Just Need To Vent

corrie

Before I go on I will say that I understand unforseen things can happen dogs escape but I am feeling so damn frustrated at what seems to me to be a very frequent occurence due more commonly to a lax attitude than anything else.

I picked up another stray tonight that narrowly missed getting hit by traffic as it ran down the middle of the road whilst cars flew along. I was travelling in the opposite direction and had to quickly find a U turn whilst repeating out loud to myself "please don't get hit". I have been in this exact situation twice before in the last eighteen months and both of those times it ended with me picking a dead dog off the road.

I know I should be glad this time it ended well and the dog was reunited with the thankful owner but I just feel so peed off that it happens so often and no matter how careless the real reason there is always a good excuse.

I feel your frustration Corrie!!! Yep, some wandering dogs are genuine escapees etc., but I reckon most are due to incompetent humans!

About two days ago my sister and I found ourselves in the same situation :mad Huge dog standing in the middle of the road, cars whizzing past not even slowing down.....I jumped out of the car and raced over the road and by this time the dog had followed someone else with a smaller dog ( who was wigging out big time, and the owner was trying to get her dog away and trying to shoo the other one!). The dog had no collar, entire boy, and a beautiful, boofy, mastiff-y type breed - but I just walked up to him and grabbed him so he couldnt nick off any further. By this time my sister had caught up and was taking her belt off so we could hold onto the big boofa....

Eventually tracked the owner down - was parked on the other side of the road - with all the windows down :eek: And he had the nerve to call the poor dog Moron, not once but twice....Dumbarse :mad

Poor dog. It annoys me so much when its the humans fault and yet they blame the poor dog :(

Oh corrie, I totally agree with you. I'm lucky not to have a seen a dog hit and/or killed but have rescued or tried to rescue a few off roads. A few times ive put a leash on and sort of walked up the street until the dog heads into a house then knocked and asked if the dog/s belong to them. The usual answer "oh yes, thanks hahaha..." or worse "oh he's always getting out".

I really hate it when dogs are running around in roads because 1. The dog may well get hurt but also 2. If I hit a dog and hurt or killed it I'd be devastated as would many other people; and 3. A car hitting or avoiding a dog could cause and accident with other cars, hurting or

even killing people.

So a simple "oh thanks haha" doesn't really do it for me!

ETA Or blaming the dog for crying out loud!! How frustrating.

Edited by Saxonpup

Thanks guys. It is nice to have a vent where people are likely to understand. I think most dog people tend to pick up strays and some seem to be stray dog magnets which is how I feel sometimes.

I am glad you were there to grab the big boofhead, Labrat. Seeing them on the road sure puts the stomache firmly in the throat, hey? Love how the owner blames the dog for their own failings. :mad

The usual answer "oh yes, thanks hahaha..." or worse "oh he's always getting out".

And then there are the dogs that always take themseves for a walk. I have ruined a dogs solo walk before and the owner wasn't very happy about it.

I am always very diplomatic but I think next time I get one of those type of responses I'll go tropo.

Agree with the rest of your post, too.

Years ago, when OH, myself and our 3 girls (aged 4, 11 and 14) were traveling along a rural road, that had only a few houses and open fields. We saw a small dog run across the road. It jump out from our left, where there were bushes, and ran directly towards a house opposite. We hit it, even though we braked, it was too late. The girls saw everything, they were all screaming and crying in the car. OH and I walked back to see the dog, who was dead, OH picked it up and we carried it to the house it was running too. The owners, who must have heard the squealing of the brakes, had come out...the lady was beside herself, the guy took the dog. We tried to explain that we just didn't have time to stop....it happened in seconds.

We found out they had 2 mini fox terriers, male and female, this was the male and was always escaping.

My girls, as well as OH and myself had nightmares for ages after.....I just don't get it....if your dog escapes....yes I have been there, but you do everything in your power to stop it happening again. So why do people allow other people like us, to kill or injure their dog. Its horrible to go through, its even worse for children to witness it....why do people let it happen?

Lynn :cry:

I found a cav wandering through the motel I work at on Sat with lead attached.The motel has a very busy road at the front and the beach at the back.He was a dear little thing and his name tag said Minty with a number.I wandered around the beach for a while and no one seemed to own him and just as I was about to ring the number a women sitting on a beach chair says oh that's my Minty where was he?Stupid woman didn't even realise he had wandered off.I explained to her that Minty was about to become a mint pattie and maybe she should keep an eye on him as the road is very dangerous.She was just laughing and saying how he always takes himself on "his own little walks".I just walked away shaking my head.No brains and happy without em.

I found a cav NYE this year because I had gotten lost. I spent half an hour trying to get him from under my car, which wasn't easy as I was 6 months pregnant. :laugh: The next day I spent with the yellow pages, trying to find any vets or rescue place that was open. I eventually found a place that his owner had contacted, and she picked him up. It turned out that they were on holidays here and she and her friends had hired a "dog proofed" holiday house, and gone to watch the fireworks, and left 3 dogs outside! All 3 got out! Fortunatly all 3 were found and returned safely the next day. Still amazed they didn't keep them in when there was fireworks :confused: