Reconcile/prozac For Dog - How Lethal Is This Drug?

Mollyrulz

It is now 1 week since I started her on Reconcile and can see a subtle difference in that she is less "hyper" and now allows me to lie her on her side while I trim the hair off her feet!

We had rain (not storm) 2 nights ago and previously, she would be quite stressed (not the same level when there is HEAVY RAIN and/or STORM)but this time, she was pacing up & down BUT not to the point of not settling which she did after 30 mins of pacing...

Looks like a good reaction to the drug ...will keep everyone updated once I notice more changes.

I will go to RSPCA in Springwood this weekend to check out the thundershirt... I know they don't have stock but will go and see what it's like etc before I order online :-)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mollyrulz - how did she go in the storms last night? Did you notice any reduction in her anxiety?

She walked last night (around 7.30-8pm), then i could see that storm coming ... but I had my Ducted aircond which helps as the whole house is closed up if you know what I mean. She woke around 9.30pm and started to look around and moved to the sliding door to "assess" (if you can call it that) the atmosphere!

Then when she heard the first rumblings of thunder, she started to shake and pant and paced. I quickly took a large towel and wrapped her in it (didn't get time in the weekend to pop into RSPCA Superstore) and held her tight.

She started to wriggle and wanted to get out of it but i held on tight and then when the really loud thunder started, she was quite distressed. When I took off the towel after 20 mins when thunder had reduced, she started to scratch again!!!

Bundeled in towel again and asked my daughter to hold her in her bed with doona over her. Didn't work and ended up in my son's bedroom. i have to ask him how long it took to settle her...

My kids are in their mid-20's and Molly is "supposedly" my daughter's but ended up closer to me (what's new - parents alwasy end up with their kids pets!). LOL..

i think it will take a month at least for the medication to start working - currently she has gone off her food and inly eats half of what she normally eats in the morning and treast don't work as well. I noticed around 6pm in the evenings, she starts to shake and once I have given her a chicken wing, the shaking stops! hmmmmm....might need to ask Vet?

Guest lavendergirl

Mollyrulz - how did she go in the storms last night? Did you notice any reduction in her anxiety?

She walked last night (around 7.30-8pm), then i could see that storm coming ... but I had my Ducted aircond which helps as the whole house is closed up if you know what I mean. She woke around 9.30pm and started to look around and moved to the sliding door to "assess" (if you can call it that) the atmosphere!

Then when she heard the first rumblings of thunder, she started to shake and pant and paced. I quickly took a large towel and wrapped her in it (didn't get time in the weekend to pop into RSPCA Superstore) and held her tight.

She started to wriggle and wanted to get out of it but i held on tight and then when the really loud thunder started, she was quite distressed. When I took off the towel after 20 mins when thunder had reduced, she started to scratch again!!!

Bundeled in towel again and asked my daughter to hold her in her bed with doona over her. Didn't work and ended up in my son's bedroom. i have to ask him how long it took to settle her...

My kids are in their mid-20's and Molly is "supposedly" my daughter's but ended up closer to me (what's new - parents alwasy end up with their kids pets!). LOL..

i think it will take a month at least for the medication to start working - currently she has gone off her food and inly eats half of what she normally eats in the morning and treast don't work as well. I noticed around 6pm in the evenings, she starts to shake and once I have given her a chicken wing, the shaking stops! hmmmmm....might need to ask Vet?

Sorry to hear that she is having those side effects - poor girl. Maybe a further chat to the vet is on order. They sometimes prescribe a sedative to be used that works straight away while waiting for the other to kick in over a few weeks. Hope things improve.

She may need smaller meals more often whilst on the medication. Good luck. Sounds like a thunder shirt may at least in reducing the amount of damage she can do to herself.

Cuddling her is really reinforcing the behaviour so hopefully putting the shirt on and then leaving her be will be beneficial.

This thread reminded me to watch the rescue dogs during the storm last night and I had a few pacers and slight whines but nothing over the top and nothing that got any attention from me.

Will monitor how she goes as she has started to shake at night even though there is no storm and seems a bit restless at night b'cos I can hear her pacing and last night, she scratched at my door.

She has always been an "independent" (if you can use that word) girl and she has never wanted to sleep in any of our rooms unless there is a storm and then she scratches at my door.

