Planned Caesarians - Costing

Leema

For others who have had planned caesarians, how much did it cost you?

I have a vet just quote me $977 and to me that seems a little bit excessive considering it's 'planned' (for a c-section on a Sunday night with a stressed bitch and puppies, it would seem reasonable).

I am not really too fussed, and I'm quite happy to pay that. But I was just a bit surprised.

I have a vet just quote me $977 and to me that seems a little bit excessive considering it's 'planned' (for a c-section on a Sunday night with a stressed bitch and puppies, it would seem reasonable).

I am not really too fussed, and I'm quite happy to pay that. But I was just a bit surprised.

I had an unplanned C-section a few years back for a aussie but it was nowhere near that sort of price. It was during normal surgery hours.

I would be very happy with that considering that I have paid $2100 and $2200 for after hours em c sections - and $1100 for an em c section within office hours.

Edited by Andisa

I think our vets are about $700 to $1000. It varies with the size of the bitch and how many puppies there are. A small bitch with a singleton will use less anaesthetic and have a much faster surgery than a large breed with 10-12 puppies.

That's a huge variation in costings.

I expect emergencies to be more because of the extra stress for everyone, but for a planned one.

I've had some messages regarding some well respected vets in my area to use, that aren't $977, so I'll be doing some shopping today. It's really not a matter of price - to be honest, the $977 quote came from a vet that I was just asking because I was there and had little serious intention to use them.

My emergency caesar for my BC bitch was $800 that was about 2 1/2 years ago though. They said that if I was to have an elective next time it would have been around $600 (but we have a very reasonable vet). Funny thing was though a couple of weeks later we had an emergency caesar for a cow that they had to come out for and they only charged $720!!