Capstar Dosage?

StaceyB

Hey guys, we got some capstar tablets for Gypsy but the pack doesn't say what the dosage is. Does anyone know how many tablets to give? She's about 30kg, we gave her one yesterday when we bought them, but she's still scratching and rubbing up against things - not as much, but enough to know she's still got fleas...

the packet should have the weight range of the dog on the front, and then you give the required number of tablets every day. she may still be stratching from the bites and may not actually have fleas on her, also if the yard has been infested with the fleas you would be better off with something like advantage/advantix to give a months protection.

but if she just got a few while out then a couple of doses of capstar should suffice.

I usually give capstar before we come home if we have been to somewhere with fleas and the dogs haven't been treated with anything else.

if you only need to deal with fleas and no ticks I would recommend comfortis as it it great

Ok cool, I can't find anything on the pack about the dosage. There's 6 tablets, so I assume 1 a day for 6 days would be correct? We got the medium/large dog pack. We've never had a problem with fleas before, I used to use revolution but since I stopped working we just used the supermarket stuff which has been fine till now. The neighbours have been dog-sitting so the fleas could have come from there... there's a hole in the fence that the dogs barked at each other through before we blocked Gypsy's access to the area.

What colour is the packet? THe blue one is the small dosage, the green is the large dosage. For that weight range you only need one tablet from the green packet.

Edit: they say give them one every time you see a flea on the dog. So check her again, if there are live fleas, give her another tablet. They're meant to kill all live fleas within a few hours (or less) I believe.

Edited by newsensation_cleo

Capstar is done in two sizes, as stated - blue up to 11kgs, and green 11-57kg. As long as you have the green pack and your dog is within that range one is fine, they work within half an hour and kill all fleas on the time, but provide no lasting protection - they are a knockdown of adult fleas and do not prevent newly hatched fleas from jumping back on.