Sorry - Yet Another "what Breed Should They Get" Thread

jr_inoz

ok - I know, another one of "those" thread.

took my little sheltie to a friend's bbq at a park today. Everybody loves her. She loves kids and so the little ones there had lots of fun giving her cuddles and pats. A couple of them were talking about how they will be getting a dog one day. They have obviously been talking as a family because they are looking at either a "spoodle" or a "cavoodle". I said to the little ones, I think a miniature schnauzer might be a better fit for your family, or a havanese. Of course, they went straight to mum to talk. Mum was receptive but commented "we can't afford a nice pure bred dog - we can only afford a cross breed". I told her they were around the same price. (hope this is right, but when i see labradoodle prices of over $1000 I don't think I am far wrong.

I would like to keep "planting seeds" about suitable breeds for them so that they can go and do their research.

So... what breed.

Family with 3 children - youngest is 8 I think. Fairly active family, but not a huge yard. Working dog would be out (unless it was a sheltie or corgi - something that didn't need lots of yard).

Youngest also has pet hair allergies (not all animals - she seems fine with my sheltie), so something low shedding would be good. Yes - I've told them all dogs shed some fur, even poodles. They would need something that didn't require lots of brushing.

They would also need a small dog (not toy size). They think my sheltie is the ideal size.

any suggestions? thanks....

Edited by jr_inoz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly this still includes some cross breeds but I like the table layout and allows you to compare breeds for suitability. Here

This one has photos to show what the dog looks like and then you click on the photo to learn more Here

Oh lordy a list without oodles or cross breeds Yippee

Sadly this still includes some cross breeds but I like the table layout and allows you to compare breeds for suitability. Here

This one has photos to show what the dog looks like and then you click on the photo to learn more Here

Oh lordy a list without oodles or cross breeds Yippee

The list of non-shedding dogs includes a Westie. A friend of mine had one, a very, very nice pedigree boy who shed more than her 3 Aussies combined.

If they like your Sheltie and the allergic child is fine with her then why not steer them towards a Sheltie. They would certainly get a good purebred Sheltie for less than many oodles.

As much as they love her, I think the twice a year coat blow puts them off.

If they like your Sheltie and the allergic child is fine with her then why not steer them towards a Sheltie. They would certainly get a good purebred Sheltie for less than many oodles.

I am so over all these people that want a dog but cannot be bothered brushing it. There are so many lovely long coated breeds that simply get overlooked because of the current fad to get a non-shedding dog. The long coats are so much better shedding wise than many of the short coats. I will never again own a Lab or anythign with a similar coat because that is just too much shedding for me but my BCs, Aussies, Collies, Shelties and many of the Spitz breeds are easy care long coats and when they shed it comes out in easy to pick up lumps, not one hair at a time that gets into everything.

So... what breed.

Family with 3 children - youngest is 8 I think. Fairly active family, but not a huge yard. Working dog would be out (unless it was a sheltie or corgi - something that didn't need lots of yard).

1. I'd say the allergy thing is hard to predict. If a sheltie causes no reaction, many breeds, not just low-shedding breeds, may be ok.

2. For children, lineage may be more important than breed. There are hyper dogs in calm breeds and calm dogs in hyper breeds.

I'd encourage them to consider doing a rescue through an organisation that allows you to take the dog home for a week and return it for an exchange if the particular dog doesn't work out for some reason.

I am so over all these people that want a dog but cannot be bothered brushing it. There are so many lovely long coated breeds that simply get overlooked because of the current fad to get a non-shedding dog. The long coats are so much better shedding wise than many of the short coats. I will never again own a Lab or anythign with a similar coat because that is just too much shedding for me but my BCs, Aussies, Collies, Shelties and many of the Spitz breeds are easy care long coats and when they shed it comes out in easy to pick up lumps, not one hair at a time that gets into everything.

better them knowing what they want over getting a dog that they wont groom and who ends up matted and horrible.

I hate grooming and brushing and this is a deal breaker for me, i dont want a dog that has a long coat as i am not huge into brushing.

I think it is good they are realistic about their desire to groom it.

Personally I have found my Lab so much easier when it comes to grooming and bathing compared to my aussie and I would find it hard to go back to a longer haired breed now.

They are about equal for shedding, but obviously shedding doesn't bother me at all!

Long coated breeds do require more coat care, there is no question about it. You can't never groom a medium long/coated dog, where as you could get away with never grooming a short coated breed as they just can't physically matt!

Non shedding breeds also require more coat care, even more than a long haired breed.

I understand that some people have allergies and a non shedding breed may be more suitable for them but this shouldn't be confused with amount of coat maintenance required.

