarked to me. I used to take our p/b tibbies to his vet surgery....& he really loved and admired them, for all the characteristics that had been bred into them, by registered breeders who were passionate about the breed.

He said that it frustrated him, how so many people were bringing 'designed' oodles to him & those poor little dogs often had so much against them. He could not understand why anyone would buy in that direction, when fine examples of purebreds exist (& other smalll purebreeds as well as tibbies).

Like, that very day, our tibbie girl had palled up with the loveliest little p/b poodle that was in the surgery, too. Another example, that made him shake his head....why people would go past such delightful creatures.

And it's not those dear little crossbreeds' fault. As spyke's pointed out, they are so likely to turn up in rescue, where they deserve a loving home, like any dog. But it's why people breed & sell & buy those little mites, in the first place.