What To Feed A 4 Mth Old Pug

Kiwipete

We have a lovely little 4mth Old pug and man could she eat if we let her OMG....

Anyway we have cat food up high on a couple of ottomans but soon it will have to go higher, we have to feed our cranky Maltese outside and Gracie inside... This pup would eat itself to death if you let her I am sure...

Anyway at 4 mths she is getting one wheatbix and Puppy Milk in the morning, in the evening a lump of Beef Mince and a bit over 1/3 cup of eukanuba Puppy food... Are we on the right track?

She doesn't look fat but stocky (mind you thats what i call myself) she runs around like a mad thing... So really all I want to hear that we are doing fine or maybe some feeding suggestions....

Thank you all

I would scrap the weetbix and puppy milk, it's not necessary and won't be giving her the nutrients she needs. I would go with either just dry, or dry and meat mix. It's hard to know exact quantities as all dogs are different, just adjust until you get the condition which is right for her.

Congrats on you new puppy. I am sure you will be given lots of advice but I just wanted to say - ditch the weetbix.

Your right about Pugs being little piggies, they sure love their tucker.

I personally feed my dogs a raw diet including Barf and bones - they have dry food while growing, I don't use much dry food - the only dry I use is holistic organic.

The diet you are feeding is ok, could do with a little tweek but not bad.

Pop in to the Pug thread in the Breed Sub Forums, you will get lots of comments and advice about feeding all sorts of ways :D .

Hi

This is what I feed my pug babies and the diet they are sent home with.

BREAKFAST: ¼ - ½ cup of moistened Advance Puppy Rehydratable

¼ - ½ cup of mince meat

Mixed with warmed puppy milk

** wean off lunch at approx, 4- 6 months of age and give dog biscuit instead. (If desired)

LUNCH: ¼ - ½ cup of moistened Advance Puppy Rehydratable and ¼ cup can puppy food or small pieces of cut up dog roll –eg “Prime ” puppy roll

TEA: ¼ - ½ cup of moistened Advance Puppy Rehydratable

¼ - ½ cup of mince meat

¼ - ½ cup mixed vegies (minced in blender) with rice or pasta

Oil to mix

** These amounts are a guide only – food needs to decrease/increase to suit the growing requirements of your dog.**

** Puppy Rehydratable may be substituted for another good quality puppy food such as Advance Growth or Super Coat Puppy when your puppy is older.**

** If you find your puppy doesn’t eat the whole amount cut it back slightly and increase accordingly**

** Natural Yoghurt can be added to pup’s food (teaspoon) to help with upset tummies**

** Give Apple Cider Vinegar (1/2 – 1 tablespoon depending on size) once or twice weekly. It is good for blood circulation and joints and muscles.

SNACKS: Dog biscuits –Super coat mini

Medium Carrot

Apple – or other fruit not grapes –start young and

let develop taste

BONES: Are good for teeth cleaning and jaw exercise. Marrowbones cut in half provide enjoyment for dogs. Never give your Pug a bone small enough for it to swallow- bones the size of lamb leg bones or beef legs and ribs are ideal. Discard old bones that may splinter. NEVER GIVE COOKED BONES.

VARIETY: Sardines, eggs (cooked or just the yolk), grated cheese, left overs ect, in small amounts can be added to your dog’s meal to give it a bit of variety.

SUPPLEMENTS: 1/8 teaspoon of KELP/SEAWEED or LIVAMOL

1/8 teaspoon of raw Wheat germ

1/8 teaspoon of Ascorbic Acid (VIT C)

1/8 teaspoon Flaxseed meal or oil

(Increase amounts to ¼ teaspoon by 12 months)

Liquid Chlorophyll is added to the pup’s water.

These are natural supplements we use just to be sure our dogs are not missing anything.