Guest donatella

I agree with this! I owned a tenterfield terrier, short hair and easy coat maintenance but my god did she shed ALL the time. My Pom gets brushed a few times a week and doesn't leave any strays on the furniture/carpet/clothes because we get it all during brush time.

Guest donatella

What about a Maltese Terrier? Needs very little exercise, very little shedding and people think that they need a big grooming regime but they don't at all. Mum has one and he goes to the groomer every few months for a clip and wash (and the shorter cut you get the less coat maintenance) and doesn't brush him in between these visits and he never matts (she should brush him but gets away with it). I don't see why they can't make brushing part of a fun bonding thing between the kids and the dog but with Maltese (weather dependent) you can get them clipped short and they're good to go.

What about a Maltese Terrier? Needs very little exercise, very little shedding and people think that they need a big grooming regime but they don't at all. Mum has one and he goes to the groomer every few months for a clip and wash (and the shorter cut you get the less coat maintenance) and doesn't brush him in between these visits and he never matts (she should brush him but gets away with it). I don't see why they can't make brushing part of a fun bonding thing between the kids and the dog but with Maltese (weather dependent) you can get them clipped short and they're good to go.

+1

I think the Maltese are a very under rated breed. Beautiful little dogs with loads of personality, great with kids if raised correctly, non shedding and no to low odour, easy to care for grooming wise if you keep up with their clipping every 6 weeks and keep their coats relatively short, super loyal and just so damn cute! I would own one again in a heartbeat, just typing this brings memories of my beautiful Honey girl :cry:. I dont understand why this breed in its pure form seems to be becoming harder to find, yet Maltese x seem to be the flavour of the month :confused:.

Guest donatella

+1

I think the Maltese are a very under rated breed. Beautiful little dogs with loads of personality, great with kids if raised correctly, non shedding and no to low odour, easy to care for grooming wise if you keep up with their clipping every 6 weeks and keep their coats relatively short, super loyal and just so damn cute! I would own one again in a heartbeat, just typing this brings memories of my beautiful Honey girl :cry:. I dont understand why this breed in its pure form seems to be becoming harder to find, yet Maltese x seem to be the flavour of the month :confused:.

there are Maltese x Shit Zu everywhere!

I will never again own a Lab or anythign with a similar coat because that is just too much shedding for me but my BCs, Aussies, Collies, Shelties and many of the Spitz breeds are easy care long coats and when they shed it comes out in easy to pick up lumps, not one hair at a time that gets into everything.

Comes out?? No it doesn't! :laugh: Kivi's shed hair goes nowhere until I physically drag it out with a comb. It's very time consuming for a medium-sized dog, and seems to go on for weeks. Don't get me started on the horror that is a long coated dog with diarrhea. I adore my Lappie and the coat care is worth it, but there's no way I'd have more than one long-coated dog. I don't have the time.

better them knowing what they want over getting a dog that they wont groom and who ends up matted and horrible.

I hate grooming and brushing and this is a deal breaker for me, i dont want a dog that has a long coat as i am not huge into brushing.

+1

I agree with both Teebs and Aussielover that it's better that people are realistic about how much grooming they are prepared to do.

An active family with 3 kids will likely find it easier to incorporate exercise than grooming into their dogs day. I'd rather walk/ train my dog than spend heaps of time grooming it. I picked a breed accordingly. Yes, he sheds a little, but I have to vacuum my house frequently anyway because I have messy kids. Dog hair is least of my complaints! :laugh:

For the family the OP is speaking of though it sounds like allergies are a concern so their needs are more specific regarding coat type. They may have to compromise and be prepared to get a dog whose coat does require more grooming. :)

I think the original suggestion for a mini schnauzer is fine! Great little sturdy dog for the kids, non-shedding and low allergy. If you get a pet clip every 6 weeks, then a quick brush once or twice a week is all that is required.

I recently minded a relatives staffy and was amazed at the amount of dog hair within a few days :eek: Once you have a non-shedding dog, you forget how the other half lives. :)

So... what breed.

1. I'd say the allergy thing is hard to predict. If a sheltie causes no reaction, many breeds, not just low-shedding breeds, may be ok.

2. For children, lineage may be more important than breed. There are hyper dogs in calm breeds and calm dogs in hyper breeds.

Good advice.

The all-round adaptible breed I'd suggest, is a Cardigan Corgi. We had one as kids & she was a superb family dog.

And I thoroughly agree with the second point. Different temperaments turn up in different bloodlines.

I'd also look for breeders who raise their dogs & puppies with access to children. Not necessarily the breeder's own children....but maybe grandchildren or visiting children. And who generally make a point of socializing their dogs & puppies.