Last night around 2.15am, she scrateched and I let her into my room.... abotu half an hour later, she scratcehd to be let out. then i heard her pacing up & down.

I think at the end of ONE month, I will take her back to the Vet and assess how long she intends to have her on this drug. Initially she mentioned for "rest of her life" but I am hearing what everyone is saying and I don't think that will happen!

Will keep everyone posted...

Guest lavendergirl

Will monitor how she goes as she has started to shake at night even though there is no storm and seems a bit restless at night b'cos I can hear her pacing and last night, she scratched at my door.

She has always been an "independent" (if you can use that word) girl and she has never wanted to sleep in any of our rooms unless there is a storm and then she scratches at my door.

Last night around 2.15am, she scrateched and I let her into my room.... abotu half an hour later, she scratcehd to be let out. then i heard her pacing up & down.

I think at the end of ONE month, I will take her back to the Vet and assess how long she intends to have her on this drug. Initially she mentioned for "rest of her life" but I am hearing what everyone is saying and I don't think that will happen!

Those side effects are worrisome. I think I would be pushing the vet to prescribe something like valium for use "as needed" - i.e. when a storm is expected - rather than the Reconcile if things don't improve after two weeks. Up to you though.

Those side effects are worrisome. I think I would be pushing the vet to prescribe something like valium for use "as needed" - i.e. when a storm is expected - rather than the Reconcile if things don't improve after two weeks. Up to you though.

Have rung Vet and she is not in but she will ring me back tomorrow arvo (girl just told me that) as i have said that i am concerned.... I ahve also noticed that she "STARES" at the ceiling, shaking and looking blankly for 15 mins without moving from that spot...her eyes would look like it's closing as she is obviously sleeepy and then she would change direction and stare at another spot in the ceiling!!

So bizarre - like she is "seeing" things. I need to get her off drug perhaps and go for those "as use" drugs ... she is NOT THE SAME dog and it's only been 2 weeks!! OMG..

the first few weeks there are bizarre behaviours as the brain is adjusting to the new hormone levels. Did the vet mention the creation of a 'safe' zone for her to go in line a crate etc sounds like she doesnt have a place she considers safe anyway and is not dealing with things in general hence the shaking and wandering around.

the first few weeks there are bizarre behaviours as the brain is adjusting to the new hormone levels. Did the vet mention the creation of a 'safe' zone for her to go in line a crate etc sounds like she doesnt have a place she considers safe anyway and is not dealing with things in general hence the shaking and wandering around.

Yes she has a crate but in this house (we moved in almost a year ago) we kept the crate as she use to curl up in the room under the stairs as well as under the coffee table in the main lounge where she has her bed.

Vet didn't tell me that the brain needed to adjust to the hormone - she rang and told me to wean her ogg the drug and to try the other tablet where she takes it only when there is a storm.

I am quite confused now as to what I shd do..

the drug is not a hormone. It affects the brain hormone levels which in turn creates different reactions. In the adjustment period the brain can cause some peculiar behaviours.

There is no confusion - follow your vets advice. No one but a veterinarian can give you advice about prescription drugs and that is the law, hence why they are licensed to give them in the first place. If you are not happy with this vet you find another that maybe has more experience in these matters :)

Guest lavendergirl

You can always get another opinion before making any changes if you are not confident with this vet's advice. Did the vet give you an opinion on how common were the side effects she was experiencing? She should have advised you about the different drugs and how they work and the best way to withdraw her from that drug and how to administer the other appropriately. Hope you can get her more stable before any more storms hit!

Guess what... she is better on the 1/2 tablet and no more shaking - i will ring Vet again today and see if I discontinue ie wean down slowly as she has advised OR continue for a few months on the LOWER dose and see how she goes.

hmmmm...

Guest lavendergirl

Thats encouraging. Just as in humans it is often a long process of trial and error to find the correct drug, dosages etc.

Hope things continue to improve - I am sure eventually you will find the answer. :) My dog has separation anxiety and I find it is a matter of trying lots of different things - some work for him...some don't. You need lots of patience in dealing with these anxiety conditions. He is not on medication at this stage though I would certainly consider it if nothing else resolves the problem.